New AMD Certification Entries Hint at Big Navi GPU?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think it will come in around 2080Ti performance but I also don't think 3080 is going to be much faster nor do I think a 3080Ti is going to launch this year - so it should be pretty competitive as long as the price stays fairly low.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Finally a chip worth providing 16xAA in 4k HD for my favorite game:

Minesweeper

(You saw that coming, didnt you?) :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    You reminded me to try this. I actually re-enabled that just to see what happened. Coming out of sleep works just fine. Although I replaced the SSD already as it was giving me odd boot up problems.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well at the very least the black screen issue is not anything personal, it's a shared problem through out AMD GPUs and it's been verified by AMD as an issue.

If it was just you getting the issue i'd be more worried. It's sound like an issue that's really a none issue since it can fix itself with a reboot. Still annoying i bet but nothing too bad.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're referring to the "black screen" issue.... There's no proof that it's driver related. There's also no proof that it isn't related to MS or DirectX, given the timing that the "issue" supposedly occurs. There are a lot of users that have no issues at all, which makes it less likely to be a single cause or trigger.

6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
  7. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Would not touch an AMD GPU with a bargepole, no matter the performance. Drivers are just too shoddy, and you would be stuck with a card that doesn't work properly even 12 months later

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    One would assume considering this black screen issue only affects Windows users with the AMD driver. Drivers under linux and framebuffers under Mac OS have no issue. That being said, I highly doubt it's MS or DirectX related.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've had no more issues with AMD, than I've had with NVidia....

Not everyone has issues. There are actually quite a few of us on the forum using AMD cards with no issues.

There are enough people not having issues, to say it's unlikely to be only driver related. Could be PSU related....could be all the "tweaking" and other stupid crap people do.... could even be a hardware issue....

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Except AMD already acknowledged this.

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/radeon_graphics_cards_black_screen_bug_is_haunting_amd.html

11. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    You mean AMD shouldn't fix things on their part? Interesting logic...

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Interesting that you read things that aren't there.....

13. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    "unlikely to be only driver related"

That implies that the driver isn't the only problem, which doesn't let AMD off the hook. Partial fault doesn't mean no fault at all. Interesting that you are contradicting yourself.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    A video on AdoredTV seems to point to it being a driver issue which apparently has been discussed a lot on the AMD subreddit.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

16. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Undying likes this.
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    finally 96ROPs

[​IMG]

This thing is going to be a monster, no doubt.

BetA and Undying like this.
  18. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Tired of "waiting" for AMD to have a perf card.... Not holding my breath on this release...

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Where exactly am I contradicting myself?

Not sure the presenter on AdoredTV is qualified to make such a declaration. Is he a driver dev? Has he been involved in the development and testing of AMD drivers? No offense to you, but until AMD comes out and says it was driver related, I don't really care what AdoredTV has to say on the matter. To my knowledge, he doesn't have adequate background to make such declaration and anything he says should be taken with a large helping of salt....

I've experienced "black screens" on 2 occasions with my RX5700, that haven't been directly linked to a specific game. The first was after using DDU a few months ago and the second was after my R5 1600 overheated. Since replacing the R5 1600, I haven't seen a single "black screen" outside of 1 specific game. Consequently, limiting that same game to 3 CPU cores, prevents the "black screen" from occurring entirely.

24GB of HBM..... At that point, I think $999 would be wishful thinking.... Doesn't sound like something that would be targeting the gaming market.