Download: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.4

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2020.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    No it's fine, I understand perfectly what you are saying, it does not apply in this situation.

I had one crash last night while playing Grip, and then another crash today while having a basic html website open with no video playing on the page, just text... as I was saying I know this system very well, for there to be two crashes like this is unusual, the only difference was updating to this driver, I have since gone back to 19.12.3

After seeing others reporting elsewhere that they were having similar crashes with this driver... well it's quite obvious isn't it.

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I am starting to think the black screens and crashes on navi cards are different to older gen cards

3. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    You only mentioned the browser crash in that post, so...)

4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    AMD and I say all's good.

5. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    The common thing is the drivers, so makes sense that is the issue.

Hope they get this sorted very soon, because it did work before. Then they should avoid breaking things again. With them seemingly not knowing the difference between Automatic and Manual, who knows if we'll ever have properly functioning drivers.

6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    TROLOLOL

7. reslore

reslore Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 7800 XT
    The only problem I have with these drivers is browser hardware acceleration downclocking my memory in-game. Everything else is all good as warlord would put it.

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Those spikes are in the order of hundreds of milliseconds and are not related to a particular process or driver if you are able to catch them with the WPA (or at least they change everytime)? I drastically lowered these issues by removing the dedicated audio card, but I didn't solve those at 100%.
    I do not use Adobe Flash at all, and for me when it happens it is from the OS startup.

9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    So.... second day on the old 19.12.1 driver and countless videos later. And stable. No black screens. Will post an update in a few days.
    But it seems the new 2020 branch is a complete mess also for VEGA users. I do hope they will fix it in a few releases so I can upgrade again.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Playing MtG Arena + YT Music at background on Firefox (HW Acc. On), no problems at all.
    For my setup problematic was PCI bus v.0.75 (now im on AMD PCI = 1.0.0.74). :)

Note:
    You have New & shiny ;) (read unmatured) platform... Give it some time.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020

11. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    VEGA is not that unmatured.
    And the TRX40 platform is stable since day three (took me two days to stabilize alle the 8 populated memory banks :) AMD definitely learned a lot since the first RyZEN launch).
    And I was on both AMD PCI drivers (74 and now 75) and it didn't make a difference at all for me with the countless black screens.

And don't take it wrong... but you hype nearly each and every driver even if they contained bug confirmed by a lot of ppl... So.... yeah... I take it with a grain of salt ;-)
    Anyway.... 19.12.1, 2,5 days and counting without black screens.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    GlennB and OnnA like this.
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    That's what made me realize there was definitely an issue with the driver, which resulted in me looking if others were having problems xD

13. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Still sensing a bit of confusion, but we agree on the driver issue for sure)

I don't understand AMD's stance on this. They seem to either be unwilling on unable to fix it... Wouldn't they want to correct this ASAP, if possible?
    Doesn't us having very different systems make this issue easier to pin down? Is someone working there way too cozy and safe?

14. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Damn, this game could really benefit from Vulkan. Hopefully that once Vulkan is implemented in this engine, the next Assassins Creed entries will get it as well, as they could use lower cpu overhead very very much.

15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Your bugs here guru3d are almost non existent, sorry. Most are due to user's fault and system instabilities.

See reddit. Most people have fixed their own problems on by themselves, before amd does anything.

Report your issues with each driver released and pray vanguard or developing team can replicate those. :cool:

16. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    As if the black screen issue is not part of the known list for a while now. Come on...)

PrEzi likes this.
  17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I'm actually playing AC Origins via Vulkan by using DXVK :)
    It does not play nice with MSI Afterburner for unknown reason to me, so make sure you don't have it enabled.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Origins and Odyssey has a pretty high CPU load due to the number of threads the engine wants but even so due to issues with the drivers Vulkan though wrapped from D3D11 still seems to have benefits and from AMD's recent little topic on their Reddit and the continuing trend of not commenting at all in regards to the GPU downclocking this seems like a tough thing to fix though with the behavior improvements in Vulkan (And D3D12?) and also the Linux drivers as I've understood it from reading the situation there then software wise there are improvements that would be possible even if the GPU's behavior is in hardware itself. :)

Still there is a possibility of a maximum FPS decrease though if the clock speeds aren't stable that would actually be a increase or a overall improvement to average performance and as a result a bit less stuttering much as the engine isn't hitting some issues for how much geometry and the numerous draw calls it's doing and other data both CPU and GPU wise. :D

Nice engine even so though although it doesn't scale down well with regards to the CPU but Intel pushing quad cores for so long is also a bit of a thing I suppose thus hexa and octa core requirements hitting harder from that now that we're seeing a move towards this.

Though gaming wise octa core as something of a requirement for CPU performance is still pretty rare.
    But Origins and Odyssey mostly run into issues for the major cities so hexa works well enough too the majority of the time and then it's Alexandria or Athens time heh, nice detailed densely populated city areas though for how the game presents it.

EDIT: Stability is the main thing on my end though, D3D9 and D3D11 can be a bit crash prone on Adrenaline 2020 so yeah being a bit stubborn ha ha, well it works even if it can top off the max framerate occasionally and I assume it will be fixed although the GPU performance issues might end up being resolved with Navi2 hardware.
    (Some software improvements should still be possible though at least there's that.)

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Same Games Played everyday, if they work then im happy with the new driver.
    This one is 2nd Best of all time (3Dmark)
    First is 19.12.3 (Test in Vega thread).

Note:
    Always have cleaned OS:
    Using System Mechanic (Free) and Windows tools (Disk cleanup) to free clutter and invalid registry entries.
    HDD/SSD tested by CheckDiskGUI.
    New drivers updated by Factory Reset /keep user settings.

It just works for me :p (sometimes 2-3h in BFV Multi so system needs to be stable as an rock).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  20. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    You must be one of the lucky fews then :)
    Oh and I keep my systems very clean... and up to date.... and always do clean install of all major releases (and in case of weird bugs - reinstalling clean to exclude a dirty-install issue).
    I am not complaining about the stability during gameplays --- the 2020 @ 3D was also flawless for me (games).
    But I do a lot of idle time, surfing, videos... several things at once (but not in the 3d mode) -- that is why it might indicate issues with the idle clocks /UVD clocks / voltages / power saving in the 20.1.4 (and earlier 2020 series) drivers with VEGA (and the 5xxx series which they acknowledged but nut Vega)??
    I don't know.
    If I would know it would be long solved and gone.... It might not occur for you cause I know you like to play with the powerplay tables, but I like to keep em stock ;-)

Oh and BTW --- nearing 3 day without black screens (and countless YT Videos) on the 19.12.1 driver.... Now I am 85% sure that 19.12.1 is "clean" from the issues the 2020 branch is having with Vega.

I will post an update tomorrow ... when I`ll be 99% sure that this problem doesn't exist with 19.12.1 branch & vega & yt.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    geko95gek and OnnA like this.