AA [4x4 Supersampling] Nvidia Inspector DmW 3.50 GeForce 441.12

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sunkeepsh3, Feb 28, 2020.

1. sunkeepsh3

sunkeepsh3 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    Hi there,
    Does the setting 4x4 [4x4 Supersampling (D3D Only]) work at all for any game?

I currently want to use the AA supersampling method that renders the game at a higher resolution then downscales. 4x4 supersampling does that, does it not? Has it ever worked?

I do not want to use full screen anti-aliasing: SGSSAA as that only blurs the screen, nor do I want to use DSR or OGSSAA (custom resolutions) (same blurs) as I have to use it on desktop resolution for those to work in borderless windowed games like FFV/FFIX, which results in wrongly scaled UIs and desktop appears blurry.

I figured given the 4x4 Supersampling option in Nvidia Inspector, it would do such, but with it on in global settings (override any application setting), I can't tell if it is on and working, and games performance stays the same.
    Enhance the application setting also doesn't work for any game.
    I also want to know if it works for OpenGL games.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't work for opengl games, use 16xS for the equivalent in opengl.

3. sunkeepsh3

sunkeepsh3 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    I'd like to know if it works in Dx 11 / 12 games as well.
    And if in the end its proven to not work at all, neds to be removed from Nvidia inspector since it has no affect on any game.

4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    OGSSAA works for D3D9 or older games. D3D9 often needs same or similar AA compatibility flag like SGSSAA.
    It's mostly pointless though, since it's much more ineffective than SGSSAA. Sometimes it can make sense to use it if SGSSAA blurs too much.

5. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Depends on game engine.... and hardware rendering.....

6. sunkeepsh3

sunkeepsh3 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    Is this concrete? Is the developer of Nvidia inspector here on guru3d?
    I need more info on the this option 4x4 super sampling and why its even an option if it doesn't work at all like SGSSAA.

7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    *sigh*, this forum is frustrating...

8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Let me start (teaser trailer ;)):
    Which game?

and post all screenshots :

in-game settings, hardware and OS... please :)

9. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    ...had been ~4 minutes thinking of what to reply ...

Thumbs UP.....
    NO REPLY...guru...

10. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    the "FORUM" or this ^ "THREAD"?

....a typo.... i think...hmmmm?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020

11. sunkeepsh3

sunkeepsh3 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    sorry didnt see your post there.
    so your saying the option 4x4 supersampling (D3D only) in Nvidia inspector is basically an unusable version of DSR/OGSSAA?
    I do not see any AA compatibility flags for:

FFV
    FFVI
    FFIX
    Chrono Trigger PC
    FFXII: The Zodiac Age (dx11)
    Tomb raider anniversary
    Tomb raider underworld
    Tomb: Legend
    Silent Hill 3
    Silent Hill 2
    Dx7 older games

Games mentioned above.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

There's an entire HUGE resource on this site on the program if you would just bother to look AT ALL. And your demand someone modify a program because you don't know how it works is silly. Inspector EXPOSES settings in the driver it does not create them or make them work on games. Folks like you demanding massive amounts of infornation yet cant be bothered to even give us their basic system specs so we know where to start are really frustrating. :cool:
    You can start here, in the Nvidia Inspector thread and start reading:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-profile-inspector-2-3-0-11.425787/

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It can work with 11 on forward rendered titles, but not deffered.
    it will not ever work with 12, MSAA must be provided by the game developer.

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    OGSSAA modes only work in DX8/9. Most will require a compatibility flag. If you want to use DX7 games you will need to wrap them to a different API if forcing doesn't work. Probably something that uses OGL and then you can hope that forcing will still work. OGL is hit and miss.
    HSAA modes can be used in OpenGL if forcing MSAA works or if the game features MSAA modes natively.
    SGSSAA does not just blur the image inherently. Neither does DSR. SGSSAA can conflict with shaders in a game and this can cause higher than average high frequency loss. (Higher than ground truth. ) but you can often sharpen this to rectify it easily and create a better middle ground.
    You can use DSR with a very low smoothness value, even 1% if you want if all you care about is sharpness. 1% will introduce aliasing back into the image. But you probably don't care or notice it.

As for your games.

FFV: This is a badly ported mobile 2 game. OGL. There is nothing to anti alias. You could run it in a custom resolution or use DSR with a low smoothness value. But it won't really do anything.

FFVI: Same see above.

FFIX: Ugly, mediocre moblie port. Runs OGL. If forcing MSAA doesn't work (As AFIRemember this port does not offer any AA), your only option is Downsampling via Custom Resolutions (Sharper, more aliasing) or DSR with a low smoothness value(Similar)

Chrono Trigger: Decent mobile port OGL, again there is ZERO 3D rendering> Thus there is nothing to Anti Alias. The scaling here is good without artifacts like uneven pixel crawl/shimmering. Use a CRT shader if you care that much.

FFXII: The Zodiac age. This runs DX11, thus you cannot force AA. You can only enhance the in game MSAA. (HSAA modes might work via enhance but they may not do anything.) With the two methods of AA used in this port there isn't much aliasing left to actually complain about. However if you don't like the soft post processing effects. Turn them off(Which makes the image much sharper and more like the PS2 original), turn off Post AA and either just use MSAA(Very sharp) or use MSAA+Downsampling via custom resolution or DSR(with a low smoothness value). Beware however this port is pretty demanding if you are trying to run at 60FPS.

Tomb Raider games: These are all DX9 AFIK and you probably can easily force OGSSAA modes with the flags listed in the document. Some of these games are already pretty soft looking due to the type of bloom used from that era. So you may want to disable those if there is an option. ( I don't remember). If forcing OGSSAA doesn't work with the compatibilit flags you are either out of luck (Not every game can work with it) or you can decide to run in a custom resolution or DSR with low smoothness values + MSAA if the game's UI don't shrink to the point of being unreadable. (If there is arbitrary resolution support. I don't remember)

Silent Hill games are both DX8 IIRC, you might need a compatibility flag to force OGSSAA still. (Like Hitman Contracts and a few other games), wrapping them to DX9 may also help. I don't know if the widescreen patches for these wrap them or not. The widescreen patches for Hitman 2/3 didn't wrap them and forcing AA is a non issue in those games. (There are post processing shader conflicts with Contracts though that can be worked around)
    https://imgsli.com/MTI2NDg/0/1

If you bookmark this page
    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_anti-aliasing_compatibility_flags_for_Nvidia
    It has the spreadsheet embedded so it is updated instantly anytime entries are added or changed.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Sajittarius likes this.
  15. sunkeepsh3

sunkeepsh3 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    cry me a river. and my specs are on my profile.

that makes since for the latter.

FFIX actually uses DX9, the 4x4 supersampling worked in this game by my tests. because of the mods that fixes all its issues, using DSR on FF9 causes the fixed battle UI to go off screen.
    screen:
    https://i.imgur.com/FJRd0L4.jpg

[​IMG]

FFXII: Its not that I dont like the Post processing, I want to render the game at a higher res via 4x4 super sampling. ffxii ambient occlusion is the root of its performance issue via 4k.

so to sum up, the option 4x4 supersampling is another term for OGSSAA, which is basically a similar thing to DSR, with the exception of not causing UIs to go off screen?

16. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Wow, Mrbonk, Good to see you still around doing AA stuff, I remember reading lots of stuff in the days when your doing tons of AA testing, Had tons of info, thanks again.