Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DeathDealer175, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Create one, simple as, no need to refund.

2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    isometric rpg? naw it is a hack and slash.

diablo was an action game with rpg lite elements always was, they play nothing like iso rpgs.

i like the occasional iso rpg, fallout 1 and 2, baldurs, divinity 2, pillars, i hate action games diablo part of my extreme hate for it was it being lumped into "role play" game of the year when what year was that? i forget but fallout baldurs something rpg came out that year that was actual role play games based on role playing mechanics.

Arpgs is about accurate to how they play, and they are boring. unless your wild about a setting maybe like the warhammer 40k arpg i keep eying depsite hating arpgs. diablo needed its own class of game.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Last boss Act 1 phase 3, damnnnn...what a sudden difficulty spike. And I was hoping for the no death achiv.

4. chr!s

chr!s Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX™ 3080 TI
    lolz - stuck there too at the moment.

5. Yep, I believe this is a bug, because most parts of the game are extremely easy, while this guy can instakill you with one ranged attack. The second boss, at the end of Act2, is the same thing. During his last phase, he can instakill you as well. I'm almost at the end of the game. Good fun though.

6. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Act1 boss even phase 3 wasnt hard for me and this with a mage! I dont know why so many people are complaining. Attacks are easy to dodge. Act2 boss on the other hand is a pure clusterfuck and totally annoying and super hard with a mage.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yea his Shotgun type attack is vicious and so is the leap attack.

If one had infinite rolls it wouldn't be too bad but if you are in range then he does the sweep attacks which have a huge range and eat half your health and then he does the leap which is deadly quite often. Not sure what kind of mage you are but I found that the only way for me was stay close and use Infinity Blades. Roll away when he does the leap and try to move away from the slashes while using pots all the time and also the Divinie something skill (though 15 sec CD).

8. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Im a "common" mage, if you could say that. And i only have one extra dodge point. My movement speed is 6m/sec.His beam i could easily dodge and if i recall the swipe attacks i could avoid either with a dodge, too or move out of the way (since i always try to attack from a further position). Possible there was some luck, too where it could be close.

My staff (extended char stats) has a 30% freezing effect chance and my main spells are with Lightning/shock and "beam of darkness". I didnt play with a summonable character this fight, only started to using summon golem later at this point.

Infinity blades are nice, to gain willpower quickly, so you dont have to use the standard attack so often, but like i said, freezing chance, i like to give effects when using my staff to gain willpower, so freezing or stasis (aether) is a good option.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  9. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Only played about 6hrs so far but what can I say except that this game is sweet! Lots of potential here and the transmog system on its own is a minigame which I approve because you gotta kill them nasties in style! ( saw a guy on reddit who did a really cool Mortal Kombat Scorpion transmog :D ). Currently playing... some sort of class ? A bruiser I suppose. Trying to re-create the whole "spin-to-win" build from D3 but need to level up a bit I think. Hoping there will be a DPS orientated sword and board build that I can make work in the end.

Ran into a few bugs that still need squashing, the bladestorm sound effect kept on playing even if I stood still but quickly remedied by bladestorming again. The other one I had, my character was slowly spinning 360 degrees as I was running in a straight line. Last but not least I just returned to town and when I went to put stuff in my stash the window popped up but I couldn't deposit anything nor close the window even if I opened the map or hit ESC, had to relog to make it go away as nothing at all seemed to work. Some odd bugs that made it to live, I know its a 13 man studio but they probably should have delayed the release by a month or so and focus on squashing these little annoyances to really go for the gold.

Solid game though and I'm glad its finally in a mostly playable state, I hope they put some polish on it soon so we can maybe start seeing some additional features being crammed in like a seasonal ladder thing just so I can admire my position of 18.766 because I haven't got the time to invest to go for a top 1000 spot.

10. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Whirlwind barb! What a build.

Is stuff like that possibly in Wolcen? I'm very tempted but it seems to be loved by some and hated by others.

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Kind of. With melee you can use the same skill but you need rage (cant be activated at 1st on default because you have no rage but willpower) to use it and/or has a cooldown, depends how you skill it. So, you cant spam it (like in D3).

So, i finished act1 final boss again with my 2nd char (warrior with shiled) and also didnt die once. Im more freightened with the upcoming final boss in act2...yikes!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  12. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti

Haven't watched the vid but I think one of the skill trees has an ability that will convert willpower to rage which should make the build work.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone know if it's possible to force 16:9 aspect ratio on a 21:9 monitor? Had to RMA my card and am temporarily using a GTX 760 which cannot really do 3440x1440 that well but playing in 1920x1080 zooms and stretches the image which makes it look really bad.

14. I've finished the story. I still believe the game has very good potential. A lot of things are done right or are very well copied from Diablo. End game content looks much better than I expected as well.

So, what would I improve (from gameplay point of view)
    - I don't like occasional lags that can occur when casting "aether jump" (teleport) or dodge, these lags can sometimes be game breaking (ok I admit this probably belongs to bugs).
    - There is only one (and only two-handed) weapon type for willpower regeneration .. staves. There should be more and some one-handed + catalyst types would be nice addition.
    - This game desperately needs item "recalibration" (similar to Div2) or proper crafting. Maybe there is something at the endgame, I don't know about yet.
    - More spells/skills. Compared to Diablo 3 there is not that much of viable combinations to play with.

I only hope they won't give up and will keep updating the game for some time to make it really good, coz some bugs I experienced throughout campaign were really ugly.

chr!s likes this.
  15. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    every time a game of that genre comes out.. i find myself searching YouTube for -
    "Diablo II 2020" or "Diablo 2 latest patch" or w\e. damn it. brings me back to those
    dark days iv grinded my Javazon for thousands of hours.

lol ;/

i like Wolcen. i hope it has a good future, i feel sometimes that those type of games
    are cursed when compared to Diablo II. takes THAT much of a great game to reach those
    levels... ah Blizz North.. damn it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Hm okay, i made my own Whirlwind build and as you can see its pretty "easy".

Thats supposed to be a party mission in endgame, i didnt know after spending the 1000 of that blue currency, so i tried it anway. And well, look at that chest at the end, lol.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    A few patches have been released now but it still feels like a stuff in the skill tree don't work at all. Has anyone encountered the same problem? What's the status on this topic?

18. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Wolcen Bloodtrail is now out, the first bigger content update for the game which also comes with a host of bug fixes, QoL improvements etc.

Patch notes:
    Steam :: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem :: Patch Notes 1.1.0 [Part 1/2 - New Content & Balancing] (steamcommunity.com)

This is what I've been waiting for. After the rocky start I put the game on hold and when I eventually felt like coming back to it, rumours were circulating that they were bringing out a bigger update so decided to wait on that and its now out as of today.

For me this is perfect timing as I've been playing the new season in D3 but it just feels stale now seeing as the games basically in maintenance mode and I'm itching for some ARPG action. I still have most of the campaign to play through in Wolcen so this will be like an enhanced experience and should keep me busy nicely through the weekend and possibly longer.

Rundown on some of the new stuff from some youtube geezer.

SpajdrEX and Undying like this.