Apple bid to avoid $440 Million infringement penalty fails.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Feb 25, 2020.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The United States Supreme Court on Monday dealt a blow to Apple in a decade-long legal battle over whether the iPhone maker infringed on another company's patents.
    The Supreme Court declined to consider Apple's appeal to avoid paying nearly $440 million to technology licensing company VirnetX (VHC) for violations of its patents.
    VirnetX declared a "triumph" over Apple (AAPL) in its statement. Shares of VirnetX increased significantly after the ruling, and closed up 12% on a day when the larger stock market saw significant losses.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/24/tech/apple-virnetx-patent-fight/index.html

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Aw man, there goes couple Ferrari that CEO wanted to own :D

I also find it interesting how different USA citizens use either CNN or FOX for their media injection.
    Same probably goes to other countries, but it is much more obvious in USA.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Weird, how you're implying something about me just because of the source of factual news. I personally don't use Fox News because it is in fact a propaganda arm of the GOP and they lie constantly since you brought it up. I don't watch MSNBC because, while they lie less, they are still politics and opinion, just like Fixed Noise. You probably see CNN as EXTREMELY BIASED and EXTREME LEFT WING, because...well, why do you? Because your media injected you with that? I might also add that in some other countries, there's essentially State media and no option.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    bobblunderton likes this.
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't watch USA news... I actually hate all media news, it's all propaganda to me :D

bobblunderton and Brasky like this.
  6. Then you agree with more than you disagree on and isn't that what matters more?

@HeavyHemi great article; thank you

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I'm surprised we didn't see more comments on patent trolls. The company suing Apple exists solely to profit from their IP portfolio. They make and produce nothing. I suspect that if Apple were better liked, they might have more defenders. Ha ha.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. It pays to play as it were; suing Samsung while they were full-filling an A3/A4? license never helped among a myriad of other bridge-burning moves in my eyes...

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't know if I am an outlier in my thinking or not but, I personally do not have any issues with Apple, the company. My dislike, if you would even call it that is Apple's marketing, their IMO excessive hardware costs, a seeming form over function and a motivated cadre of fanboys to defend it. I think it is the fan boys that turn me off on Apple more than the company. I feel the same way about linux. I have nothing against the OS, some of its fan base, turns me off.

10. Probably not? They're very successful for good reason, people like their products. That isn't to say that they like the company but if the consumer base shifted it'd be noticeable. There are alternatives to Apple devices and services Apple's consumer base is aware of but they still prefer Apple, irregardless of what public opinion or optics or media may cast so I think it's safe so assume people consider whatever "risk worth the reward" in the same way we take medicine we aren't always keen on but know we may need despite the fact - it's a big marketplace there are alternative drugs. Possibly not the best analogy but I'm watching TV here...

Personally I think they made some bad lawsuit calls with business partners in the past (nothing new necessarily) that garnered too much spotlight dragged on too long; once may have been a one off but Nokia, HTC, Motorola, Kodak & AT&T to name a few. The details in some of these strike me a bit petty. Hey that's not Apple specific and I suppose if I worked in legal I would need to keep busy. When I left Apple (As a former employee anything I write can be assumed Bias) I felt the repair program for our products declined and it became harder to obtain support on non-mobile devices. However that's to say Apple has become a better mobile devices company if you are a Apple mobile devices user, so there's a supportive comment of mine for them.

They are a strong advocate of the "software as a service model" which I believe is another form of monetizing product and removing the ability to own it; to purchase it possibly but not own a permanent license for it. The macOS Catalina 64-bit only binary operating system is yet another move in that direction for Apple and their business partners, Adobe being a major player.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2020

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    From VirnetX's own website....

According to their own website, they do in fact have a product.
    https://www.virnetx.com/about/
    Here's a link to their product page
    https://www.gabrielsecure.com/

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Okay, they have VPN software service like PIA. You got me.

The users on the Apple app store...."
    haya1299 ,
    Don't Waste Your Time
    People have been saying this app comes from a "patent troll" company, but giving VirnetX the benefit of the doubt, I decided to give their app suite an honest tryout and here is what I think; The app has a poor UI. The app seems to have been created hastily. They allow you a 30 day trial, but not with the claimed full functionality. It's awkward to move through the app and VirnetX gives the impression that you can use their suit to communicate with anyone, but you can only communicate with other Gabriel users.......so what's the point? Also, it seems Gabriel has been available for less than one year (well after iMessage/Messages and FaceTime, so I must agree....VirnetX is a patent troll! I cannot believe Apple still has this junk on the App Store. I think I'll jump on the bandwagon........hey VirnetX, Apple, Microsoft, Google.....I invented the computer......pay me!

