Windows 10 Queueing Frames in game (false fullscreen mode?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Andre Souza, Jan 18, 2020.

1. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Active Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    For me yes. 1709 was for me literally the best for gaming in the past. Least stuttering and flip mod in DX10.1+ games. Like I could force GTA5 to 10.1 and it would run in independent flip mode. Microsoft is becoming a joke in gaming. Store games in encrypted folders and UWP wrappers and removing stuff which embody fullscreen optimizations.

If you reinstall Windows and have games on another drive from the store YOU CANT SET THAT DRIVE AT ALL AGAIN. You have to get ownership of EVERYTHING and then delete it in Safemode. Whoever made those decisions is beyond stoopid

PapaJohn likes this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MS if chock full great idea these days!? i have no clue what you talking about.....

I dont and wont use the MS store I definitely wont buy games threwit , and seeing I have all my games install 1gb SSD that IS NOT my OS drive. that decision of there will piss me to no end to point I wouldnt never use MS store again if I used it. If steam can reconizes game from another drive simply by pointing steam to it and have no issue dont see why MS has such issue. then again Win10 and its security issues are crazy like they worse then they were on win7, have to go threw flaming hoops to get access to files on your own system. at one point all the files I had on my 1GB SSD that all my games and other stuff is on I had no access to I was not allow to do anything other then maybe look at the files.

3. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Active Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    I will never buy there either but have the Gamepass for 4€ as there were and are some games that I played and saved some money. But this locked down stuff is just mindblown. You can't mod those games either even if you take ownership. It won't let you put ANY files in there sometimes. And if it does the game will not launch.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ms store can use multiple drives, your whinge has no basis.

Smough and Mda400 like this.

5. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Active Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    Choose your second drive as a store install location. Reinstall windows and then choose that location again it will error out. Stop annoying me Sora geez

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    of course already installed data will be invalidated when you reinstall windows. GUID's associated to your install are completely invalidated.

Your mistake is falling back on outdated habits where you believe you need to clean install to keep windows performing well - You don't, this is an artifact of operating systems that didn't self manage their own health - nor have anual 6 monthly upgrades that do a nice tidy cleanup.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If Steam worked that way there would be equal frustration. Having a portable Steam library is very convenient for lots of legitimate reasons.
    Amusing "reinstalling Windows out of paranoia" is a strawman here. Maybe they got a new PC and they wish to pop their games drive into it. Maybe they got a new SSD they wish to install Windows to (most don't bother with mirroring). Sites like Guru3D often find a portable steam library invaluable for moving from testbench to testbench.
    WS games lack the feature, imho, out of true paranoia. Paranoia that does make games very hard to crack, but ultimately hurts the actual consumer. Something you should never be in favor of.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The difference is your content purchases are associated to your MS account and Microsoft went all in on Digital rights management + Tamper prevention.

The UID associated to your current account will not match the UID of your old account so this is actually windows behaving exactly as it should be expected to since the ACL's won't know who you are.

You can configure a pre-set windows image that can be moved from machine to machine with no change to the UID's and it'll work with a matching ms store config based on the ACL's matching.

It's a touch more involved but is not really an issue.

You can also install to the super-admin account which always uses predefined UID, with full access on the ms store location.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    This is why I said WS lacks this ability out of paranoia, take away power/punish legit users to stop the spooky pirates.
    Steam's DRM still supports portability. Manually launching the game on another OS installation won't work unless you have steam installed and signed into any account with that game purchased.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    updated my post, i thought about it a bit more.

Looking through the ACL's on the contents, it should be as simple as using the sysinternals tool to edit the security as the TrustedInstaller and adding your current UID with Read and Execute, List and Read.

1. icacls "X:\PathToRestored\Program Files\WindowsApps" /save "X:\WhereToSave\WindowsApps.acl"
    2. icacls "%ProgramFiles%" /restore "X:\PathToSaved\WindowsApps.acl"
    3. icacls “%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps” /setowner “NT Service\TrustedInstaller”

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm not sure how to respond to the UID and ACL information. That's interesting, but in the end you're just explaining why the flaw is exist. And we both know it doesn't need to exist.
    Even if Guru3D (insert tech site/youtuber) does that (and I know some do) they are still going to be frustrated that they can't just have a portable library like Steam. It's just easier to have it disconnected from a Windows OS install. And reinstalling Windows tends to happen a lot for these places.
    As for the other scenarios, most wouldn't want to bother. I know I wouldn't bother. Clearly n3v3rm1nd doesn't either.

12. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Sorry for repeating this question but... What's the actual issue from a practical standpoint? (Because I am not sure I really get the point of this thread.)
    I mean, I understand Win10 now forces the new (fullscreen exclusive -> flip queue) redirection behavior (ignoring all known system settings). But what's the perceived downside of this (if any)? (Besides the inconsistent behavior of the registry settings which are not present on any OS GUI.)
    I think this is now forced because the new method should theoretically be equal or better and MS wishes to fully 'deprecate' the old fullscreen mode. What claims (and evidence) do you have against this FS mode (if any)? Do you even claim this method to be inferior? I am not even sure you do because you didn't write anything of the sort but you still call it an "issue" and ask for a "fix" which indirectly suggest you think this mode is undesirable (yet you don't say why).

Smough likes this.
  13. Timur Born

Timur Born Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    I am on 1909 and Total War: Warhammer 2 still seems to offer true fullscreen mode, including the delay, slightly higher fps, own VSync control and possible problems when you tab out. Usually I don't enable it, because it can cause the game to freeze when you alt-tab out just when you finished your turn (hit "End Turn") and I prefer the convenience of quickly tabbing out.

14. Mikeztm

Mikeztm Member

GPU:
    HD7870XT
    1709 is already EOL. So Even it's perfect (of cause not) you can not run it as a daily driver.
    It's on game developer to support Flip mode with correct low latency implementation.

15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    What has Flip mode to do with the standby memory bug?

16. Mikeztm

Mikeztm Member

GPU:
    HD7870XT
    Rolling back System to a EOL'd one is never a fix to any problem. If you did not have flip issue and only have "standby memory bug" then just report it to Microsoft/Your device vender and hope they will fix it.

17. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Active Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    In what kind of matrix do you live where Microsoft fixes something gaming related? You want to go to 1709? Do it, nothing will happen. You will not suddenly have millions of infections on your pc.

18. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Still, if you must downgrade you should go for 1607 LTSC unless you need OS HDR support for some games (but NVAPI HDR is available if the software supports that as well).

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can't run turing on 1607

20. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Hmm. I thought you only loose the ray tracing functionality (and may be DSSL).