Sony PlayStation 5 Dilemma: might be too expensive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 17, 2020.

1. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    If ppl want 4k@60hz you could have that right now, games just need 50% less details & fx like grass, volumetric smoke or shadows of distant objects.

It's only about what the focus is - better IQ or 60hz really. You don't necessarily need a PS5 for that. And any future game could bring the PS5 down to 30hz with an overload of details.

It's just pure marketing imo.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

If you order that table by units sold - the xbox 360 missed out by <3 million units, and, the PS3 was nearly a year late and yes, you are right about the Wii - didn't the Wii have the same/similar chipset to the Gamecube?

The lifetime numbers are amazing for Nintendo, 754 million consoles sold over the lifetime of their home games consoles.

As for me, probably PS5, and most of that is down to the fact you can get super-cheap PS4 'hits' like Uncharted for pennies now (brand new) and these will work on the PS5. Super cool.

I just do not think Microsoft will win this round, and Halo/Gears/[w/e] mean nothing to me, as Microsoft have given me the option of playing those games on my PC/rig anyway...so what is the point? Especially when it comes to MP games, because on the 'box, I gotta spend money every month to Microsoft (same as Sony) and so no, I don't think so...

Yogi likes this.
  3. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Except you're not going to get a 4k60fps capable console for many many years. Regardless of what might be claimed. Not going to be the reality

signex likes this.
  4. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    No console is cheap here in Australia. PS4 is still way too expensive here.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Xbox gamers are used to a higher priced console with the Xbox One X. PS gamers on the other hand are not. PS 4 Pro was not an immediate success. However, PS4 succeeded due to initially lower price and no drm to lock discs to consoles like MS originally planned (and had to backtrack on).

I'm certain that Sony's prime strategy to get as many early adopters as possible with PS5 is to be cheaper than X Series X.

6. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Just checked Amazon Australia. PlayStation 4 Console 500GB Slim Black is 379.00 AUD, which translates to 235.57 Euro, so same price as here in Europe. Why do Australians never learn that currency conversion rate is a thing?

7. That_Guy

That_Guy Guest

GPU:
    2080 ti
    Except 500 bucks wouldnt even be too expensive when you see the beast it will be. A mid range CG cost this, without accounting every single other part. I dont see any issue with it being 500. 400 or 500 is almost the same, if you can afford 400 you can afford 500.

signex likes this.
  8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    For the hardware it's being put inside, make it 499 USD and call it a day. 4k@60fps, just do it.

Fediuld likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    With 108 million units sold and 36 million subscribers of PlayStation plus passed 34 million in 2018, this generates (ready?) ‭$1,700,000,000‬ per year based on the following math:

34,000,000 x $50 (avg.aggr) annual subscription cost.

That is the thing, because this number of 1,700 million dollars, kinda states that is does not matter, when you are making those kind of numbers without selling one console to do it.

This, is the what Google and its failed stadia junk was all about - a subscription model no one asked for or wanted, because they are already paying a tonne to MS or Sony as it is, and those accounts are worth more than losing the account and going to another service.

This, is also why M$ screwed up with the XB1 - even though it has been seven years, I am still in utter SHOCK they did what they did with the console. M$ could have (after the enormous, gigantamassivetitanica success of the xb360 and xboxlive sub) sewn up the console market for decades. I've said this before, but all they had to do was release something that ran bluerays, 1080P/60fps and was double the power of the existing machine, with tonnes of vram. No, instead they released a piece of junk, no blue ray, not vram, a fascist camera, always on internet, DRM insanity, tonnes of teeveeteeveeteevee/CoD/Sports BS and THEN, they attacked the playerbase on twitter calling them idiots for not having high-speed internet...

It could all have been theirs, as far as the eye could see...

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I read somewhere that it'll come in 3 flavors, mainly just SSD size.

The top one has a 1tb m.2 and is said to cost £450 uk.

11. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Using the official financial report figures :
    Sales per quarter the Xbox 360 sold 17.3 million units between Winter 2005 and summer 2009 where it stopped,
    https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Xbox_360

PS3 sold 80 MILLION between Winter 2006 and 2013! It was 23 million to 2009. (came to the market 1 year late). 64 million to 2011!
    https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/PlayStation_3

https://web.archive.org/web/20140702143333/www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ach-80-million-units-worldwide-230771611.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox 360 was primarily a failure because it came only with a DVD drive and had to buy external HDDVD drive to watch HD films. (or not at all later if you wanted to watch BD). With the launch of PS3 including BD drive, SONY outright killed completely the ongoing battle between the two HD formats (BD vs HDDVD) selling a whole console at the price of a BD player back then. It was a boon to buy a PS3 over a 360 just because of that. Only hard core fans of Halo, Gear bought a 360 and still many of them bought a PS3 because of the BD ability.

Those of us old enough, remember pretty well how things were shaping back then. If MS wasn't that greedy and came by default with HDDVD on the 360, it could have killed SONY & Blu-ray (a SONY product) outright in 2005 before the later could have a response.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  12. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Umm... You might want to check your figures and sources again. As far as I can tell vgsales is quoting US 360 sales vs global ps3 sales in those quarterly tables and their sources are hilarious (one is actually a forum post and they reference their own wiki on several occasions, at one point in the last paragraph saying that as of Jan 2009 the Xbox has outsold the PS3 by 7 million in the US )

Bottom line seems to be that both Sony and Microsoft shipped more than 80 million 7th gen units and Sony seems to have edged out Microsoft sales by 2 or 3 million. Neither company seems to care to let us know actual numbers.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I remember the PS3 being $700

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh i am expecting 399-450, I prefer to be sold for 399 the ps4 pro is sold for

399 is pushing imo for console, I bought ps3 when it was what 599? Never again will i pay that and according to Sony the will never again launch system at that price. 399$ I would by it with out much a thought, but if more then that I wont buy it till there sale of like 100$ or something sorta how ps4 pro was being sold at 300$ recently.

if it gona cost as much as my video card or more. and still be worse then my gpu and or rest of my pc why would i want pay it. and unless it exlusive it come to pc anyway at some point and tend to run better.

ps3 launch price was 599 well in the USA not sure where it was 700 wouldnt be surpised if it was more in other territories

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Auzzie land... the land of more expensive because reasons.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    :eek::(:oops:

price are just getting stupider as time goes on and i I sure tariff and other taxes to have thing imported in dont help

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I wouldn't say they lost the generation, but I do agree the OG PS3 was just too much. They tried to stuff too much into one package that people didn't actually need(card readers, 4 usb, cell CPU was just expensive on its own, at the time built in wifi, bluray at the time was expensive, and having the emotions engine from the PS2 built right in).

You have to remember there's also the the Series S possible announcement with a lower price.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    You aren't wrong, last time I got a top of the range video card it was $1000, now top of the range is $2000.... the mining craze didn't help.

chinobino and Maddness like this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well damn I would never pay 1000$ for gpu, I dont care how good it is. 300 about the highest I would pay tried paying 400-500 for gpu twice each time I regretted it, and 1 of the 2 time I got refund on bought something cheaper, Then again me getting the 500 card threw step-up kind made impossible to get refund .

20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    If ps5 with those specs come out and sell for 450-499, would be awesome! I know I am dreaming but imagine to be able to jailbreak it and install windows on ...it will be THE budget gaming pc ...but i know not a chance :p