AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im using amd gpus for last ten years but looks like im going green or blue this year. Ampere cant come soon enough. Hopefuly rtx3060 wont cost a fortune.

Way to go Lisa pouring all money to cpus while gpu group going to shits.

2. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I've been away from all this for months due to personal reasons. I get back, I install the latest drivers, learn my way around the revamped UI, yet I keep having issues here and there. Now even guys who would champion AMD in the past like Hardware Unboxed and Adored TV agree this is no longer acceptable. Good thing they're being vocal, as it seems us sending bug reports, reporting through their official forums, or other communities such as Reddit or here is not enough. Not anymore.

Undying, my next GPU will also be from NVIDIA. And I can't even remember what my last green card was. Good job, AMD! :(

3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Upgrade my GPU? I will upgrade to 5500 XT soonTM.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Even after everyrhing you heard about driver issues?

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    20.2.1 No issues, lots of my friends also dont have issues with 5700 XT.

Not everybody have problems. Lots of BS on the internet, dont believe everyone.

Krteq and Undying like this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a solid card as such and as long as you have no problems or the store has a good refund policy it's not that bad though if some issue does occur I wouldn't spend too much time trying to resolve it rather than refund within the time period open for this. :)

I do also know now that some earlier displays including Dell seems to have had problems with the connectivity like Display Port supposedly resolved in 2017 whereas this monitor is from 2016 which might be part of why the cable change helped when I was testing that if Navi is somehow more sensitive to hardware in some way.

The random driver crashes and full on black screen issues though I don't really have a good answer for, wrapping through Vulkan solves it for what I've experienced on the latest January and the current February driver but other than something anything in the D3D11 driver stack and code being not entirely stable well no clue so far but the remainder of the stability problems seem to be a non-issue now. (That idle black screen issue was a real hassle glad that's gone.)

Clock fluctuations would be a thing too but it seems to also depend on the game used (Mainly D3D9 but also some D3D11 titles for the issue with dropping beyond lower clocks almost into idle.) and of course sensitivity to drops and stuttering and how big of a drop it is and the resulting fluctuation in framerate. :)
    So many things can result in the GPU becoming limited in how well it can work though so part of this is on the games themselves and limitations for scaling or how to say. (Old game new hardware though not entirely from just that.)

PrEzi and LocoDiceGR like this.
  7. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    You are going to have twice the driver issues! You are done for mate! :p

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    your driver restarted or crashed and recovered just hover over 1 and it'll go away

AlleyViper likes this.
  9. 1pvpslayer

1pvpslayer Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    I probably find another cause of black screens.
    Did you guys using temperature monitoring software in background?
    I used all time aida64 to monitoring temps and getting random black screens.
    When i disabled it - no black screens during one week. Started that program and boom black screen after few hours. Now i not running it and have 4 days uptime in task manager, it is stable

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Quite possible. Asantyx mentioned in another thread that using cpuid method for sensor access can cause issues with hardware.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I upgraded, and I have no issues with 20.2.1 + 5700 XT.

EDIT: Well, I have to take that back, as I had my first blank screen. Tho I did learn a few things because of it. It occured starting up Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Alt-Tab to desktop. BOOM. With subsequent testing, I discerned that when I use FreeSync, FS is still enabled on the desktop with the game minimized, causing strobing on the screen. Disabling FS or closing the game cleared the effect. So I am going to take a stab, and suggest this is somewhat tied to DWM.

Disabling FSO has no affect, same issue.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    pharma and LocoDiceGR like this.
  12. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    That's not the reason for me ---- I keep my background tasks as clean as possible and installing & using the monitoring stuff only if --->
    ---it doesn't install a driver/service running in the background anyway
    ---run it ad-hoc (e.g. AIDA HWInfo or GPU-Z if I need to, then close them).

So it might be the problem for some, but not for everyone. For me it could be that, what JonasBeckman / Digilator / AdoredTV mentioned --- the HBM P0-P1 etc. fluctuations / power managment issues causing my VEGA to become unstable with the new 2020 driver branch.
    With the Adrenaline 2019 it has fortunately happened only once or twice in the whole "2019 Adrenaline drivers career" so I can live with that.
    Currently also sticking to 19.12.1 as I really need a break from the black screens...

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    One of us! one of us!!

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Drivers working good here, even with the old 15.5 beta installed to have the legacy catalyst installed for my eyefintiy switching setup with hot keys and game profile triggers.

OnnA and LocoDiceGR like this.
  15. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    The problems is not only the black screens. Downclocking and stuttering is also as bad.

16. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Nah, that wasn't it. The problem persisted even after a reboot. Using a combination of turning off tray icon in Radeon settings and hiding the other one by right-clicking it did the job. I was getting static when starting some games (literal tv static) or when changing resolution in game, even though gpu scaling was on, turning vsr to on seems to have solved it. Why vsr needed to be on is just weird.

17. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
  18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Guys, how many of you with issues (no matter what exact type of issue) have enabled Enhanced Sync?

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Never enabled it, to be honest not even sure what it does.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I havent got a single blackscreen, before 2020 drivers and after. I must be one of the lucky ones or Polaris just isnt effected. Everything is off but freesync and it works fine. All i have is some custom fan issues in wattman but nothing major still annoying.