AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's still problems with it last I heard so I keep it off but I also don't have much of a issue with tearing where I notice display sync issues much at all so the general preference until I can get some monitor with support for adaptive sync is to just keep it off and use a framerate limit to avoid the main menu going at quadruple digits and the noise and heat and coil whine that results in. :D

I have dabbled a bit with Windows 10's flip model enhancements and SpecialK (For D3D11) with regards to flip model and flip model with discard but compatibility when forced in this way is a bit hit & miss though when it does work it's nice to see former problematic titles playing nice. (Near smooth 16.6ms at 60Hz/60 FPS instead of 100+ ms up and down due to constant fluctuations at times.)

EDIT: But now I need to check the January driver release notes again because it could be that it got fixed and I just glanced over it.

Should be a similar flip model change to what Windows 10 tries though same as that not entirely perfect because it's not supported well in some games or game engines from what I know of how this works although I've never had full on driver stability problems from this sort of thing either although from the Navi GPU reports I've read that's not entirely the case here for how it goes.
    (Should just be a application crash if it's not compatible and that's it.)

EDIT: Hmm wonder how the WDDM 2.7 GPU scheduler improvements will work out but that's too early to talk about until AMD has a 20H1 / 2004 / Windows 10 19041.x compatible driver available for the public I guess and what that will initially support. :)

Just thinking of latency and input lag and all that fun stuff since back with double buffering, v-sync and these new fancy flip model and buffer techniques and all that. (We'll see when it's out.)

Well I do like JRPG's and those do seem to hit all manner of fun little problems and older coding practices though it's not like those issues are exclusive to those types of games but some studios - Koei Tecmo, cough. - yeah some of them are a bit notable for their PC ports.
    (Playable but internally it can be all kinds of weird issues and problems that really shouldn't ever happen especially when it affects the console builds too.)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Same as KissSh0t --- never enabled it, 2020 were terribly unstable for my Vega64 Liquid Edition (black screens all over the place idling/ playing YT even with HW acccel off).
    19.12.1 are miles better in that region.

3. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Agree, i have almost always been using ati/amd gpus and i was able to confirm other people issues literally 2, maybe 3 times. My secret to correct operation of all things is to perform clean windows install after swapping to new gpu and keep all drivers up to date to latest version, including chipset, soundcard, networking card and other devices. Also latest firmware/bios for all of them.
    I perform clean windows install twice a year, every time new rtm windows 10 build gets released. I'm avoiding upgrade because usually upgrades are causing many problems sooner or later, same way i go with my ubuntu, not just windows as the same applies to both of these OSes. About using ddu... i had to use it literally 3 times in last 5 years, i do not recommend using it as replacement of uninstaller provided with a driver and from posts i see on guru3d seems like many of you are using DDU that way, do not do it this way, stop it, literally. Wagnard will tell you exactly the same thing. This tool is not made to replace uninstaller, it is made to be a service tool which you should use as last step before windows reinstall in solving problems with gpu driver.

Good example for all these 5700/xt issues is hardware unboxed yt channel, they claim they do not have such severe issues or any actual real issues with their 5700/xt cards and are wondering what their viewers are talking about.

Another thing is what people call as severe issues. Some people claim that some few pixels shimmering over fire or in fog in the witcher 3 are gamebreaking bug and to them this is a valid reason to replace properly operating gpu with competition's gpu. Someone else will call amd incompetent after facing some bug once and being unable to reproduce this bug anymore but this one occurrence to such person is enough to call amd crap and go buy nvidia gpu. Severe bug is something what you can reproduce and it makes your pc unstable or unusable, not what occurred once and you solved it with pressing reboot button on your pc case. But... there are these bad cases which can be hard to trace: software conflicts. Even these you can't call problem with a driver. Recently i had a problem like this, even posted it here on guru3d in one of previous driver threads: ac unity had fps dropped by 70% when booting on next day. It took me a week or so to trace cause of the issue. That was some crazy conflict between gpu driver, the game and.... gigabyte aorus engine tool. Once i uninstalled that tool unity was working properly any time i launched it, any day i launched it and so on.

One more thing is OC. Many people keep their hardware overclocked, especially popular oc now is ram oc as widespread knowledge is ryzen cpus do better with ram tweaked as much as possible. I keep my ram OCed too, from 3200MHz to 3600MHz and it is stable. Same probably is in other users case, 99,(9)% time this oc is stable but sometimes it can be misbehaving and causing issues which users point out as driver issue while in reality these can be caused by oc.

Concluding: perform clean windows install, update firmware/bios to latest versions for all applicable components, update all possible drivers to latest available versions, bring your hardware back to stock settings (remove oc), remove all useless software and control panels. If after all this your problems still occur then contact amd supportto provide all info about bug and/or gpu manufacturer to rma your card or to make them provide you custom bios fixing such problem.

