NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's been pretty common knowledge for a long time now but i'll try adding a note to the document.

KainXVIII likes this.
  2. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Sacred 3 is a DX9 game according to PCGamingwiki; any suggested bits to use? (Also this released in 2014? Thought it released earlier o_O)

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Just try some bits that have worked on other games. Trial and error. I always recommend the default safe sort of bit to start with. I mentioned it a few posts ago too. That should always be your starting point as it covers most use cases.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Tizoc likes this.
  4. xvt

xvt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Suprim X
    Just a couple of quick notes regarding driver sharpening on my end:
    Screen shake never goes away after x amount of time. It only does not occur if I run the game in windowed/borderless windowed mode or if I use the game's own MSAA (if available), which is a shame.

Upon further testing, it seems DXVK ignores forced AA/HBAO+ driver settings for D3D9 (only sharpening works, maybe because it's a post processing effect that's added at the end of the rendering chain? curiously, FXAA doesn't take hold neither).

This happens either because the wrapper -which works as an API call translator- prevents the AA/HBAO+ calls from taking place (since there is currently no way to force them on Vulkan), they simply get ignored by DXVK (since it spoofs GPUs to present them as AMD, but I already tried with the setting off and still no positive results), or get lost in translation/not currently supported.

You can, however, force MSAA (d3d9.forceSwapchainMSAA) with dxvk.conf, but this only makes use of vanilla MSAA. In-game MSAA options still work as usual.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Vulkan cannot have forced AA or HBAO period.

6. xvt

xvt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Suprim X
    Correct, I'm not saying you can.
    DXVK is a wrapper tho and the jury was still out on its behaviour regarding forced driver settings, so either the API calls that make these flags work on D3D9 have no Vulkan equivalent or they're simply ignored by the translator.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Game > Wrapper API > Driver

Game talks to wrapper first, Wrapper talks to driver, the driver doesn't see what api the game was using at all.

8. xvt

xvt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Suprim X
    I find it curious how during my testing, dgVoodoo's DX11 works just fine along with SGSSAA (wrapping a DX9 game, Dragon Age: Origins in this particular scenario: had to use in-game MSAA and use the enhance option in drivers), which gave me hope that the same would happen with DXVK.
    It's possible that dgVoodoo's wrapping method just works in a way that allows such behaviour.

Anyway, I was just reporting my findings.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Enhancing is always different than Forcing. Pretty much any game DX10+ that has MSAA in game can be enhanced (Though often to mixed results that require additional downsampling)
    In Vulkan the calls in the driver to enhance probably don't exist because half the point of Vulkan is to give the application lower level control right?
    I haven't seen any examples of a program with a Vulkan backend that also offers MSAA support to attempt to enhance it to SGSSAA. Though I don't think it would work anyway.
    That would make sense that it can't interfere.

Wrapping DX9 would of course change things. Because the driver is being fed whatever other API instead by the wrapper. It's intermediating between the two.
    I played a few hours of Killing Floor with forced SGSSAA and sharpening and after some time after boot up I never noticed the screen shaking again. (I still ended up going back as I was used to how the game looked anyway. If you want less blurry SGSSAA in KF you just have to disable Bloom)
    I haven't tried other games though.

10. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sorry for offtopic here, but in case anyone should have the same problem with Crysis 3 (or Crysis 2 in DX11) - framerate capped to 30-62.5 FPS on high refresh rate monitor with any in-game settings, any resolution and regardless of VSYNC state. It is a problem with low system timer resolution which can be easily solved by setting it manually to about 1ms before starting the game. You can use the TimerTool utility for that. Default value of this timer is set to about 15.6 ms and this caused the problem.

BTW timer resolution should be set as a request be each game according to its needs. At least every other engine does that. I can't believe Crytek would be so incompetent and skip this so I presume it is some kind of bug in their initialization functions and/or Windows DX libraries, because all i takes is just one API function call.

didamangi likes this.

11. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    playing days of war only lately (day of defeat tribute), it is pretty well optimized and runs on UE4, it has temporal aa in two quality levels which works nice but blurs too much, enabling reshade's lumasharpen and leave it at default does a good job

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Mupen64Plus Standalone

I figured out that you can enhance the MSAA in the latest Standalone builds (OGL HLE renderer) of this emulator at ANY resolution.
    Meaning you could even play at 1x Res (240p) with real AA. It's pretty interesting to see how good it looks.

Also: If you still run Windows 7 without Aero. You need to force Vsync via the drivers for FSE. Or use RTSS

Some Screenshots
    1xRes No AA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/1xresnoAA.png
    8xMSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/1xRes8xMSAA.png
    8xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/1xRes8xSG.png
    https://imgsli.com/MTIzNjk/0/1

High res No AA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/HighResNoAA.png
    8xMSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Highres8xMSAA.png
    8xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Highres8xSG.png
    https://imgsli.com/MTIzNzA/0/1

https://imgsli.com/MTIzNzI

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    didamangi and Cave Waverider like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you should use aero at all times.

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Aero is nothing but problems in W7. (I've never had a good experience with an emulator that doesn't have FSE.)
    Anything that is borderless only Scanline Sync works well enough for. I'll use Aero only as a last resort.

Plus for whatever reason in the latest Nvidia drivers unless I disable the "Nvidia Display Container" service (Which disables NVCP) Aero doesn't even work. It forces Windows into basic mode.

15. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Seems like Prototype 2 SGSSAA bit does not work anymore..

16. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I guess the Black Mesa v1.0 Beta didn't change things on AA front?

17. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    This is unbelievable... I wanted to use ReShade to remove some of the blur cause by SGSSAA, but imagine my surprise learning that doing so breaks the enforced AA. What the actual fu-

18. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    For Jack Keane 1
    0x00000044

This bit doesn't seem to work when using Override, as I still see jaggies :X

EDIT: but this bit works!
    0x084012C1

At the least it smooths stuff out and applies a nice AA solution to it. IMGUR link I know but I did a quick screenshot to show it from the early game.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    wesamalfarra and KainXVIII like this.
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Add the depth bit. 0x00400000
    This will allow forced AA to work with Reshade. Also you will have to use higher than normal sharpening values as SGSSAA will affect the ReShade shaders as well. But you can attain great results with tweaking.

But to be clear are you trying to use AA with the old Black mesa or the new updated build that pushes Xen to main branch?

Thanks i'll add that .

Tizoc likes this.
  20. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Xen was pushed to main branch long ago. The game is currently in version 1.0 beta, with final 1.0 being scheduled for 5th of March release.