Star Trek Picard

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Clawedge, Aug 5, 2018.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Original Series was always on the level of Othello.
    Disclaimer: I've got every single series and the movies on DVD/Blu-ray

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^A very young David Soul from Starsky and Hutch fame.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    If you ever watch Game Of Thrones you should check out his Season 8 episode reviews.

4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Are there new kind of teleporters where people going into them disappear and people coming out of the appear at the Starfleet Headquarters?

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I watch the first episode on pluto tv cause they was air it all day, I like and all but not enough to pay for cbs now access, i still kind pissed cbs wont just air on there damn channel the new star trek

This pretty much after voyager timely so the have some nice tech to battle borg and explains how there borg cube used romulan base

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think it depends on how inept and 'backward' the writers are...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Makes sense walk in to an arch at point a and walk out matching arch at point b.

Seems logical, pad to pad was always passed off as a passe and easy thing to do even back in early TNG it was pad to non pad and back again that required real tech and they had that down to split second by the end of the TNG Trek movies (Nemesis.) No idea how the set up works in Picard, i.e a specific arch takes you to a specific exit arch or you can pre select an exit arch using some sort of address or dialling system set up. Whatever the deal I can see how the tech would be in place given that 20 or so years have passed since Nemesis, plus their was never any indication in previous Treks that at least some sort of early version of the set up wasn't already in place.

Size_Mick likes this.
  8. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    So far enjoying the series though the comments from Stewart about the progressive agenda of the show (dealing with Brexit etc) left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. They haven't exactly beat you over the head with it and it's been more subtle, but I will reserve judgement.

Did anyone find it kind of silly how they just glazed over a secret Romulan group that has existed for 'thousands of years' (before most species even had warp travel), and their goal is to destroy synthetic life because of a secret truth they know. And for some reason they never came after Data before? It's like someone wrote that plot on a napkin.

9. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Could the reason be because Data never passed for being human.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The bigger science fiction point that has appeared to have passed everyone by, but I saw (and I'm sure others did) that such a plotline is one of the plots of Dune in its canonical history:

The biggest spoiler ever to Star Trek Picard and you should not open this as it will alter your perception of Star Trek Picard. I'm not kidding, I have absolutely no intention of ruining an entire television show for anyone.

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    who else saw the flashforge dreamer 3d printer used as a replicator on picard?

12. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    That's an old sci-fi idea and I bet it's older than Dune. I would be absolutely amazed if the plotline turned out to be ANYTHING like what is described in that article. In fact, now that I think of it, Herbert probably ripped off the idea from Clarke. Really it could be looked upon as the classic man vs. machine struggle, or historically speaking from the Luddite movement.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think if there is anything the writers can do to stretch out a 'story' it will be one that has lots of 'history' that rewrites the canonical history of Star Trek to the ninth degree (prizes for that pun, anyone?).

If the 'writers' did that, they could spend episode upon episode of people dolling out exposition about some non-canon BS that never happened. "Oh wait, did the audience get bored? Quick! put a bag over the actors head and put a stunt actor in there to do choreographed action, because we do not know how to structure drama with tonnes of exposition! "

It's pathetic...

But, although you are correct in that the 'fear' of technological advancement is replete across sci-fi stories - Frank Herbert took the route of not allowing humans to create that which could replace us. This, is really the undertone that ended up defining an entire universe.

14. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I hope that at some point they show why that Romulans order is against synthetic lifeforms. And does the order also have a beef against Voyagers EMH being recognized as a sentient lifeform.

15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Beyond trash as always. Nothing can save this pos. Once disliked for ever died to me like those who support anomalies, I won't take their path.

16. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    How much you wanna bet the whole Romulan thing is a false flag and it winds up being some human from Mars who lost his wife/kids/whatever and is using the Romulan Bogeyman legend and a few angry Romulans to frame them, as he takes his revenge against the synths?

Is this show any good? For me, it's too early to tell but as I've stated elsewhere in this thread, I'll watch it anyhow becaue I'm a big P.S. fan. His acting ability can carry half the load. Look at the last movie the NG crew did, it looked really thrown together and they all got fat (including Data), but I still enjoyed it.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    PS is good, but...I always found his acting to be a little...deliberate?

TNG would not have been the same without him, for sure, and yes, his acting pretty much held together ridiculous plot lines and made the suspension of disbelief credible...but...always felt he was a minuscule bit forceful in his delivery.

18. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Convoluted and stupid story lines are nothing new to the Trek franchise and certainly nothing new to Picard's story.

all it comes down to is do you enjoy it, doesn't matter how stupid it is.

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    That story in the video is neither convoluted nor stupid. It is entirely within cannon.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    any story that the star trek ip owners allow is cannon.