Review: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X - 64 processor cores and 128 threads in one CPU package

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2020.

1. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Good review. It was no surprise that some of the apps used in the overall tests where not capable of using all the cores of the monster chip. Looks like someone is going to be busy to build in the necessary redundancy and then some for AMD's next monster release.

2. Ambient

Ambient Member

GPU:
    This is a MONSTER!!! intel R.I.P with your prices...

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very good review Boss. I watched Linus' video on this and I agree the limitation that AMD did was indeed stupid. The Reason why AMD did was because of the Epyc version of this CPU. Yeah Handbreak needs to pull an Adobe and update their software to handle more cores and threads. Or someone needs to compile a version of Handbreak for the 3990x. Also AMD is pulling an Nvidia in such a way because there are no CPUs from Intel currently that currently come close to this unless it is one of the data center CPUs and you have 2 of them just like there is no AMD cards within the 2080 Ti's price range or performance.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    What a beast - and it's good for gaming too.

Undying likes this.

5. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    No tests = no number =no science = no true.. just urban legends, guesses. Smashed is very relative term.. I mean are they 1.5,2x, 3x faster for some money and if yes in which workload? I guess that i can find some Xeon comparision at Phoronix and its 1 men show site, so nothing bigger than Guru3D.. and these tests would Linux only and no Games at all, so its idea.
    Write review of something without comparion of other products in same category is half ass job.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I used to play games on 64C/128T CPUs as kid, but then I got older.

Or was it C64c and C12... ?

Well, I not only got older, but wiser too. Therefore I have no need to play games on Workstation. And anyone who has cash for 64C/128T system can build adequate gaming system too.
    (Would be stupid to use workstation for daily browsing/gaming/...)

7. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Fantastic review Hilbert, cheers!
    Yep, this is one damn nice CPU, designed in (a large) part to send a number of important messages to a number of important folks. To force Intel to literally cut prices in half - with more cuts to follow - is truly astonishing. I have no sympathy for any competitor manufacturer that deliberately chooses not to innovate and instead, bleed buyers wallets for as much as they can get, and all because of ineffective competition. Next target: Nvidia, please.

carnivore likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why? One can use their workstation for everything even gaming on the occasion without needed a dedicated gaming pc. :)

9. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It may be unthinkable for the US/western ultra liberalists but what CPU consumers really need is a government intervention to force intel/AMD to licence x86 and x64 to anyone who wants it, for a standard price. Exactly like what they do with some Qualcom mobile tech. x86/x64 are de facto standards so why not just make them official industry standards and apply that licencing rule?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Because it seems that lately, u are not a gamer if u don't play the latest CoD on a 140+Hz screen (at 720p ofc)

Undying likes this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

ummm, hey man there are no other products in this category.
    and as HH pointed out, you'd need 2 Xeons to do worse, at their best.

this is a new paradigm

anticupidon likes this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

what????
    Qualcomm is not forced by government or anyone else to license, it is their business model.
    It is up to each company to decide to license or not. x86/x64 costs billions to develop.
    AND, btw... AMD DID license...only to be burned by the Chinese gov't. intent.

12. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Remember most reviewers use hardware that is handled to them for free by the companies. A dual xenon system would cost like.. 15k? No reviewer can spend that.... I bet Hilbert here would gladly test a xenon system if intel would send him one... heck intel is not even sampling him regular gaming cpus anymore.

anticupidon likes this.
  13. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_patent
    I don't remember exactly what Qualcomm patent got selected as a mobile standard but that link explains the idea.

x86/x64 are not the CPU "architectures", the type, position and cabling between the transistors, that's what's worth billions in R&D. x86 and x64 are "hardware APIs", just a set of instructions (that tell what each instruction do, NOT HOW).
    Currently, law forbids anyone to make a 100% original CPU that understands the same instructions...
    And I'm not telling them to hand it for free. Just put a fair, standard price for anyone who wants it.

And btw, they didn't get burned, the US ban led them to decide to not licence the updated architecture after the original contract ended.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Pray, where are your benchmarks results?
    If you say: I can't afford the hardware to do it!
    Know that is true even for Guru3D's staff, not everyone gives hardware parts on a plate.
    And simply, there is no competition from Intel in this category, only thing will be dual Xenons.
    But the cost is insane, so nobody will pay just for having a number.
    More, if you really want to contribute and see real results, you can help for real.
    There are ways.
    I am trying to respect your point of view, and try to see beyond words. Guru3D has a long history of offering unbiased reviews and hard data and facts.
    Your comment can be given
    an interpretation of not taking those in account.
    Cheers!

tunejunky and TieSKey like this.
  15. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    The perfect processor for getting some work done without being pestered by your kid/nephew/little brother asking if they can play games. Just set up an monitor keyboard and mouse with a vm, and work away on your own or que up a bunch of workloads and join them...... for 2 minutes.

16. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    If you have a problem and Intel can't help you...... Maybe you can hire the A......MD Team (insert M60 machine gun burst!)

Threadripper really has all the bases covered if you need, and can afford it. The current ultimate, no holds barred x86 PC :cool:

17. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Im really tired this post Ryzen AMD doing always right and not say anything against it community mood..
    So its my problem that Hilbert is testing games on this CPU?

Im not saying that this is typical home workstation cpu, big still much less expensive that other hobbies for middle class people in rich countries which are already buying Threadrippers.. and it would be quickly cheaper after some time, when will nobody test it again (so im glad that somebody do it at launch, because is probably only chance).
    Yes i can imagin, that people will game on these too, same as on expensive Macs, maybe because they are tired to use multiple machines, maybe because they are game developers / video creators, or just stay late in work for some gun etc.

I really think, that Hilbert would be able to get Xeons for testing same Phoronix.. except games testing, it can be maybe done even remotely.

18. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    What other products are there in the same category?

That is a serious question. AFAIC, every competing product was included in this review.

Embra, tunejunky, HandR and 1 other person like this.
  19. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I'll just be happy that soon will come a time, when some more of this EPYC / TR goodness trickles down to the mainstream platform(s).
    This way, with many more cores, I can run much more traffic in BeamNG Drive (driving / car wreck simulator with soft body physics), and it's really a hoot even on my 3700x.
    What's sad is now that there's 8x the CPU I have in here available for HEDT, now I don't feel like I have as good or future-proof of a PC. That's the price of progress I guess, and it is a small one. I believe I can live with that if it means I'll finally have something new to buy into - unlike what intel gave us for the greater part of half a dozen years or a decade.
    So, now that AMD came into intel's kitchen and peed upon their grease fire of a CPU market, time to sit back and watch the fireworks, heh.

20. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    You can read Anandtech for that comparison, I guess that is where you got this request from?

For the audience of this site Pro is more valid than Enterrprise, so no need to more testing. Especially when already tested elsewhere.

tunejunky and warlord like this.