Best Storage for files?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hyderz, Feb 13, 2020.

?

File Storage

1. External Drive (HDD,SSD)

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. USB flash drives

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. CD, DVD discs

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Cloud

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. None (print them out and seal them with film)

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hey forum dwellers

In your opinion which is the best way to store files long term?

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Brain. If you die, the information vanishes with you.

Best storage while being connected to PC or completely disconnected after file transfer?

I think CD/DVD/Blue-ray is safer bet, since there less things that can go wrong with it.
    HDD might fail due to impact or simply mechanical failure, even when left alone. (Max 5 years)
    SSD/Flash need to be refreshed to keep data on. So data won't last very long from what I understand.
    Cloud is unpredictable and requires internet connection.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    External drives are they way to go.

4. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Personal files and documents? Spread them out in free cloud services like google, onedrive , amazon, icloud etc. Use the encrypted vault options if available.
    Google got the option to transfer files if you do not log on for some months. On there you have your password to access everything else and a personal will if need be.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/how...-trusted-person-when-you-die-2018-8?r=US&IR=T
    ( I just selected someone in the family. Left a will and passwords, the person do not even know about it).

5. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    It all depends on what you need the storage for and the meaning of Long Term:

Files that wont be update anymore: CD / DVD / External HDD
    Files that may update from time to time: External HDD

Cloud is not a bad place for long term storage but it depends on if the cloud services remains. You also shouldn't put any sensitive information on the cloud.

This is all for personal use. For business there are also tape drive etc

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Oh, the old conundrum.
    The 3-2-1on backups. Various locations with various external HDDs.
    Or NAS duplication, but it's getting expensive.
    Cloud is a mixed bag...yes, you could do it but when you don't have internet access, it's like you have nothing.
    Flash is a big no no for me , has the ugly surprise to find my RD400 NVME SSD drive blank without my data only after 4 months of no use.
    Just use mechanical drives and tapes. Old school.

7. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    thanks for the responds guys, yeah ive got a kid on the way and pretty sure im going to take quite a bit of videos and photo's, but what im going to do i think im going to make an photo album old school. That way if something happens to the digital copies not all is lost and i think the videos, i might need to burn it into a dvd.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Google photo is also convenient way to backup photos and sort it by albums. Sharing also very easy with family members.

pimpernell and Hyderz like this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Hyderz I will steer away from anything Google having your newborn pictures.
    There are some open source alternative who will respect your privacy and will not data mining your digital whereabouts.
    Ask yourself long and hard:
    Do I really, really want my beloved newborn pictures in the Google system from day one?
    This is the gift I will give, this is the digital wellbeing I am offering?
    Really?
    Old school pictures and old school album.
    Your data. Your privacy.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you want privacy, stay away from internet or host your own photo server, that compiled by you from open source that you can 100% trust.
    Can't verify if someones server running unmodified open source software and providing it for masses.

You want keep your kids digital well-being? Wrap a mask around them, since there dozens of surveillance and others camera outside.
    Or even better, wrap a tin-foil hat on its head. Good luck!

Oh! And don't forget to forbid relatives from taking pictures of baby, cause I am pretty sure they want to put it on their facebook or instagram. Or photo will automatically sync to iCloud without them knowing.

11. I like to have local backups done on a fault tolerant NAS, and have a second set of backups offsite, typically via cloud.

12. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    well cant really stop relatives from taking photos lol, but i think a few pictures here and there on social media is okay. Im not gonna upload 300+ pics on facebook. Reason i put up this thread is that things like cd and dvd is also not safe from getting destroyed. I had a few cd albums that was just sitting on the shelf for a good 4 years before i decide oooo i wanna listen.. and bam mould growing on them cds. I guess that was bad on my part i was handling it with dirty hands at that time. As for hdd i had half of my trip to japan gone because of mechanical malfunctions in the hdd.

As for internet danger, just gotta educate them about the dangers of the internet and social media when they get older.

Yeah hope there is a good solution in the foreseeable future.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    External HDD, in the form of NAS with data redundancy.

an SSD is not good for long term powered off (years) storage as the cell charge gradually weakens and eventually data loss occurs.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yeah, the typical response, stay away from the internet.
    One should find a balance in the use of technology.
    We are surrounded by technology, I am not saying to go full Amish and wrap people in tinfoil.
    Just use technology in moderation and try always to pass judgement on big corporate players dealing with your data.
    By not advocating privacy, we are lost. We can argue endesly about the fact that there is none and we lost that battle long ago.
    Can you please @sverek respect an opinion and the right to have an opinion, whatever that opinion might be?
    I never ridicule you, or anyone on this forum. I am just saying my part. If my opinion is plain stupid or ridiculous, please ignore it and keep going with your own set of ideas and values.
    This forum is what we make of it. This is where lies the value of this forum, the simple way of giving and sharing information and listen and try to understand better what you are reading on this forum bulletin.
    My message is moderation in using technology that we can't fully control.
    We can't go full Stallman as we can't go full Balmer.
    One should find a balance in between.
    Cheers!

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you want to battle big corporations, please host your own servers and services. Or just simply pull the plug as I typically responded.
    To value your own privacy, you have to understand and decide what to give to the big brother and what not.

I don't lightly trust Google with my photos, since I understand that my photos will be mined for the profit and research purposes.
    I can tell it cause Google already telling what photos, representing what and may as well group photos by processed categories.

The issue I have with your response is that you don't provide any valuable alternative.
    If you don't trust Google, what makes you think small brother that claim to run it service on open software won't sell your data to big brother?
    You should also put that risk into your calculation.

Where you going on with your privacy?

If your opinion about taking matter into your own hands and control your privacy, I support your opinion. But it didnt sound like that

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Point taken.
    Sorry for poor choice of words, and misunderstood your post. In the end we are on the same part of the barricade, but each one fight in our way.
    And yes, my post was lacking a viable alternative and you are absolutely right to point that out and say the things by their name.
    I am listening to the message and try to practice what I preach.
    NextCloud / self hosted cloud server
    Sync.com, Mega or pCloud for cloud service with zero-knowledge and privacy driven solutions, but they aren't free.