The Stutter is REAL: Driver, Game or MSI A/B Problem? (Now Corrected/Fix)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ok, I've tried a few different drivers and for whatever reason I can't get a decent framerate using Modern Warfare.

https://i.ibb.co/G5y5czn/example1.jpg
    .https://i.ibb.co/qMwDn99/example2.jpg

I cannot figure out why the frametime is so horrible. It's a consistent pulsing throughout the match. Although the game appears to be smooth I noticed some unsmooth moments. But according to MSI A/B I'm seeing frame spikes in excess of 300 ms :eek::eek::eek:. Which is not what I'm seeing in match. If I'm not mistaken if it was 300 ms that would represent hitching. And that isn't something I'm seeing in game.
    However, I am getting similiar reports using Radeon Advisor. With this game it's reading in the orange range. Never green like in the beta.

Any help would be appreciated in solving this.

Edit (2//9/2020):
    The issue is now fixed here is what I did:

-Disabled windows defender

-Updated to KB4505903 for win10 1903 fix the ntoskrnl.exe latency issues (latencyMon + Playing Modern Warfare revealed this)

-Enable-MMAgent for memory compression

-Put HDAudBus.sys into MSI Mode as that was showing high ISR latency issues. (latencyMon + Playing Modern Warfare revealed this)

-Replaced Sata 3.0 cables (I noticed one was twisted).In an attempt to fix ClassPnP.sys latency. (latencyMon + Playing Modern Warfare revealed this)

-Stop relaying on MSI A/B's Hardware Monitor for the time being (showing 1000ms and higer spikes). Gameplay is smooth throughout and I don't experience the spikes that HWM is showing. It also doesn't correlate between the in game OSD Timeframe (using graph) and the HW Monitor itself. And it doesn't correlate with Radeon's Advisor results. Not sure why that is? But will use RTSS frametime for now. Which too shows almost a flat line in OSD and appears in line with Radeon Advisor.

-Removed MSI mode from Sound Blaster Xr

-Replaced Sata 3.0 Cables for ClassPnP.sys which did reduce DPC latency. However, it does increase when there is harddrive activity like loading a map, game, etc.

Edit (2/19/2020): Frametime spikes fixed

Frametime spikes in MS AB's Hardware Monitor are now fixed. It was do to: bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes.
    Modern Warfare was the worst offender while other games only showed mild spikes in frametimes in MSI AB's HW. However, in game there was no stutter.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    VSync to 120Hz? One GPU temperature hitting around 95°C.

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    1440p @ 144Hz
    Single 5700 xt reading hot spot and edge temps I believe.
    6 matches total. Best way to look at it is from memory usage graph.

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Don't use v-sync. Rely on DWM compositor (especially when the swap chain is WAITABLE_OBJECT) or on unleashed framerate in combo with adaptive v-sync OR (logical OR) adaptive sync/freesync/gsync..
    But do not use v-sync, especially if the frametime of that game is higly variable: if you are unable to get the target framerate, even just by 1 frame, the delay awaited before presenting the next frame is doubled and the target framerate get cutted by half and so on until ~15fps.

As for 300ms: there must be something more. 95°C is too much. Vsync may also interfere with other shitware (C) you are running in the background (like the shitburner of MSI), some of them may be included in your graphics driver bloatware.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I am not using vsync in Radeon or in Modern Warfare. There is something going on in the background and I haven't figured out what it is yet. What's a good software to use so I can check to see what's running in the background? Because using task manager doesn't reveal anything unusual.

Or is anti lag enabled even though I have a disabled in the drivers? There's something that's causing it to do that and it's pulsating.

Edit:
    I do notice that this game loves to go into window mode a lot. And anything can trigger it. Alt-Tabbing out or simply starting it up and I find myself in window mode. Changing it to full screen mode should actually put you in FS mode right? Not window mode which can cause what you described?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Have you tried LatencyMon?
    Maybe it sheds some light on this.

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Just sitting at desktop? Only 2 green bars showed up after about 2 minutes. They were about 2-3 blocks each.

Edit: I ran latencymon a second time.
    Hmm, Notice a big spike with ntoskrnl.exe. I will investigate more.

