Radeon Graphics cards Black Screen bug is haunting AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    I hope AMD enjoy the fruits of last years profits. I will probably buy Ryzen 4000, but I'm switching to Nvidea next graphics upgrade. Strange how they admit to the problems shortly after the 5600 gets released.

2. aPerson

aPerson Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 8g
    It is found in Windows 10 power settings:
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292971-pcie-link-state-power-management-turn-off-windows.html

or:
    power and sleep settings
    change power mode
    change plan settings
    change advanced power settings
    PCI Express -> Link State Power Management -> Setting: Off

Same monitor? I doubt it. But how many monitors reused the same vendor for their display port decoder as Samsung did for their free sync monitor?

It is unlikely this will solve everyone problem. But it worked for me, so why not post it? Sounds as if you already tried it :(.

have you tried a different display port cable? Had a similar issue with 30' HDMI runs having issues with 4k at 60 hz, where the screen would either flicker green or just go black. That was cable quality issue, but it sounds similar.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  3. morrk

morrk Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800XT
    The first issues I had was with a Samsung TV. The first few drivers with the black screen issue only seemed to black out that panel.
    There seemed to to be efforts to fix the issue with later drivers but those efforts resulted in all panels going black :)

4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Never had an issue on my PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700XT @ 2250MHZ core 985-990MHZ RAM 375 watt TDP 18amps SOC 180amps Core. And I do not run the new drivers from AMD also. No 2020 shits for this guy.

Still on the release before the 2020 and have had zero issues in game and or out of game. Rendering inside my unreal 4 engine....anything I do I've had zero issues.

Clean OS install. Even have third party apps like afterburner, gigabytes RGB lighting controller.

One thing I have learned is that GSkills RGB lighting software will throw some gnarly anti cheat faults for games that use the same anti cheat that Halo MC uses. It'll keep you from playing games.

5. raypozas

raypozas Guest

Curious how many of these bugs occur/have been reported on Intel Boards or AMD Boards?

6. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    All AMD here baby!! Looks to be that way for the foreseeable future as well.

Waiting to grab up a new GPU here soon from team Red and slap that bad boy into my tRX40 Xtreme board with my 3960X. Hoping for something with more than 11ish GB of RAM.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This here is the definition of "rewarding bad behavior"

8. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I do content creation stuff for BeamNG.Drive on my PC here.
    It's a Ryzen based PC which I love quite much over my old 4790k that lasted 5 years before being replaced last summer with a 3700x.
    My RX 480 8gb card was a total turd. The drivers were so bad it was never truly stable in Windows 10 without down-clocking the core 100mhz.
    The Windows drivers for the POLARIS series 'auto OC's' the core for some reason, resulting in all kinds of bugs INCLUDING one just like the NAVI black screen bug, but not nearly limited to that. I thought it was just my card, but other cards showed the issue, too. It's mostly limited to (but might not 100% be) Windows 10 OS. Windows 7 didn't really seem to have much issue in the driver department - though I did have some driver-caused BSOD issues with my old Pitcairn 7850 card until I found a stable one back in Jan/Feb 2016.
    The Polaris card was so bad it finally scrambled the desktop. I'd have thought 'bad card' but I know a few people with Polaris based cards and they all had issues except one guy with one that clocked REALLY high.
    How did I figure this out? I kept having crashes with it, since installing Windows 10. The system could be stable all night or it could go black screen / have an application crash on me randomly, sometimes it would be like when you first turned on the PC (revving GPU fans, no display). Sometimes the driver would recover, sometimes it would not. So finally I put afterburner on here and HWINFO 64 and nailed it down to the GPU core was ending up at 1300mhz + and not staying at the '1288mhz' it was 'factory OC'ed' to (it wasn't stable above 1288mhz). Friend's card(s) were doing the same thing... some going up as high as 1320mhz.
    Finally after I couldn't even reliably boot 100% of the time with it, I had enough, I took it out, threw it on the other desk, put the old 7850 2gb card back in and didn't have half as many issues. Purchased an EVGA 2070 Super Black (no rainbows, I mean RGB), and never looked back. Has been great since.
    I will NEVER buy another AMD video card for my production machine. NEVER NEVER NEVER, NO WAY. The drivers are complete RUBBISH. I lost countless hours of work due to application crashes.
    The Ryzen on the other hand, has been tops.

