Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    mhm... I went on my desktop pc and uninstalled all the chipset drivers for this too and it feels just slightly (not much noticeable) better. I will never install chipset drivers anymore. Also after it tried to ask me to reboot to make sure the settings sticks, i just press restart later and my HPET disappeared from device manager, once i rebooted, it came back. (this time i did not uninstall it, still left disabled)

Curious but now i have a SM Bus Controller that has a orange on it, it has no drivers i can find, its definitely related to the chipset driver install. I just have it disabled as it was informed chipset drivers do nothing except text or so forth. I think i remember FR33THY on YouTube have his set up this way as well. FR33THY is a gamer online and YT that does tweak videos for gaming. I've submitted a reply to his videos hoping for a reply back.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    One time I did ask him about timers and stuff - because he stated many things in that video but without proof. He did reply to me like I was attacking him. To me he is not a guru.

PS The tweaks you do in Device Manager is complete nonsense to me. But it is your rig, so you can do any experiments not looking at other people.

Smough likes this.
  3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Well, this is probably the most convincig comment I've ever read. Thank you for this, also your benchmarks were very useful.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I joined their Discord to talk to the "experts" in Windows tweaking. I posted a screenshot from Latencymon and some random value were a bit over a 100. One of their "gurus" said "over 100 is bad", I asked him like 4 times to explain to me what does the reading exactly mean, why over 100 is bad and what I could do to solve it. His next answer was worth a 5 year old: Its bad. He said that 2 times, then just ignored me. Then I mentioned this to another "guru", he also said "its bad". I asked why and he literally responded "because its bad".

It was baffled at the massive stupidity, I left a message calling out their nonsense and that their behavior was pathetic, then I just left that sad place. Its like if you question fr33thy's tweaks, his minions get angry. They have no idea what mostly of what he does means, I mean, he doesn't even know either. But must be good, right?

Also lots of users with bricked Windows installs at that Discord, due to following his recommendations and the ones from some users in there. They really didn't know much on how to help these users either. One of them had bricked his Windows install like 5 times because his Latencymon numbers weren't "low enough", so he kept "tweaking" and breaking stuff according to what some "gurus" in there told him, apparently he was having issues with some games, so these "experts" told him that was the cause, of all of the causes that could cause in-game stutter. Imagine that.

5. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It sounds like nonsense definitely, but after i do em. Like you said and others have said, chipset drivers do nothing. But for some reason they do DO something. I have noticed it does not seem to be as laggy. Right from a reboot/cold start, my taskbar icons don't load up quick enough, its been like that for quite some time, sometimes its due to windows updates and sometimes its due to who knows what else factors involved. It's weird...

Some things to note: ** Before when i load up youtube, and i press the settings icon for the player to check my resolution in video, it would some what hesitate, with the Chipset uninstalled, it feels smoother. Again i know others will want to bash me for stupid comments like that. Going to retest for the next week and hopefully if nothing happens and left the way it is, i'll comment back or reedit this post with my conclusion. That's if i remember to lol. Thanks again MBK1969.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  6. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I always test them out, i might listen to him but i will always go into the settings and look at what he does and perform a test before and afterwards if its better ingame. Depending if i do good ingames, it might be a tweak i will leave enabled or disregard the tweak.

7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I didn't read the whole story about your drivers / HPET issue but from what I gather, nothing you do will bring the HPET to device manager? Would it be possible to find someone with the same / similar model of PC with a correctly listed HPET and just copy their registry entries for the device, boot commands and drivers and manually insert them? I've done this with other devices successfully. Although honestly this stuff shouldn't be that hard, I don't know how you're managing *not* to install it. Sorry if that sounds mean, it's just I'm baffled.

8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    That fr3thy guy said chipset drivers are bloatware. I mean, what the hell. He didn't even explain why in the first place or why you don't need them. At many of his videos, he just says "this makes your games slower" and then proceeds to disable something, then keeps going at another step. That's just a no no for me. If you Google chipset drivers, they ease the communication between your different system components; CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. They allow your motherboard to know what to do, in a way, they connect everything and they are important. They don't consume any system resources, if any, they manage them a lot better.

What I don't recommend installing is the Intel (R) Management Engine, because that's aimed for remote communications and other stuff that its not vital for any system nor gaming unless you specifically need it.

Also you should really disable Windows Update or at least, use something such as O&O Shutup10 to stop Windows Updates overwriting any drivers you have now. You should pick any Windows version, get the latest compilation and keep using it until you are forced to update manually because you really want a new feature or a new game needs a more recent Windows version.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Xtreme512 likes this.
  9. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    i don't know how to bring the HPET back though, there is no exclamation mark on "High precision even timer", there is literally no other device in here that requires anything to mess with. I simply can't bring it back. I will most likely need to reformat my pc, or wait for win 10 v 2004 to come out and hopefully that might help.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if its not in device manager, its not enabled in bios.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Both test methods - taskbar icons and settings dialog in player - are not reliable. You can`t measure them and you can`t store results to compare. Human memory is shitty storage.
    Use benchmark apps. For example, https://benchmarks.ul.com/pcmark10 - it has free version available at Steam and here at Guru3d.

12. PanosXidis

PanosXidis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF
    this pcmark is good for benchmarks about bcdedit commands like useplatformtick yes and stuff like that!!!!!!if no diffrence just delete bcdedit commands

13. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    No, I don't think I will.

14. PanosXidis

PanosXidis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF
    @Smough you are use bcdedit commands?if yes what commands?

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    do people still mess with this?, I just leave it only at this point, there no reason to mess with this less you already having latency issue even the.

My asrock z170 extreme 4 "has" the HPET table enable but Hpet is not used timer

Smough likes this.

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    A question regarding timer resolution. It shows 0.999 or something like that when setting it to 1.0
    "bcdedit /set useplatformtick true" changes this to 1.0
    Is it important?

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    0.999 is 1.0

18. ralphedison

ralphedison Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 970
    I disabled HPET in BIOS but there's still an HPET driver that still appears in the device manager; I'm using a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU. My previous mobo with intel CPU has HPET removed in the device manager when I disabled HPET in its BIOS. Does it mean that some apps will still use HPET on demand? Thank you.

19. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Why did you decide to disable it? Were you having some sort of issues? Also, Windows doesn't use this as default and if you disabled it on BIOS, you just made the rest of the timers on your system have no proper syncing. Who told you to force it off?

RodroG likes this.
  20. ralphedison

ralphedison Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 970
    So having it on in device manager does nothing?