Laptop died :( Decided to rebuild my 12 yr old desktop :)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Chastity, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    My 7700HQ/GTX1070 motherboard bit the biscuit, probably due to my Intel 660p 2TB failing, and decided to take everything with it. (Greedy Intel) Anyhoo, after having it checked, MicroCenter who sold me the PowerSpec 1710 (Clevo PA70HS-G) wanted $1330 for a new mobo.

So, it seems new laptops that are BGA are disposable.

So I decided to spend my cash on resurrecting a i7 950 X58 system to something modern. My Rampage III Black Edition mobo has also seen it battles, since the x1 PCIe slots died from doing LN2 overclocking. :B Also the Sapphire Nitro R9 390 was getting long in the tooth...

So I bought an all Team RED setup:

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi Z570 mobo
    Ryzen 3600X
    Ballistix 2x16GB DDR4-3200
    Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
    EVGA AIO Water cooler

Moved all the nice NVME drives I had in the lappy to the desktop, along with my 2 EVO Sata SSD's.

Still in the process of installing everything, but it's nice to kiss off NVIDIA for good. (requiring white list in BIOS to enable GSync on a laptop screen is so ghey)

But now I face some new challenges, like config'ing my memory to be at the XMP settings. And I have to learn how to tune a Navi card. I'm going to wait a year or so that AMD can roll out some proper laptop solutions.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Chastity
    Look, there are board repair shops who can fix your laptop for 150-200$.
    When a laptop dies , it's usually the power rails missing, MOSFET failures or some other SMD component.
    If you have some spare time, look for Louis Rossmann on his repair videos on MacBooks
    Apart from being ASMR ish you will quickly learn that having a schematic and some logical thinking gives almost God powers , able to repair even the most obscure circuitry.
    Just don't toss it into the trash bin, it could be fixed for less and ask for a second opinion from someone who does board repair. Microcenter have good HW prices, but their main goal is selling parts. Not fix them.
    That's why I try to point you into board repair bussines where people can have their stuff repair for less.

And congratulations on the new build, enjoy it.
    Nothing beats opening new hardware parts cases and unwrap them components.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    3600MHz CL16
    3733MHz CL16
    3800MHz CL16-17-17-16 32 44 1T (Rest at Auto, let it Train then adjust)

Try this :p
    For other Values try 1Usmus Ryzen Calculator.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I haven't tossed it yet, I just decided to rebuild my desktop system. In fact, I have it here. TBH, there aren't any great laptop replacements for it, especially since I don't want an NVIDIA solution, especially for a laptop.

So I decided to give it a sexy overhaul, and enjoy some Ryzen 3 love. Plus my old board had an issue where the SATA controller shared an IRQ with PCIe Slot 0, and was always a PITA to get it to coexist. And the SATA controller didn't like RAID drivers past 14.0.0.x. Now, all that is behind me, I have a slew of USB3.x ports, and looking for antenna options for the on-board Intel AX200 Wifi.

If I can't fix the lappy, at least I can hold out until there's a proper Ryzen/Navi combo laptop.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Ah, good to know that you didn't toss it. Well, there's a good chance to have it repaired.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Just to follow up:

1) Temps on the system are just awesome. Using water cooling for the CPU keeps case temps down, and only the GPU is spilling out into the HAF-X, which is adequately pushing out the heat.

2) Having eliminated NV solved my compatibility issues with VRR, and the fresh OS install eliminated my screen blanking when starting a hw accel video playback. (mpc-be + madvr)

3) The Radeon Overly is just damn useful, tho I wished it reported CPU temps. Being able to change driver level settings on the fly and in-game is awesome.

4) I think I accumulated 6 months of free XBox Gaming credits from AMD, plus Resident Evil 3 and MHW: Icebourne Master Edition.

5) Overclocking a 3600X is lulwtf. You do better by undervolting it, and opening up the Boost clocks by max (+200) and get 4.4 GHz on all cores. And it's super easy to maintain on water.

6) The amount of heat generated by this new setup is much less compared to the X58 system + R9 390. BTW, the 390 is only a few months old of use, before it sat for 2 years unused, as it was a new replacement for a failed 390 if anyone is interested in a used one with low mileage. :) I also have some DDR3-1600 RAM modules, in groups of three sticks. :D