The Effect of the Covid-19 Corona Virus Measured on Tech Industry

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Lives are more important than churning out gadgets. We all have more tech than we need anyways. Hope the correct measures are taken to do what's right instead of letting greed win.

sykozis, toyo, jaggerwild and 5 others like this.
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Damn, it's gonna have an impact. I thought this was gonna be the year for updating some of my system...hmm, I want to get on RTX 3xxx (Ampere) right on the crest of the wave to get the "best performance value for longest", but prices might be a little inflated....and do I need it, my games don't really demand it at the moment...hmm gonna have to see what plays out from all angles (both new games / new products & new performance along with price).

4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    You have to write `Damn it is going to have an impact` even without knowing if you ever want to upgrade and at what price, even considering that you are commenting around a fact that is costing human lives.
    Every company used every power loss, earthquake, flood to eventually rise the price or justify an higher price.
    And your problem in front of a virus outbreak that is affecting workers is that maybe your eventual upgrade for possible more demanding games could be affected?

ceesay and Taint3dBulge like this.

5. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

If there are going to be any "new" games coming out for awhile. If this thing continues to spread all Asian countries will be quarantined. Lets hope for the sake of the world and all those billions of people, that this thing gets contained quick. It looks like Japan is going to be dealing with a major outbreak now too. Sad Sad times.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Don't want to scare everyone too much. But official numbers do not add up at all. Signals readable from them are very bad.
    Once we start considering reality of:
    - 70%+ people having mild symptoms (undetected and taken as seasonal flu)
    - some people having no symptoms for over 3 weeks, but are infectious (original quarantines for up to 10 days on travelers)
    - this virus jumps human to human since early December 2019
    - Models used for spread across the globe included only airplane travel
    - Railway travel poses extreme hazard for spreading to other travelers (exposure time is rather long) and dropping infected at every stop along the way
    - Car travel ignored too

Number of confirmed infections is slowly growing in each "relatively" unaffected region, which means there are hidden carriers. May take month or six, but outbreak seems rather probable in each and every place where virus can survive outside of host for prolonged periods of time.

Now to the really bad...
    Mortality rate ranges from region to region with practically same populations from 0 to almost 20% of confirmed cases. This can be read in multiple ways.
    - Most optimistic way: Only critical cases were tested in region with high mortality. And at same time total number of cases was severely under-reported.
    - Most pessimistic way: once health system can no longer take care of sick people, natural mortality rate is rather high and other regions did not come to that state, yet.
    Rally bad part is that we do not know what treated and untreated mortality rate is. And it may as well be very bad for populations without medical aid.

One can say that Diamond Princess situation is fist larger isolated system that will let us know real mortality rate we can expect on global scale. There will not be any under-reporting. We can expect that anyone on that ship already came to contact with virus. And those who will not be tested positively can be counted as strong enough to resist initial infection.
    - - - -
    Sorry, but not sorry if I triggered anyone's sentiment. Thing like this is not about individuals anymore. Not about you or me. At this point, I expect to come in contact with this one way or another within 6 months even while all 100+ people tested in our country came out negative.
    (Europe is coming into season perfect for virus spread in next 3~5 weeks depending on location.)

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  7. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Is that why there's a shortage of Valve Index helmets?

8. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    To me this looks like a monopoly and China should not have this much control over the rest of the world. Why are other countries not able to produce, greed. Companies try to save money by putting everything over seas then when crap hits the fans the market just doubled in cost for same products. Looks like prices will go way back up to the memory war days. All those graphics cards are going up ten fold.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Human being are dying by the thousands, clearly you need to take a break from Video CARDS!!!!!

sykozis likes this.
  10. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    People need to quarantine them selves and stop hanging out in large groups and going on cruise ships when there is a deadly virus spreading the globe.

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Easier said than done if you are poor and living in the most populous area of the world.

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think you should get off your soapbox! Of course the virus outbreak has a human cost, but we don't want to read post upon post of people supposedly lamenting the people that will surely die from this outbreak...that's obvious, but this is a tech site and that's the spin I put on it - nothing wrong with that, and maybe you missed the title of this article!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
  14. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090