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    No, play the game with it open in the background.
    If something is wrong it gets logged, when you exit the game, you will know what's wrong, if anything.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  9. exmodel

exmodel Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 8GB
    Sounds like a possible cpu bottleneck. MW is known to tax the cpu pretty hardcore.

10. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Close all monitoring programs, open just RTSS, cap the framerate to 143.9, turn vsync off in game and turn enhanced sync on.

If that doesn't work remove (or at least close/disable) mice software, game launchers, browsers, everything. Try to leave only the bare minimum running, RTSS and that's it. If all that solves your problem or makes it better, then slowly open one program at a time so you can know exactly what is causing the stutters.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    My advice would be to stop playing cod lol

AMD can probably see the crap activision put out every year and cba fix the same old stuff over and over

12. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Take it as the first and final warning. One more such post and you'll get a reward.

warlord and Passus like this.
  13. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Oooh, what an excellent advice!!
    Stop enjoying something I don't enjoy so you don' have the issue you are having!

Nice one, dude.

This COD is the best one since COD 4.
    If you didn't played it, just shut up.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There is alot of videos on YT of missing textures, texture popin and performance stuttering issues so it cant be just an amd issue. You know how activision is this days.

warlord likes this.
  15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I understand where you are coming from.
    But, I have one issue with the game which is a weird halo effect around sights and only happens on VEGA cards, since an update in the game.
    But, that's it. The game is smooth otherwise.

But, that doesn't give him the right to be an ass.

Undying likes this.

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I only forgive those who own this game for RTX features. I cannot comprehend mental or environmental bugs/issues of someone's life who plays COD in 2020. Let it die like Activision/Blizzard.

No need for questions. You play in mud and sh1t, you get dirty. COD doesn't exist anymore.

17. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Chill mate

I was actually thinking of buying untill i saw the navi issues

18. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Who cares if someone plays COD or not. I can't stand stuff like PUBG or any other battle royale but I won't go around the internet trying to convince people that I'm right and they're wrong for enjoying those kind of games.

It's their life/money/time. This sort of attitude reeks of "I don't like X so you shouldn't like it either".

Maddness and MerolaC like this.
  19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ok that was interesting thanks for that advice! I didn't know you could use that in game. Here is what I found:
    https://i.ibb.co/wW7HGGC/desktop-results-after-update.jpg
    While at desktop there was no issues but this is after I updated to KB4505903. This update is said to have fixed issues with:
    -gpu utilization
    -lower then expected fps
    -most importantly fix the ntoskrnl.exe latency issues (which it did)

Now I'm seeing, in game,:

https://i.ibb.co/P4zGBpv/while-in-modernwarfare.jpg
    While playing MW here you can see. HDAudBus.sys and ClassPnP.sys. So far I but HDAudBus in MSIx mode. I haven't figured out what to do with ClassPnP.sys yet.
    Furthermore, I had ntoskrnl.exe latency issues at desktop. I fixed that by usingKB4505903. (I was getting spikes at desktop which I don't have screenshot of).

Classpnp.sys is something I'm still working on. Not sure about this one yet.

I did think the same. However, at 1080p it exhibited the same behavior. I also noticed it in Radeon as well :eek:. Not sure what to make of it right now?
    https://i.ibb.co/xf8R71n/example1.jpg

Ok will try just RTSS. I did try capping the fps and the results were the same. Thanks.

This is the most fun I've had and I thought BO4 was good :D.

To be clear I'm not seeing any stuttering in game. What I am seeing is fps fluctuation, even when capped. At 1080p I get over 200+ FPS when capped to 120/144 it still fluctuates. Which I found odd. That's when I looked at MSI A/B and noticed the spikes in the frametimes. In game if you cap to 144 it goes to 160 which is a bug they haven't fixed. So I've used RTSS in the past.

This is what I've done so far (cliff notes):
    -installed KB4505903 to fix ntoskrnl.exe spikes
    -put HDAudBus.sys into MSIX mode in an attempt to fix spiking in game
    -Researching why ClassPnP.sys is spiking while in game

I am also aware that this game does have a few bugs that need to be fixed and Beenox is well known for their buggy PC Port releases. However, for my peace of mind, I still want to make sure I can rule out my PC.

20. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    i would sell the rig to a NON gamer!