Intel slide of future GPU shows it could use 400 to 500 watts with 4 'stacked' chiplets

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    48v input! What are they using as transistors? Light switches?

2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

...without characterizing you and dealing with your point, you're quite wrong.
    the market exists, has existed, and will continue to exist regardless of your opinion. this market generates the media you consume from games to internet to streaming to videos.
    grow up

3. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Bring on the hungry GPU's, my 65W R5 3600 uses nothing, and my RX 5700 XT just uses another ~240W. My total system power is probably around ~330W maxed out; yet I have an 850W PSU sitting in my case sleeping half the time.

4. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    More nonsense. Since this market exists and has existed, name one product in the category. Just one.

That's a rhetorical question because THERE ARE NONE! 400 to 500W TDP for a GPU that is targeted for datacenters is a non-starter unless it has massive throughput, and with stacked chiplets, that is not likely because the heat dissipation will be prohibitive.

I will be going to GTC again this year and I will be sure to look for Intel's booth there and also for all of the competing products in this market. :rolleyes:

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    A little comprehension goes a long way..... The chart in the article has nothing to do with products being released. The chart refers specifically to development and validation. Not consumer or data center products. There is not a single mention of a consumer or data center product in that chart.

tunejunky and anticupidon like this.
  6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
    During the winter sure that'll be fine its just inefficient electric heat. But during the summer I have higher electricity rates. 400W alone isn't a lot but my experience and understanding pf the coefficient of performance, is it take exponentially more electricity to have your AC remove 400W of heat.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Guys, as above said, let's try keep it more relaxed and academic.
    We are talking about hardware, and tests, benchmarks and time will reveal what is true and what's not.
    Patience and comprehension never hurt anyone.
    Thanks in advance.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    programming (VM's), video production, film making, music production, and many more industries have discovered the HEDT market for low cost (relative) computing.
    this is the market that once used X99 that is now using threadripper that Intel is targeting.
    this market generates billions of dollars from the consumer, and is well worth the attention of the CPU manufacturers for the tens of millions it earns them.

to suggest otherwise (that this market doesn't exist) means you require further education.
    time equals money, and threadripper (and potential Intel competition) earns money.

9. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    You can get 48v by wiring multiple 12v rails in series.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    So, we're looking at 2 layers in the stack usable atm.

11. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Yes, comprehension certainly does go a long way. From the article : "The interesting part is that some TDPs are noted down as well, running to 400 and 500 watts indicative of a datacenter product."

Maybe you should direct your snark at HH.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    How long has Intel been talking about releasing a gpu? I'll believe it when I see it.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they already did.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm talking about something that is available to purchase meant to compete with Nvidia and Amd desktop graphics cards.

16. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Those numbers make a BIG difference and I had not seen them before. 16K cores at 400 or 500W with 36 TFLOPS is actually pretty good. In comparison, Nvidia's V100 has 5K cores at 250W and puts out 14 TFLOPS.

One big difference : the V100 has been out for a while and a new generation is expected soon while the Xe HP 4-tile GPU is expected next year. It will be interesting to see how they make stacked chips dissipate that much power.