"What do you think about the other 95% of the topic?

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's 1 user, concerning 1 version of the product.

VirnetX doesn't hide the fact that communication is limited to Gabriel users. It's also, according to the website, intended to be a commercial product. That doesn't invalidate the patent. Filing a single suit against Apple, doesn't make them patent trolls. Apple, on the other hand, files for patent after patent, and then tries to sue everyone. Apple filed suit against Samsung for a "rectangle with rounded corners".... Apple tried to sue a railroad company over a clock design. Apple has tried to sue companies for using a picture of an Apple in their company logos....including a small "mom and pop" restaurant.

Companies tend to file for patents before they have a marketable product. "Inventors" tend to develop a working model, then file for a patent without having any thing marketable. If the patent system was changed to make people like you happy, progress in nearly every field would cease..... Companies would have no reason to invest in R&D of any type because they'd have no way to protect their investments. Apple was given a chance to license the patents, but instead they tried to have them invalidated. Quite frankly, $440M is chump change for Apple.

A lot in the US seem to choose their media outlet based on it's political bias.... Doesn't matter if the information they spew is accurate or not, as long as the political bias is right. If you want accurate news, the mainstream media is the worst source, regardless of the subject matter. They all tailor to their viewer base to get better ratings, even if they have to fabricate stories.

A few years ago, the local ABC News affiliate ran a story claiming a Samsung Galaxy Note exploded on an airplane. Turned out, the passenger felt his pocket get hot, he pulled out the phone and dropped it on the floor. It left a small burnt spot in the carpet of the plane. However, the local ABC News affiliate made it sound much worse than it really was to stir up fear and get people to watch.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Exactly like this. Major news media won't deliver neutral news, but rather shout whatever benefits its political views and investors, no matter how hard they have to bend the story.

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Wrong about myself for hating media news? Damn dude, you are wrong about your crush and your life choices, surrender your soul now :D

Don't worry about sheeple, we are the ones that being manipulated, one way or another.
    Reddit did a number to brainwash me to hate Trump and Russia. I am ignoring all political and related subs now.

As far as you exposed to the media, you will see the World the way they want you to see.
    Sometimes, I like to watch USA, Japanese and Russian news about the same subject, it amazing how differently its presented.
    Just pick your poison already, there many flavors. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This thread is turning political, where you at mods?

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Muahahahahahha, welcome to my world! :D

It's not so bad here, mostly left, but sometimes right with ups and downs.

Where is mah compass at?
    [​IMG]

jbscotchman likes this.
  18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    (in general, not at this forum) Years ago, people used to disagree using facts and I used to enjoy a good debate. Sometimes (mostly) folks would agree to disagree. Occasionally people would go in open minded and learn something new and once in awhile, they may even grow a bit. But these days? Jesus H Christ. Healthy debate is nearly dead.

jbscotchman and Brasky like this.
  19. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Social media isn't social or media. You are completely correct.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This fine is a drop in the bucket for Apple. Seems almost petty for such a large company to be bickering over such an amount for a decade, but this is Apple after all (they tried to patent a grid of icons, among other things).

Apple products have a halo around them, acting as something of a status symbol. It's not that Apple does a better job or produces a superior product, but people are so keen to own an Apple product that they will overlook its shortcomings. I used to own an iPod Nano back in the day so I know the feeling. The problem with Apple products is the narrow ecosystem. I got an iPod video later on and had to convert all my videos to an Apple-approved format, something that got extremely tiring after a while. The moment that I decided to dump them completely came when I got a Samsung Galaxy S2, which was able to play virtually all media types.

Apple's legion of fanboys also defend the company to no ends. When Apple removed the headphone jack they were proclaiming that Apple is leading the wireless revolution (even though the iPhone still needed to be plugged in to charge while Android phones were able to go completely wireless for years). When Apple replaced all the ports on the MacBook with USB-C and people complained about not being able to use their SD cards, they defended Apple by blaming camera makers for not implementing wireless data transfer (a very expensive solution while SD cards were universal and cheap). Whenever there's a problem they blame the victim, or say that it only affects a tiny percentage of owners, even though people like Louis Rossmann very clearly demonstrated Apple's often disastrous design decisions.

What was particular telling (to me) was the reaction to the iPhone 4's relatively small screen size. Apple fanboys were saying how a screen size of 3.5" is perfect and that a larger phone wasn't needed. And yet, when Apple released an iPhone with a larger screen size it sold like hotcakes. This shows that Apple users themselves often times aren't happy with Apple's design decisions but put up with whatever the company produces anyway. Even though the competition offers what they really want, they wait for Apple to implement it instead of switching. No other company benefits from this kind of blind loyalty.

sverek likes this.