AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    No issues with a Vega 64, using 12.1.2 presently.

I still think some of these issues are both driver and hardware combination oriented. Hopefully AMD finds a fix for everyone.

Undying and OnnA like this.
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Doesn't your MSI B450M Gaming Plus motherboard have Asmedia USB controller? If it does, try disabling it.

patteSatan likes this.
  3. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    +1, never buy a mobo with asmedia usb. if you already have it consider burning it ritually while dancing naked or at least disable it totally

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Not necessarily, tho from a tech support perspective I've had my share of cases where the driver supplied by Asmedia either under perform, and/or they don't play friendly with other hardware installed. My mobo has an Asmedia controller, but is using a Microsoft supplied generic driver. (Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub)

patteSatan likes this.

5. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    yep
    https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...-when-using-asmedia-sata-or-usb-drivers.2944/

6. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    All my USB/SATA stuff in DM says they are microsoft, can't find any trace of Asmedia name under details or elsewhere, so guess i can rule that out :)

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Actually, no. The drivers may be sourced from Microsoft, but to ID the hardware, you need to check the Vendor ID of the USB controllers. On mine, it said "Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub" supplied by Microsoft, with a hardware ID of "USB\VID_174C&PID_3074" If you google that, you'd find it's an Asmedia Vendor ID. (174C)

patteSatan likes this.
  8. bobalazs

bobalazs Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 4Gb
    False. Newer forward switching supplies are efficient across loads, same as 20% to 80%

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
  10. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    How is the testing going? Ask your crystall ball :D

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I recall an app called Belarc Advisor that would retrieve data like that. It's been around for a long time. It can also provide you with keys as well (but I don't know if it works right with MS Office keys though). So it's good to use every once in a while if you want a print out of your app's keys.
    https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

I recall OC'ing being reset after a reboot but so far, at least with 20.2.1 things have been working good. I just checked today and my undervolt settings are still preset to my liking.

One thing I don't like is the added processes. I count 6 of them now. 2 of them are this Task Scheduler Configuration Tool which is for AMDLinkUpdate and for InstallManagerApp. Why are these commands lingering in task manager? I don't have amdlink enabled and I don't believe that installmanager should be showing up in task manager? I still don't know what this is being linked to task scheduler and why it needs to do so in task manager.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the installer sets up a number of tasks via the scheduler which I just delete the ones I know I won't require since Link uses a mobile phone app and the one for opting in to AMD's User Experience program I can opt into via Catalyst Settings instead of having it done by the installer for some reason.

Then there's some extras for ReLive if Radeon Settings is started without renaming those files for the desktop overlay and host service and one for I think a earlier DVR (Relive) which has since been removed but that still gets added but does nothing.
    Which along with removing the startup reference for Radeon Settings itself (I just use that once to confirm and re-set the Wattman profiles since those are defaulted during the driver installation.) leaves the two AMD services and possibly the DSR program. :)

InstallManager is what AMD uses so it probably finalizes something possibly during reboot. (Located under C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Bin64 )

Guessing there's still a bit of work transitioning over into the Adrenaline software and settings even some years later and not all options carried over for some reason and there's still a small part of the legacy settings software remaining but it'll probably be cleaned up and overhauled in time.

And hopefully we'll see 20.2.2 either later today or tomorrow and whatever this will do. :)
    Focus on overall Adrenaline 2020 improvements or Navi GPU fixes or perhaps some of the regressions for Vega and earlier though that might be less of a priority. (Stuff like improvements to Radeon VII's gone about a year now without fixing I think.)

Fixing hardware acceleration would be a good one, improving the downclocking algorithm would be nice and making the system more stable with multiple monitors connected would probably be appreciated to name a few bigger things. Black screen issue I can't really say much about as I don't know if it's one issue or multiple and then how this affects GCN and RDNA and thus you get a very complicated issue but I suppose that's kinda well known by now.

Will be fun to see what the release notes will be whenever it's out.

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I wouldn't be mad if RTG delayed drivers until next month if it meant they found fixes. I found something else that interesting.
    Some games do not appear to play the same in win10. In MW 2019 you can hit the window key and it will auto back out at desktop. But with Division 2 you have to use ctrl-alt-dlt. The window key does work but it brings up the Start menu and you can notice the fps slowing down.

I've found that with Division 2 the game seems more stable and runs a lot better. Not sure what to make of it other then different game engines working different ways in win10. I get the impression with modern warfare 2019 you're still in Window mode even though it says full screen. I do not get that impression with division 2.

BTW you can get Division 2 for $3:
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-division-2/home

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  14. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    This month has only seen one driver release, I think people expect a disproportional better experience the longer they have to wait for the next one, and I really do like the two-week cadence they used to release drivers lately.

Undying and Strange Times like this.
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Eastcoasthandle likes this.

16. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Supposedly, it will be HUGE.

Do hope they will manage to iron out the black screens and the system lock-ups....and Tuning Control being reset...and overlay disappearing... and game profiles not fully working...and maybe even stop checking for new drivers when set to Manual(you'd think should be super simple)...

AMD driver department? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I was surprised how consistent GPU frequencies are. I'm undervolting at 1081mV at 2070Mhz which is just about 2025Mhz in game. Using 20.2.1 drivers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  18. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I am 1070mv at 2100 which is around 2000 for me.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I take it you have power limit at 0%?

20. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I am at 20%. I found that at 20% the wattage and volt is stabilized. This may help stuttering even if the card lowers the clocks.