Review: Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GamingPRO

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Palit outs a new revision GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER, the GamingPRO OC version now has been fitted with a triple-fan cooler and fast 15.5 Gbps GDDR6 memory. The GP from Palit. is the super edition, that h...

Review: Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GamingPRO

warlord likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    With an Ampere nearing no one should be spending 800euro for a 2080.

Its fast though.

warlord likes this.
  3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It is more costly than needed. If 2080S was around 650eur and 2080ti around 875eur, they would be smart buy. Better bang for buck than any AMD's offerings.

4. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    These GPU names are becoming stupidly long

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I don't know if RTX was a huge flop or has nVidia sold enough of them. Buying 20XX now is insanity though so this thing is too late to the party.

This year i will finally be able to build my dream PC as i came into some money. Problem is the waiting game, should i wait for AMD 4950X and nVidia Ampere that's the question.

6. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    @Reddoguk ... If you would like to go on AMD route ... what is on the table now is pretty good ... But I would advice you to wait for 4*** , maybe you can get a nice discount or buy something better then . I will either keep this processor or I will excange mine if with 4900x if the leap in performance is justified.
    As for Nvidia ... Ya ... definitely wait... what you can get right now is two years old tech ... wait for something better and newer . In my opinion AMD has better colors and latency response ..... with that in mind I still favor nvidia. I only owned 3 - 4 AMD graphic cards.
    So , overall .. wait 6 - 8 more moths ... you wan't be sorry

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Reddoguk
    insanity? what other card is as fast as a 2080S right now? and im definitely not spending +400 on a 1080.

i got an open box LC 2080 for 600$, tweaked its about 30% faster than my gtx1080 (aircooled),
    that cost the same, and sold for 400, heck even faster than any aircooled 2080S.
    and i wasnt gonna spend money on a new card with same perf (amd), or there was no need to sell the 1080 in the first place.

@IchimA
    make a magnet/sticker for the fridge: "wait for next new tech..."
    why is it bad if something is 2y old? still faster than what amd has, so ppl should get something that's faster if they have the money?
    besides the fact that the new stuff might be more expensive, or the fact that not everyone is willing to have no pc for that long,
    or willing to spend money on something to hold him/her over (which wont sell for full price), and virtually spending the same (in total) amount
    getting something that might cost a it more, right now.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Looks like they should have allowed an adjustable/increasable power limit for this card - the fact that you can't increase the permitted power level on a third party card seems like a missed opportunity that could have easily been fixed. I wouldn't want any third party card I own to be limited by power level...I want it to be instead limited by the quality of silicon and voltage when it comes to overclocking - that way you can extract maximum performance from your silicon.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    who says its (power) limited?
    i have seen cards with only +10% on the slider having higher (overall) limit,
    than the next card with 30% on the slider (but lower base limit).
    max limit counts, not what i gain on that slider, e.g. a card can have no slider to increase limit,
    but has 330w, so a card with 200w as base limit wouldn't even be able match it if it had a +50% range.

outside the fact that not one card (about 10 in total) i have installed since gtx7xx series that
    was limited by power (outside LN2 etc), even on LC units, where temp isnt an issue.
    and so far, cooling has a bigger impact.
    a LC 2080 beats a Super thats aircooled, even when i tweak everything to max (on both),
    no matter if its power/temp or clocks.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  10. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI
    In the BFV page, think you made a mistake, 2 times the WQHD resolution.

11. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    I managed to buy Palit RTX 2080 Super Gamerock right until Christmas, at a heavily discounted 600 EURO. Still, I believed it was 100 euro more then it should have been, but boy this Palit is one of the best built videocards I have ever owned. I tweaked the fans curve so it rarely goes above 60 C under load overclocked. The backplate is connected to the hotspots of the PCB, so it has some cooling capacity so all the bells and whistles.
    But this version though with triple fans at 800 euros it's just absurd. We need the next generations of cards like we need air, especially from AMD. Nvidia has really pushed it with the prices, as hard as it could...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Correct, updated and fixed, thanks.

13. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Everyone is desperate to flog their old stock of unsold 20x0's before the next-gen 30x0 drops... and before their value drops like a stone.

This manufacturer obviously just thought sticking a new triple fan cooler on them was one way of doing this.

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Lol, outside some kingpin/fatality/special edition etc, iwhat used hw doesn't drop in price?
    What about 10xx series?
    You think ppl get more for those?
    Not even talking about value being different based on income, not just perf<>price.

Lol..

15. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    @fry178 ... You are right ... always playing the waiting game is dangerous . And I can't really sell my old pieces . But why should he buy now when in 3 months we have a new line of GPU ?
    You got a 2080 , if you are happy with it , that's all that matters ... but in the same time ... it may or may not be obliterated by this year iteration of gpu's ...

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Where do you get that? All we know is there is a GTC AI conference in March when Nvidia will offer some details about Ampere. Doesnt mean it will be released in 3 months. For all we know it could be from June to September or even later.

17. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Speculating ! I was being optimistic ! Realistic is as you said ! ... june , july .. hell maybe Q4 . but none the less this year we should have a new line

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @IchimA
    And that will always be the case, so why wait, as the next one will be replaced by a newer and faster one as well.
    And just because something is 2y, doesn't make it bad, nor is it too expensive.
    The user that needs to make that decision, not us.
    We can "recommend" to wait, but that's as far as it should go.

19. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    My bad then ! I forgot to put " I Recommend " in my initial post . It' s not my place to tell him what to do with his money .

20. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    Can we have in Overclocking and tweaking section not the Total TimeSpy result but Graphical one also or like it was previously to have a picture of the benchmark itself with all the scores.
    Because even with the same CPU it does not scale linearly.