Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If Intel platform, have you tried to install Intel chipset drivers?

2. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Even if there is a line in those inf files for it, you can't install a driver for a device which is not present as something "unknown" (or something similar). And adding the driver to the store should not make a device appear out of nowhere. But it shouldn't disappear either.

3. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I've tried updating rather than reinstalling because the chipset is a 3rd gen and was hoping that'll help maybe. It does not update. Say's because my system is incompatible. I also uninstalled the older chipset inf since i remember hearing its pointless to have it. I've also uninstalled Intel MEI and it no longer shows up in device manager because that is date from win8 and im on windows 10.

Also i tried reinstalling older Intel MEI driver and it now will not install saying its incompatible probably because its for win8 and not windows 10 but it sure was left in device manager once i upgraded though. I went and restarted and it reinstalled... eh... okay

I'm able to install the older chipset drivers but i'm not going to because its for upgrading from win7 to win8, (not win8.1).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    A MEI resource (firmware images, firmware flash and checking tools, drivers + help to identify your platform and pick the right packages) collection: https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
    And an Intel chipset INF page (mostly just "text-only" [not functional] drivers + similar help to pick the right one): https://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Intel-Chipset-Device-quot-Drivers-quot-INF-files.html
    A great utility to list and purge stale drivers (or even force-uninstall functional ones [only at your own risk though!], as well as manually adding any drivers to the store [for later auto-install by Windows when a device is recognized]): https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases

Oh, and run the INF installer exe like this (from the command line or create a shortcut and append the target line): SetupChipset.exe -overall

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  6. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    i can't do clean installs, too much work to get it back to working shape. I think ima wait till Windows 10 2004 comes out and hopefully HPET will be reinstalled.

7. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Well, i installed a newer version than the one for my notebook and it feels slightly peppier, don't know whether it was that or it was because i used interrupt affinity policy tool lol.

The new version for mine is like V11.0.5.1189 rather than old V11.0.****

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  9. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    i will try if it gets outta hand, right now its kinda getting out of hand. my notebook has an issue atm with the "SFC /SCANNOW" command, i manually went into regedit and deleted instances of qualcomm ar8151 driver that keeps on liking to reappear after uninstalling it... This is what happens when you leave drivers on your pc and do not press the box that says to uninstall the driver and software with it and its hard to get rid of it. i had to manually look through it to try and get rid of it, left my pc so badly corrupted from messing with registry and system32 subfolders that i felt like i might need to reformat. I left my desktop pc in this same shape like 2 months ago and somehow figured out how to do it then and the sfc /scannow command is working properly, it feels buttery smooth. No reformats were necessary. I wished microsoft updated Windows 10 to make sure to always uninstall ALL drivers that come with softwares everytime you uninstall the software packages, NO BUTTS ABOUT IT so that the pc will continuously run smooth and not much garbage left behind. I love DDU for nvidia, wished they had something like it for other drivers.

That driver store explorer does not work, it will uninstall it and reinstall afterwards a scan hardware changes or reboot. it's practically doing the same thing i did with device manager, i also had a killer ethernet e2400 nic driver on my notebook for some reason as i noticed it in my notebook driver store in windows system32, couldn't believe i actually tried to install this on my laptop awhile back -_- I tried to get rid of that as well. So pretty much i have problems with the qualcomm ar8151 driver continuously reappearing and the killer e2400 nic was left in the inf folder in system32 and couple other places... PITA, none of these uninstallers will manually get rid of it. I've tried killers uninstaller from their site and advised them like 2 months ago to hopefully have their engineers update it to get rid of .INF's, not just software & drivers bundled together. It will not find .INF's unfortunately even if you have some lurking in your registry/Windows sub folders.

EDIT:** After a reboot/Cold shutdown via button because notebook became unresponsive... Before, i was getting a weird issue where the command "SFC /SCANNOW" would stop @ 4%. Now it's checking 100% and fixed the issue for me, considering it was two reboots/shutdowns for the command to work properly? With a span of 6-7 hrs in between the issue. I finally don't have that problem anymore. I always use commands:

"SFC /SCANNOW

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /SCANNOW"

in this order... to make sure everything is vetted out so no problems.

Does anyone know if i install a clean custom install of WIndows 10 home edition from microsoft's various downloads they have that i can use the windows 7/8/8.1 serial for that?
    SO CONVENIENT :D I got my Windows 10 edu from them that was the latest one awhile back, like 1903 in july when i upgraded to NVMe.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Since you are gonna reinstall Windows, most probably, you should try the LTSC/Enteprise versions. Much less bloatware and in general, it has just the basic services for Windows, meaning no Cortana and no pointless apps. Ironically, it is excellent for gamers or power users who need a fast and stable experience for Windows without any stupid changes from MS because it only updates the bare bone basics, it doesn't force a new Windows version into you and it doesn't give you, for example, pointless and forced driver updates.

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/dump.php?seach=ltsc&str=25&lang=es-ES

You can get it from there and buy an activation later on.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    It does. Windows doesn't use it as default, I don't even know if it uses it at all. I decided just to disable it, but you need to keep it on BIOS or it will mess some timers up.

12. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    With it enabled (within Windows) my mouse is very laggy and it sometimes "skips frames" for a lack of a better word like when your CPU usage is topped at 100%, honestly at first I thought that Windows Defragger or Defender were running on the background but nope it was "set useplatformclock true"
    My current settings are on the previous page, they work great.

13. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    On newer Windows versions, the timer tool sets itself automatically to 0.5 ms in games? That's interesting.

14. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    It does in 1909. although I can't say it does for every game out there, at least it does for the games I play.
    btw I just use timer tool to check the timer since it has real time readings, not to change it.

15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    That means its better optimized for games. 0,5 ms is the "correct" timer for apps that require very low latency, as a game. I just decided to keep it at 1,0 ms because that's what 1803 sets the games to anyway. I still need to make a decision, either install 1903 or 1909 or just wait until Windows Pro 2004 to see what changes it brings. Or install LTSC 1803 again or 1809. Decisions man...

16. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Hi, so i went back and relooked what you told me and had some time. Uninstalled all chipset drivers from notebook, looked through it to make sure there were no more with driver files that contain Intel with them. I know these are the chipset drivers. Any who, i installed the old win 7 to win 8 chipset and it did not get back HPET.

I realize my desktop in the general tab in device manager, it tells me the location is: on Intel(R) Z87 LPC Controller - 8C44 <- This means its the chipset. Unfortunately no luck, now i've tried intel MEI & chipset.

Curious, but what is System Timer in device manager? It has the same location pointing to Z87 LPC Controller - 8C44. I'm talking about my desktop when i mean this. That sounds like that could possibly bring back HPET if i uninstall it and it maybe automatically reinstalls it?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @limey

Tinkering with LPC controller may resolve the issue with missing devices connected to it. But instead of deleting it I would suggest force manual installation (through Device Manager, "have disk" method) of some newer chipset inf-files.

System Timer is most probably the RTC.

18. PanosXidis

PanosXidis Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 SUPRIM X
    Hello there i Play MW and R6 last times!!my opinion and conclusion about bcdedit commands you dont need useplatformtick and nothing!!!!!!!!only the power saver laptops and thats it!!!!!all is placebo

19. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    You are not a worthy PC masterrace fellow if you don't tinker with placebo values. How dare you!

mbk1969 likes this.
  20. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    We thank you for your valuable (and well-articulated) input to this long-lasting discussion.

Now frack off

Smough and PanosXidis like this.