My RX 570 is doing a clicking noise!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by InfinityVive, Feb 26, 2020.

1. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    So I recently bought a Refurbished XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB and I noticed something really weird, When my GPU fans run from 37% to 50% it does a clicking noise (loudest at 48%), To give you an idea of how that clicking noise sounds like, Imagine 2 HDDs clicking really much but 20 times faster, It sounds like radioactive uranium clicking noise but 20x faster...

So the problem is that clicking noise is so loud that 53% fan speed is quieter than that noise...
    And something that's even weirder is happening, when I run my case tower the way it is intended to run which is vertically, the GPU does these noises, but when I run the case horizontally like Small form factor cases, It does not do these noises at any fan speed...

So why is my GPU doing that? and how can I fix it?

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There is no possibility of returning the GPU and ask for another one?

airbud7 likes this.
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    sounds like your fans/fan are hitting the shroud...when your computer is in upright position gravity is pulling the fan downward causing it to hit the shroud...when you lay the computer on its side gravity is no longer pulling the fans down as they are floating/spinning sideways.

check and see if there's any in-and-out movement on your fan...also one of the fans could be offset just a tad to.

anticupidon likes this.
  4. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    No, there is not

5. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    OK I will try that, I just asked my cousin who is a hardware expert, he told me it could be a "coil whine" but what is that?

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    coil whine is a (whining sound) not a clicking sound

coil whine example....turn volume up to hear

7. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    I just recorded that sound with my phone mic at 47% fan speed... I will pin it's link and let you decide what it is https://clyp.it/1i1rvv50

airbud7 likes this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Cool^.....yeah that's a fan hitting something, I had a wire somehow get over my CPU fan and made that same sound...are you absolutely sure it's the graphics card fan making the noise?

I like that sound uploading website you used, do you have to sign up to upload sound or can anyone just use it?

9. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    Ye well, I checked for the wires, there are no wires hitting the GPU, I am not sure about the inside though, and I am very sure the GPU is what is making that noise

airbud7 likes this.
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yep, definitely a fan hitting some wire.
    Could be a hidden wire beneath the plastic shroud.
    I would gently disassembly the GPU and take a look.
    Nothing to lose, including you get to change the TIM.

airbud7 likes this.

11. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    Status update: And ye, I just got the GPU out of my case, Checked the fans, turns out the right fan is shaking at it's bearing when the left fan is not shaking...
    So how can I fix it? why is the right fan shaking in it's bearing? I tried applying pressure to the right fan to make it go deeper in it's bearing and it didn't work, it only made matters worse... why is that happening? how can I fix it?

airbud7 likes this.
  12. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    Ok but the problem here is that if I disassemble the GPU I will need to re-apply the thermal paste and I currently don't have any thermal paste in my house...

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-am...7uU7GY-B_sUsLOfYfyxoCjHAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    make sure it's the right size and fit for your model

14. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    I am not here for a fan swap, I am here to see what is causing the problem and fix it
    Edit: And the fan shaking is not as bad as you think, because if it was a defection the sound would increase when I increase the GPU fan speed, but the sound gets gone at 50% fan speed

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    according to your post (#11) it sounds like your fan is broken...I believe the only fix would be to swap it out with a new one.

what exact model XFX do you have?

16. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    If the fan was broken the sound would increase when increasing the fan speed, but actually the clicking noise is gone after 50% fan speed, so why?

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    If the fan is "shaking in it's bearing" as you stated in your post the only fix I see is a fan replacement...maybe another member will chime in and have another/better idea.

18. InfinityVive

InfinityVive Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 570
    It is not shaking that much, But the other fan is more stable, but remember, when I run it horizontally it does not do that, and when I run it vertically it does that problem...
    Is it really broken?

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You could try this

read the comments on that video a lot of good ones

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I cant listen to the clip at work but I'm currently having a problem with my card. It made a whirling sound at fan speeds over 55% and quite noticeably at 70% (though not normally a fan speed I'm using). I did an RMA which fell under normal 1 year warranty and my card will be replaced with a new one.

I guess your RX 570 is older than one year right? Otherwise that would be the best bet.