AMD might detail new RDNA2 graphics card on March 5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    On Financial Analysts Day AMD would share the first details about the new graphics cards that AMD has in the works. According to Mithun Chandrasekhar, the man behind Radeon product management, 'Big N...

AMD might detail new RDNA2 graphics card on March 5

Embra, Undying, warlord and 1 other person like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Bring it, my wallet is ready. That's what i say.

OnnA, Embra, Undying and 1 other person like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    People never imagined that amd will disrupt the market and kick Intel this bad so nvidia you are next.

Petr V, Maddness and warlord like this.
  4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Isn't it too early to call it rdna2? I suppose rdna+ is more to the point. Like zen. Zen2 came after zen+. Big Navi perhaps means just big and not something entirely new, unless they EOL Navi 1.0 based 5000 series and move to 6000 totally.

5. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It wouldn't surprise me if big Navi is RDNA 2 on 7nm+ if the rumors that its 2x 5700xt performance. That would probably be impossible and keep it at the 300 watt limit. The clocks would have to be dropped considerably to keep it under that. There by reducing performance. So RDNA 2 does make sense. By the sounds of it, we'll know soon enough.

warlord likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its never to early when you are behind the competition. I'll say bring out everyhing you've got. It will force nvidia on the deffensive and prices will go down.

warlord likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Wait, there are new Radeons on the horizon in 2020?

warlord likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Much sooner than everyone expected it seems.

mohiuddin, warlord and Maddness like this.
  9. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    A new range of cards ? Mid to high end !? or the 5700xt are the mid ? ... Cuz this sounds to good to be true . Anyone know when Nvidia will get a new range ? ( 3000***) ? This year is monitor and maybe Video card update for me ! maybe the new 32' Gigabyte model !? Or anyone can recommend me a 2020 monitor 1?

warlord likes this.
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    jbscotchman and warlord like this.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'd even buy a X570 mobo just for the sake of it.

warlord and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's earlier than I anticipated.
    What is usual use for your screen outside of browsing, office, ...
    Gaming? (What kind of games? strategy/fps? SP/MP? ... )
    Movies?
    Photo editing?
    And what is your current screen?

warlord likes this.
  13. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    GTC is an AI and DL conference, hardly Nvidia will talk about gaming GPUs. If anything, they can show something for the professional market.

Anyway, what's the hurry for? AMD is not exactly putting pressure on them. I am sure that Nvidia is more than prepared for what AMD will offer. Both companies know better than we do what each is working on.

Besides, I’ve seen a lot of people comparing CPUs to GPUs, but they are completely different market situations for AMD.

On CPUs, AMD caught an Intel sleeping for almost a decade, with marginal performance increases every year. As if that were not enough, Intel were too ambitious for their 10nm density and the shot backfired. And to make things even worse, at a time when AMD had access to a better manufacturing process. That is, without taking AMD's merit, but basically everything aligned to AMD almost perfectly, probably not even they expected everything to go that well.

In the GPU front, the story is very different. Not only has Nvidia significantly increased performance every generation, introducing new features and always improving the efficiency of its products, unlike CPUs, the 7nm advantage does not apply here. Nvidia is still equal or better with the old 12nm in perf/watt and they will change to 7nm in a few months.

These are very different market situations, and unless all the stars line up for AMD and Nvidia starts to fail hard, I don't see how anything similar to CPUs could happen. I don't doubt that AMD could have something competitive, but doing in GPUs the same what Ryzen have done on CPUs is pretty much a pipedream.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Maddness, barbacot and warlord like this.
  14. blacknova

blacknova Member

GPU:
    RTX2070 Super
    Hm... I hardly care about 4k performance. While it would be nice, I'm more interested in functionality in other word function parity with RTX would be very nice and with support under Linux even more. The performance is nice, but I'm still OK with RX480 in most games I play.

anticupidon and warlord like this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Except of achievable clock. That played against AMD. But I do agree about CPUs.

On GPU front, AMD changed a lot performance per cycle with RDNA. Same applies to power efficiency.
    And rumors have it that RDNA2 will have 50% higher performance per Watt. That's what is important. As it is what makes good mobile GPU. Good iGPU. Good 300W GPU.
    That means AMD should be able to deliver GPU that is around 2,1 times stronger than RX 5700 XT at 300W power limit.
    Or 1.9x stronger iGPU than that in 3400G at same power. (Something that can actually play 60fps+ at good details.)

We are yet to see which of those patents we have seen before are going to be implemented with RDNA2. But I am hopeful that we will see different shader count per dual-CU.

Maddness, warlord and Undying like this.

16. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Yes Intel suck and nvidia is overpriced Amd looks like best option and my desktop need to be replaced.

anticupidon, Undying and warlord like this.
  17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    AMD is the true rebellion. If I should buy Intel and/or Nvidia, I would feel guilty towards to both society and consumers.

mohiuddin, Petr V, sverek and 2 others like this.
  18. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    If like in politics they weren't in Bed together, Id agree, but they won't cause then they both lose. Its like Dems and Republicans, its all the same you only seem to win...........

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    My plans to buy a cheap Polaris card is even more outaded.
    Confusing times, I miss my RX480 dearly.

20. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    @Fox2232
    My current screen is a 24" Benq from 10 years ago.
    I use the monitor for Acad , but i i don need perfect color reproduction and games .
    Fast-paced and slow paced . R6Siege , Rdr2 , Odyssey , frostpunk .... All geners I play when I have time.
    I rarely use it for movies as I dlna my computer to my TV .
    Thing is I want freesync 2 , something with the latest technology as I plant to keep it again for 10 - 12 years . Also, I don't really want 4k as then I will need a beefy video card . And I don't want to give my wallet a hearth attack

HARDRESET likes this.