The Stutter is REAL: Driver, Game or MSI A/B Problem? (Now Corrected/Fix)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You should never see classpnp spike under any case.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats because XFI's are not PCIE compliant, they are PCI cards with an integrated bridge chip.

MerolaC likes this.
  3. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Makes sense.
    Thanks.

I suspect that the high ClassPNP spikes are maybe related to Intel RST drivers.
    Since you have an z170/270 motherboard, I learned the hard way that the native Windows drivers is the fastest. I would suggest you to ditch using RST drivers and go back to
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller.
    This is, ASSUMING, you are using the Intel RST drivers.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I have no problems with the RST drivers on systems, but yes particular versions can have problems and have done so in the past, a particular RSt 13 driver spiked interrupts high when an OD was present in the system and also crashed the machine when ejecting/inserting the OD.

but these are typically few and far between.

5. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I never had luck with them.
    Nor in my current board with Z170 chipset or in my previous 2 ones with Z77.
    They either slow I/O down or had a problem where disk would just go to sleep even with power setting to 0.

Old 2015 thread I made in Win-Raid forum about the issue.
    https://www.win-raid.com/t1036f23-I...dows-makes-one-of-my-drives-click-SOLVED.html

Another one from 2017
    https://www.win-raid.com/t3339f23-Worse-Read-Write-with-RST-drivers-installed.html#msg45546

After this last post, I just say, frack it and since then, I use the MS driver.

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Well running LatencyMon at desktop I don't see classpnp.sys. It's only when I run LatencyMon and Modern Warfare I see it.
    I've already changed the cables (ones that came with the motherboard). I don't have RST installed and I already disabled MEI via device manager. Hmm looks like Samsung NVMe drivers have updated since I last checked, 3.2 now vs 2.1. I will look into that.
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

7. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Hopefully the driver solves it!

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Danger Willl Robinson, Danger!!!!

Ok I also updated RST for testing. I choose 17.5.2.1024 (I can't use the latest, not compatible). Install goes as planned. Now I have this icon in the lower right of the screen Intel Rapid Storage Technologies. I open it and go to Performance tab. Link Power Management. "Link Power Management helps the SATA device save power during idle time when there is no i/o activity or when devices are absent or unused." I figure "I don't need that" and set it to disable and reboot.

All seem fine after my second reboot (I just installed Samsung NVMe drivers in a prior reboot) until I had no GPU Fan Speed Control!! It was wonky on Radeon and simply read 0 RPM in MSI A/B and it would not work at all. Once I reboot again it seem to work now but I think I'm going to disable it again as that was the default. So far the fan is working and reports correctly using MSI AB.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Weird behavior.
    But, I do not recommend RST at all.

Keep us updated!

10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ok after 1 full day of using RST I have now uninstalled it. For me it didn't add nor subtract anything. I did notice with it installed I was getting menu flickering in Modern Warfare. Something I've read some people had in the past. It's only happens when moving the mouse. But it only at the start of loading a map.

Using RST adds 4 more background processes to task manager and since I want BPs to be as low as possible I eventually decided to uninstall it. This version of RST installs 2 separate apps. One is RST the other is for Optane (apparently my MB supports it). So I had to uninstall both.

But wait there's more. If you act now you will notice that in Device Manager the actual device for RST is still in IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller (which is the only device updated btw). And the Service for RST was still running at startup even after I uninstall it
    :eek::oops:. I had to brute for uninstall it from device manager. Inwhich (as I have win10 updated disabled) go through a boot loop in order to win10 to kick in emergency procedures and check win10 integrity (Seems that you are having problems starting windows..). In which it was finally auto fixed. Now I'm back to where I was before installing RST.

So if anyone wants to use RST and don't mind the added background process then it should be fine. Make sure you have win10 updates and drivers update enabled. But if you are like me and don't want that and get the exact same performance just use Win10's version.

Cliff Notes:
    Latest RST works just fine. But so does the drivers provided by win10.
    It adds unnecessary background processes which bloats up your win10 task manager.
    Latest update for RST is a complete mess if you want to uninstall it.
    It may have some sort of negative side effect on gpu fan control from both Radeon and MSI A/B.

MerolaC likes this.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Did you have a look at the S.M.A.R.T. values of your HDD? At least to see if there are sign of HDD issues since ~1000-2000us is not a big proof for an HDD fail (although not ideal)... I do not see how RST can interfere with the GPU fan control anyway.. But it's looks like here is allowed finger against third party software fooling around with GPU drivers. Poor HAL you are always abused and your meant is always so misunderstood.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Yes I did. It all checked out fine.
    As for loosing fan speed control. I installed Samsung NVMe then did a reboot. Then I installed RST drivers, reboot. I cannot say which or if the combo of the 2 did it. But I certainly lost fan speed control (something that I haven't experienced with 20.2.1 drivers).

I'll admit that I looked at the RST as it was the last driver I installed when I noticed the issue.

Edit:
    Can anyone play a match of your favorite online game (BF, COD, Apex, etc) with LatencyMon in the background and post a pic of the Main tab of LatencyMon after 10 miniutes?

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I can do that.

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

16. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
  17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I'm so happy now, it's fixed!! :)

Looking good. Is your network adapter set to msi mode?

MerolaC likes this.
  18. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I am glad your machine smooth again!

Yes, it's in MSI mode. It's by default. I didn't change it.
    This is how my stuff stands. All default.

[​IMG]

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @MerolaC

I have Intel Management Engine Interface disabled via Device Manager though. I assume you have the latest driver for it installed because I never had it use msi mode before.

20. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    The driver version is: 1944.14.0.1370