pharma and alanm like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This could be an important clue as to what may potentially be going on with Navi. To compete with Nvidia, AMD may be pushing their cards clocks or boosts higher than would be the norm. Many cards will work fine with this, and of course reviewers cards would have been thoroughly vetted before AMD giving them to reviewers, so no issues reported. But a higher than usual percentage of cards may have issues and this could be what we're seeing. I say this because AMD sometimes seems reckless in competing vs Nvidia at all costs, an example of that being the last minute bios upgrades for the 5600xt without more thorough testing (ie, the12gps-14gps vram). So could the Navi cards have been slightly over-spec'd in some way causing these issues?

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Considering their power draw I’d venture to say there may be something to this. We know under volting and dropping the core clock just a bit barely hurts performance most of not all of the time so I’d agree AMD is just cranking the cores well past the point of diminishing returns and leaving the cores more susceptible to random voltage irregularities causing very bad side effects.

jbscotchman likes this.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    How exactly is that "rewarding bad behavior" exactly? Per his post, he hasn't had any issues. Personal experience is generally considered by most people before making a purchase. If his personal experience has been acceptable, there's no reason for his buying habits to change. I'm in the same position he's in. I've had no inherently negative experiences with AMD hardware or drivers. I'm just as likely to buy another AMD graphics card, based on my own personal experience, as I am to buy another NVidia card. Why should he or anyone else base a purchase decision on claims of others?

No.... It doesn't. I ran a Polaris based card for over 2 years. Not a single time did the drivers "auto OC" my card.

If that were the case, the problems would be more wide spread. I buy nothing but reference clocked cards with AMD GPUs and have relatively few issues after the first few driver releases. Conveniently, I have the same number of issues with NVidia cards, reference or OC'd, as with AMD reference cards. What's more likely is that most of the people having issues are buying 3rd party cards running above the reference clocks. Might also explain why AMD is having such a hard time fixing the claimed issues. I'd love to see a study showing the allocation of cards to issues.....

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AMD routinely clocks their reference cards to the ragged edge of stability. To the point there really is no real OC headroom even in reference form. This will cause some random instability. Why else is Nvidia with a larger node and die size beating AMD in performance per watt? I have a feeling the if Big Navi comes out and is clocked at the low end of the efficiency range for Navi (I suspect this to be more around 1450Mhz max clock) then I’d be interested to see if and of these black screen bugs still persist.

13. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    7800XT
    Found the problem in the end, seemed to be the fan settings had been switched to zero rpm (not by me i might add) and the card was throttling set them back to spin up and card has been fault free the last two days.

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hmm, this black-screen problem seems to keep being a bug for AMD, even back in the days of Ati if my memory serves me correctly. Definitely not a new issue for them, even if the potential trigger for the bug is new.

Dunno what to say. We can't lose Radeon gpus or else competition is going to go to crap. However, I do wonder if this bug could potentially creep into the next-gen consoles...that would be ouch.

15. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Interesting I thought my Vega was starting to be unable to keep high OCs but it might be having these black screen issues.
    It also seems to have been problem after updating to 2020 drivers.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Try 19.12.3.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    if they're having issues with the Radeon 2020 drivers, 19.12.1 might be a better option since they're 2019 drivers.

DeskStar likes this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I've been on 19.12.3 for over a week now and have not had the black screen issue again with this particular build.. with that said 19.12.1 is another option.

19. tailspin

tailspin Member

GPU:
    ARES II 6GB
    I have the blackscrreen issue with my Nvidia 2080ti FTW3 Ultra water-cooled. I have to under-clock by 200MHz and drop power setting to 60% in X1.....I think my fix is to replace with a new power supply as my 800w Silverstone is apparently not good enough/working properly. Gonna replace with 750w corsair as its Mini ITX PC with only room for S-FX Poweersupply, there is no more powerful power supplies than these two..... doh! I hope this fixes it.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Equivalence: "I'm going to buy that wife beater a beer because he never beat me"

If your only criteria for spending money on a business is "it never happened to me" then you're part of the larger problem in the capitalist system.

you should have atleast 2 seperate 8pin cables from the psu to gpu for a 2080ti, if not just for stability but also because people have noticed better sustained boost clocks.