And all that assuming you have properly working all other components in the first place...

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  4. Crisidelm

Crisidelm Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 DD Ultra
    Another little bug I've had since I was using Rx460: every now and then, while scrolling a web page for instance, an image gets a strong green hue all over it, and to make it go away I have to reload the page (see image below)
    [​IMG]
    It's a rather minor annoyance, but it's something that I've always seen since I began to use AMD cards and drivers, but never seen reported. Am I the only one getting this?

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I think that's part of the display driver issue with hardware acceleration, sometimes you just get a corrupt image and not a full browser crash, browser black screen (Just closing the affected tab tends to be enough for that.) or similar but it can be "merely" a corrupt image, still a problem though so hopefully AMD fixes these. :)

Saw it for one of the Adobe photo programs with similar results and there's also the same type of behavior for hardware accelerated media playback such as Media Player Classic with certain filters or codecs in place.
    EDIT: Meaning it's not just HTML5 video playback problems though there's that as well and it might also differ in severity between Opera, Chrome/Chromium and Firefox possibly Edge too.
    (Though the Chromium Edge build I think is quite close to release status at this point just that one has to opt into it for now.)

6. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Seems like driver team members have a knives on their necks. There are beta driver builds almost daily in Vanguard channel

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's good, almost what I had expected or hoped AMD would do after the initial reports on these issues would be to open up for the hotfix type drivers again and do weekly builds, gather reports and start working out the issues but using the Vanguard program will hopefully see these fixes roll into the general drivers over time although with some delay and scheduling as finalization and testing takes a time so the latest builds and fixes might be pushed into a later release driver. :)
    (Nothing new or anything but just how things work unless something critical comes up and is either prioritized or the driver release gets delayed to implement this first.)

Getting results at least whatever is being worked on plus anything fixed but not listed in the release notes which also happens.

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I suspect what's going to happen is that this will be fixed come the 20H1 release with the new fork for WDDM 2.7

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I do have it enabled. I used to have issues with my side monitors not turning on or going black when rig would come on or go to sleep and wake up. My center monitor never went black or had.an issue. That's been with Fury X,RX 480s, and now Vega 56.
    Both my room mates have RX 480s, 0 issues for them. All enhanced sync on. None of us or people I know outside the internet have Navi yet.

Onnas fix fixed that for me.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    As for FreeSync i have no issues at all.
    After Clean Install + Keep my Settings (Relive) i'm always doing:
    Turn OFF FreeSync (in Monitor OSD) then Turn it On -> it's for compability resons with ReliVe.

11. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    20.2.2 soonTM

12. Vlooi

Vlooi Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon vii
    I have two pc's with Radeon vii's, one a 9900k (z390), the other 3600x (x570). I keep my bios' updated, and all drivers for chipsets and other hardware on both machines also updated. Never had any issues with my Radeons, which I undervolt and overclock on both machines using Wattman. Running Win10 build 19041. And I make sure to install my monitor drivers. I agree strongly with spectatorx. One thing I did notice is flickering using the display port cable that came with the monitors. I replaced them both with higher quality cables, no more flickering.

Embra and OnnA like this.
  13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I have had a few black screens on BF5

weird thing is 1 of those times it recovered

14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    edit ooops

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    What cables did you get?

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  17. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    DP cable can matter but in my case it didn't (tested like 3 high quality ones, DP1.4 certified). Still had Black Screens on VEGA64. Locking at P1 or P2 for memory seems to help.

18. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
  19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Since getting my 5700XT the only problem I had was Chrome HW acceleration not working, it works now, since the latest update of Chrome. And I really liked using Afterburner but had to ditch it, to much problems, it caused flicker when fan curved was used, and flicker if monitor ran anything above 60Hz.

I use MorePowerTool for basic card setup and GPU-Z for monitoring.

I don't install AMD 'suite' of software, just install drivers through device manager manually, why AMD got rid of the option to let their install package do a plain driver install this is beyond me.

My 5700XT runs great. Have played BL3 and Jedi Knight straight thru, no problems and am playing Division 2 right now.

JonasBeckman, Halfmead and OnnA like this.
  20. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    New AMD GPU user here (and man, this is a nightmare) I am completely with you in not understanding why we are forced to install a whole suite (most of which i'll bet only like 1% of customers actually use, guessing streamers use dedicated stream software).
    I want the driver and Freesync.. then i am good since i've been using MSIA/RTSS/CPUz for years now for fan/OC control without a hitch on nvidia GPU's (hitches usually my own doing ;D )

How does one go about doing a device manager install ? and avoid Windows installing that equally annoying Basic display driver lol.

pharma likes this.