Bethesda removes games from game stream service GeForce Now

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Well, they removed everything but the latest Wolfenstein title with the cringe worthy sisters.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    ... but it's got RTX! :D

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No explanation?

Luc likes this.

5. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Have fun with those cloud gaming services where you do not own anything and everything is potential vaporware.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    exept the money spended ;)

7. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Ya, tried Uplay + for about 20 days ... until the game I wanted was on discount on steam ... Thing is, maybe for a kid it;s cool to pay 10 - 15 euros and play a lot of games ... but for us adults it money lost as we simply don't have the time to play anymore like we used to . Heck when I feel nostalgic I just load H3 and play for a few hours ..

8. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    To be fair you never owned any game you've bought. You just aquired a licence to install & use the game on a specific system. You were also not allowed to change or alter (hack) any parts of it.

Luc, Undying and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    My big boxes from the 90s on the attic say otherwise.

Order_66 likes this.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not really. The licensing is the same regardless if you have it on physical media or download it.

Edit... I understand what you mean though. I have a rather large collection myself and physical media, manual etc etc, gives you more a sense of actually owning a thing.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  12. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I also still have a lot of stuff for my Amiga500. i can play those games yet i dont own them.

13. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    Well, I think it's no needed.

Consoles, PCs and servers, have similar hardware, all are computers.

But if you buy a game for a console, it doesn´t mean you can play it on other platforms, that's where services like Xbox pass makes sense.

We must look at GeForce Now like another platform, even if its hardware is the same.

I think it's naive to think that game studios will allow an unloyal competition with the rest services like Statida, Microsoft's, etc., that already pay their taxes to offer those games.

At Nvidia they assumed the loss of the console market, so they are trying to enter the next big market alone, but they are hurting the actual ecosystem with their intentions, so publishers will only alow sponsored games to be available, maybe.

At the end, I think this will force even more a performance segmentation on PC between AMD and Nvidia, with a really difficult road for Intel.

Maybe.

[Edit] I've been reading about around the web during last days, and this one is the only forum where there isn't any battle between kids praising or blaming Nvidia and Bethesda :D

airbud7 and Undying like this.
  14. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Firstly, both are Windows PCs. The distinction you're trying to make is no different from saying that actually my computer can't run Fallout because it's an AMD computer and therefore a different platform than someone's Nvidia computer. The platform we're talking about is PC. Nvidia is offering PCs which is no different from a PC bang which have existed for decades.

Secondly, you've made a logical leap from "these are different platforms" (which you did no work to show how they're actually different) to "different platforms means you can't play other games" (which you also did no work to show why different platforms would preclude certain games). Funny though, I bet you wouldn't accept Bethesda coming out and saying their products can no longer be run on Linux and demanding that WINE be changed to not run the games yet SURELY we acknowledge that Linux > Windows is at least as different as Windows > Xbox.

Go back to the drawing board. Logic in this argument makes zero sense. You literally didn't think about this for more like 15 seconds and nothing in your post does any of the work to actually convince anyone of anything. You're just shouting claims into the ether.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Exactly what i think...

Order_66 likes this.

16. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    I'm not shouting nothing... Am I?

Please, let everyone think what they want, don't talk instead of no one.

About the rest you said...

That isn't my logic, it's markets' logic, as it is nowadays.

Nvidia must pay in one way or another to publishers if they want those games, they already paid for Cyberpunk, it's good news for its users.

At the end it will only depend on Bethesda and Nvidia to reach an agreement. Things will change and most of computing will be moved to the cloud in a future, but I cannot predict every agreement between every player.

You said it's Windows... OK, you won, end of discussion, forever...

Take it easy ;)

17. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Yeah consumers having more choices is really terrible, we must have unreasonably powerful IP laws to protection the multinationals rofl.

I guess gamer cafes should be illegal too, they also rent out hardware to play your games.

18. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    That's not how GeForce now works. That's how stadia works. GeForce Now you play your own games on Nvidia hardware. You are paying for GPU processing time and infrastructure not games.
    And streaming has no appeal to competitive gamers because of latency, gamers are buying 144hz+ displays just because it shaves a few ms off, streaming will never replace gaming on your own equipment, only supplement it

19. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    We have paid for the games! The Nvidia service is just a gaming VPN, in the same way you can log into steam on your local pc and play games, or go to an internet cafe log into steam and play your game, you can log onto a remote PC provided by Nvidia and play on that PC. You can only do that if you already own the game.

20. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    I think the legal position of Nvidia is called intermediary or middleman: they are doing business and making profits with another's IP, so if the publishers are the legal owners of those rights, they can ask for a compensation, thats why Nvidia pull off those games and they are looking now for an agreement, and it's easy to guess that they will do it.

Someone can call it greedy, shure it is, but if Bethesda allows Nvidia doing it freely, many other companys will disagree with them and will ask for something similar.

Internet cafes could also be treated as an intermediary, and asked for an compensation if local laws allow it, but it could be a total loss of time and money for publishers.

Nvidia is a big player and an easy target. This kind of things are totally normal.

Anyway, remenber that Nvidia can offer Bethesda services and products as a compensation, to not suffer a big impact on their business model, as they do as a sponsor for many games, like with last Wolfenstein game.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.