Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Caenyss, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it has nothing to do with platform, those affected are on intel core, ryzen, phenom, etc.

It's either a hardware fault (GPU eratta) or AMD are using unsafe IO and colliding with Microsoft and its unsafe IO access.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'd like to think it's hardware but that makes it a bit weird with the 5500's and 5600's and numerous 5700's plus even people picking them up now getting errors with this black screen issue unless there's some ridiculous whoops on AMD's side and a stupid large amount of not entirely healthy GPU hardware out which would be incredibly concerning for how many cards would possibly be faulty sure the 5700's are older stock too but the 5600's are new and people are reporting issues with these too which if it's hardware that's kinda really bad.

EDIT: So yeah hoping it's a obscure software / driver problem and it's just a mess finding exactly what but a hardware problem would more readily explain why the cards can work differently on two near identical systems and everything else people have tried to resolve this issue with limited success.

EDIT: Though regressions on stability for Polaris and Vega and possibly earlier models do speak towards a software issue unless it's a bit of both for Navi of course which would be terrible.

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I've heard whispers that you can induce blackscreen at startup by doing the following:
    turn your pc off (none of that fast start stuff)
    with you monitor turned off start your PC
    count to 1-2 seconds and turn your monitor on
    If you did it right you can start up into windows with a black screen.

But those are just whispers in the wind...

4. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    If it was hardware, would experience it with each driver. Installing a working driver on top of a non working driver without uninstalling and restarting fixes the issue.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Though software can also work around hardware problems much as happened with the 290X, FuryX and Vega64 GPU models or change functionality even as happened with the Fury and modifying one of the caches for improving tessellation performance.
    (Not as good as Polaris and newer but not as bad as before that and dropping to 4 - 8x manually via Catalyst Settings override for a nice performance boost.)

290X possibly was down to Elpida memory modules, FuryX I'm not 100% on what caused the random GPU timeouts and for Vega64 it was the P0 idle settings for the high bandwidth memory.

For Navi the 19.8.1 drivers already resolved one issue with hot overclocking the memory while in a demanding GPU situation such as gaming causing a (possible.) GPU shutdown and reboot of the system although I have zero clues on what else has been changed though a few Linux commits also go into more extensive changes related to the Navi and Gen11 or GFX11 or what's it called models of hardware over the prior ones although my understanding and knowledge on this is very limited even with the more open info and code submissions. :)

Micro code and driver software patches are flexible enough and I suppose it's not bios related short of some GPU models having very weird setups for drawing a ton of power for marginal gains although these also comes with the needed 2x 8-pin connectors to handle this though you do need a solid PSU here to avoid ripples and transient power spikes or how it's called where it goes upwards of 300+ watts total instead of keeping around the stock 180 reference to 220 watts or thereabouts.
    Still less than Vega did though so the PSU can generally be ruled out if the user had a Vega and that was stable because sudden spikes over 500w and down and up and that overcurrent protection got a little bit of a testing there.
    (Or at least I'd say the PSU is less of a concern if it can handle that.)

EDIT: 19.8.1 and 19.8.2 fixes stuff though but overall the 19.8 drivers are considered unstable and probably started the whole 19.7.5 being stable thing until I think 19.9.3 reclaimed stability overall again so fix something break something else.

But again it's entirely random and all kinds of suggestions and systems and workarounds and working for some users or some users not having problems at all and others had to revert back to earlier drivers up until 19.11 or the 19.12.1 drivers which other than OpenGL issues are considered good. :)
    (Kinda a thing for applications though even if gaming at least on Windows is mostly about D3D.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    indeed, one user has identified the stream black screen only exists on first boot - this indicates hiberboot is involved, so disabling fast startup should stop it.

7. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    I am beginning to regret my decision to buy the 5600XT, not because of card performance, but this black screen crap is getting to me... a 2060 super (and working drivers) are looking better and better now sadly...
    Are there any 'clean' drivers... without all the fancy stuff, i use Afterburner/RTSS anyways and most stuff in adrenalin is like geforce experience which i very rarely used also

8. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    You have tried and failed to install through Device Manager, correct?

No black screen issues here during use(system freeze in couple of games). Only black screen is when waking system.

9. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    I did clean install using DDU and then shutting pc down and changing cards (Nvidia > AMD) then restart and downloaded Adrenalin/install....
    a sidenote, Disabled windows fast start, and have had a 4 hour session without black screen... would be weird if that was the culprit, but can hope (i have most everything turned off in Adrenalin except freesync and color/Saturation)

10. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Question guys, is the new AMD control panel only for non Workstation GPUS"? I just bought a Radeon Pro WX 4100 and the drivers install just fine, with no errors, but its using the older enterprise control panel.

11. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Different category, it will take some time for the PRO cards to get the driver update.

MyEinsamkeit likes this.
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Full AMD system here, and it's not even a new system either, it's frikking old.. AMD FX 8320, motherboard has AMD 970 chipset, AMD RX 470 video card, I've gone back to 19.12.3 and not had any more black screens since.

I'm kinda of scared to try newer drivers now.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    A friend of mine also gets these blank screens, but doesn't completely lock up. he has a mouse pointer, and nothing else. He killed DWM and explorer, and managed to recover by restarting them.

I'm on a totally new install, and the only driver that has touched my system is 20.2.1, and I've had no issues. No blanking on video starts, games work as expected, except for DA:I and Mantle. (I really wanted to test that.) :(

System is configured to use Power Boost for CPU (R5 3600), + 200 for 4.4 Max, Auto voltage. GPU is using auto-underclock. (Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT) Single display via Displayport. Asus AI Suite 3 installed, and managing temps/fans. EVGA AIO 240mm pump on CPU, controlled by mobo. (Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi)

If anyone has suggestions to test for blanking, I'd appreciate it.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats not the blank screen being noted in the list of issues.