Navi RDNA Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jun 11, 2019.

1. datspike

datspike Guest

GPU:
    RX 590 Nitro+
  2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I have a private version that is not released to the public due to a few additional dangerous options. The creator of MPT does not want to be responsible for the masses burning up parts of their gpus, so on a handful of people have the private tool, that he knows will not hold him responsible and also knows we are all very experienced. So no public tools exist at this time.

I really only started messing with the vram and I/O controller voltage just this last couple of weeks and talking with the creator as well about my new findings with MPT. As I said stock cooling even AIB I believe would not be enough once you start changing these values. I have full water blocks on separate loops.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  3. MSIMAX

MSIMAX Active Member

GPU:
    3x 290x cfx
    i would like to test the private version also if possible on the liquid devil i'll sign a waiver lol

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Two questions:
    1. Is FreeSync and Gsync the exact same thing?
    2. How are the AMD drivers? I've read that they are a bit buggy (with RDNA)

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Similar results at least though NVIDIA has their own scalar hardware on the G-Sync displays. (And it seems to be a bit costly but guarantees certain standards whereas AMD now has a variety of FreeSync 2 certifications more added just a short time ago.)
    AMD for now also has a bit of a workaround for HDMI adaptive sync support for FreeSync but for 2.1 this should be part of the standard directly. :)

Driver wise well it's varied though Adrenaline 2020 has introduced a few problems for Vega and Polaris which still isn't entirely resolved and RDNA 1 or Navi cards still have some problems for a number of users across Windows and Linux some AMD have acknowledged and are working against others for whatever reason are met with silence though even that can be telling if there's some upper directive for a type of gag order on discussing this particular problem. (GPU downclocking under lower workloads.)

Hearing good things overall on the Linux driver recently at least, Windows well still needs work so yeah it's a solid GPU but I would be checking on returns and warranties and such just in case something does happen and also not wait on a driver solution as that can take a while. (7 months now for some of these remaining problems, situation is improving but that is still pretty bad in terms of time this has taken so far.)

EDIT: The varied nature of some of these issues are also a bit of a thing, it's very much possible it'll work just fine aside from the nature of how the GPU operates in regards to downclocking but even this might not be too bad depending on what games or programs are running at which point it's a really good graphics card for price and performance. :)

5600 is also a nice one just a bit below though the 6 GB VRAM with many newer titles pushing into 7 - 7.5 GB or more is a concern though AMD's little performance boost thing pushed it close to the 5700 non-XT ... which isn't that far from a 5700 XT.
    (Some tweaking of settings and that might not be a big deal though.)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for your reply.

I've got an Acer X34A and wouldn't want to have to switch monitor if I want to buy an RX 5900 (if it's coming out).

Regarding the driver, seems like they have some problems indeed. I won't say that nVidia are better, they also have issues (and recurring ones) but luckily not something I've had to worry about. The downclocking part sounds like a bug I wouldn't want to experience since performance is key due to the high resolutions I'm playing at where all games are GPU bound.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah there's known issues with both vendors and various specific issues with games or programs yes though it's taken a bit longer than expected for some of these Navi problems however seeing AMD starting to more openly acknowledge the problems is a positive improvement now it just needs to be corrected however this will be accomplished. :)

And yes the main problem with the card downclocking has primarily been somewhat older or less demanding titles where the GPU can even drop to near idle clock speeds so running using a higher render resolution including downsampling has been one way to get the performance to be more consistent until this can be resolved so 2560x1440 or higher and the issue mainly comes up in a few specific titles or games that put a very light workload on the GPU even at higher resolutions which also applies to NVIDIA but the result is still higher consistent framerate and less stuttering unlike how performance on AMD's Navi cards are affected.

For the rumored 5800 and higher possibly on RDNA2 I expect to see this improved further especially if there's additional hardware differences, far as I've read there's already changes on the GPU core and a different stepping for the 5500 and then again on the newer 5600 supposedly fixing some smaller error for the 5500 and currently unknown for the 5600 although the improvements do seem to also apply to overall GPU characteristics and how it operates such as less power draw and consistent wattage with lower spiking and overall a reduced power consumption even on clock speeds comparable to the 5700 cards if these are downvolted and downclocked to similar levels.
    (Bodes well for RDNA2 and further chips and possible improvements in hardware whether fixes or overall efficiency and optimizations to the architecture.)

EDIT: Although I still have much more to try and figure out for how Navi here and RDNA is doing certain things and the ongoing software compatibility problems and overall driver situation and remaining confirmed problems but it's looking like AMD is turning things around a bit even if it's a bit later than would be ideal.

Three or so months perhaps not six almost seven and more open on discussing some of these issues and acknowledging their existence instead of almost ignoring it or stating their engineers and programmers were unaware of them which...is extremely unlikely for how often these problems have been discussed now both among users and then even media channels and tech websites.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Damn what a deal. If only had some cash laying around :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    MaestroBayten and SpajdrEX like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    And another one, great deals on this guy. I just contacted him about this one if its sold and why sudden price drop. Its new...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Maddness likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yo @Undying
    Make spoiler (those images are bigggg)
    [ spoiler] [/ spoiler] No space in both.

And Deal is a must buy IMhO.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sorry i was on a phone and mobile just sucks. I will edit it soon as i am on my pc.

OnnA likes this.
  12. MustangIsBoss

MustangIsBoss Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700XT (ref)
    Thanks for the reply, I face-palmed the day after I posted my original reply, having remembered the part about the private version of the tool. I guess I'll just wait to probably through it under a waterblock when the warranty expires, might do the washer mod soon.

13. Sheldon Pitre

Sheldon Pitre Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Jetson AGX X
    This is good for set up

14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080

MaCk0y likes this.

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I watched the original piece on this by Adore, and I think Adore overlooked the idea that it's due to something on the OS level, and not the driver itself. I'm running a fresh install of 1909 with 20.2.1 and all is working just fine. (Reinstalled due to total rebuild of desktop system) I did have some temporary blanking issues using the old OS install with the new hardware when playing fullscreen vids, which smells like HDCP not behaving properly. Adore shouldn't have made that video like he did without doing more research. Now the other sites are hyping it up, just like you are.

OnnA likes this.
  17. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Believe what you want, but AMD did acknowledge the blank screen/reboot was an issue and currently looking into it. Though, the blank screen issue aside AMD drivers have seen better days.

It's just not AdoredTV, but other mainstream video sites like Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed have all complained recently, documenting problems in videos about long standing driver issues. It's hard not to take them seriously particularly since it's fairly easy to find a large population on the internet with the same issues.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    The big common denominator in this is that nobody knows for sure what is the basis of the problem. There are also others like myself who aren't having any issue at all, and there are others who are being forced to use earlier drivers for stability. If you actually read the posts that AdoredTV listed, like on r/AMD, you will see a diverse collection of people who will state:

1) The issue has existed for a couple of years
    2) The issue only started a couple of months ago
    3) It only happens on specific titles
    4) It happens with all gaming
    5) What issue? Everything is working

Some can roll back to 20.1.2 and be ok, others it's 19.12.1, and some others it's even earlier. The point here is that there is no consistency to point at and say "It's this." As a troubleshooter, this inconsistency suggests that it's not just a driver issue. It can be an OS component or setting, or maybe a power saving feature activating when it should not be. Others suggested that it could be from many fluctuations in GPU memory settings from autotuning causing this.

Nobody knows, and to blame the drivers is premature and reactionary.

What I do know is that my system is very stable, and doesn't show any annoying issues when gaming or otherwise. I am just trying to inquire from those with issues to find out what hardware they have and do some comparisons, like what memory chips do they have on their GPUs, OC settings, etc.

So I am going to disregard this hype train, and I lol'd at the videos suggesting there's this mass exodus off 5700 XT and running over to 2070 Supers. Over the last 3 years AMD's commitment to driver quality has improved dramatically, and I feel a solution will be forthcoming. As to when, it depends how soon they can peg down what is causing it, or even if it's just one thing. And how well they collaborate with their partners, like Microsoft.

19. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    It's nice that now reviewers are raising awareness about the driver issues but it has been 7 months since Navi launch. Too late. AMD should have put out an official announcement about the BLSOD months ago and not in late January. It's the lack of communication from AMD that's most frustrating. Trying to ignore the driver issues might be beneficial for sales in the short term but will lose customers in the long term.

Jackalito and MustangIsBoss like this.
  20. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    No one is ignoring driver issues. It's true that customers are not always aware if their reported issue is being acknowledged. No worries, it will get better :)

Jackalito and OnnA like this.