Review: GALAX HOF Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 - Going for 5000 MB/sec

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Same 4k random read @qd=1 performance as samsung Sm951 nvme released in 2015.

Looks like there is no need to upgrade for a bit higher seq read and write yet

3. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    It has to due with how data transfer is calculated, usually with networking involving bits to bytes calculation.

But this gets confused when talking about non-networking products that typically talk in the "byte" value. Even typing 5000 MB to GB in duckduckgo, gives me a result of 5GB... It's 5,120 MB that equal 5 GB.

LIGuitar77 and tunejunky like this.
  4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    another great review HH.

i feel like a Ferengi learning the rules of acquisition, cuz i'm a greedy lil' pup who likes shiny.;);)

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Please don't.

6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    It looks pretty cool but given my primary M.2 slot is buried squarely under my video card I'd be hard pressed to wonder if they charged extra for the white PCB and "fancy" heat sink.

Mesab67 likes this.
  7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    There's chips on both sides? How do you cool the chips facing down to the mobo. I thought these m.2 had all the chips facing upwards. Could it throttle because of that fact.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Great to see improvement in NVMe area.
    Slowly, all enterprise stuff eventually will reach to a better price point and better for everyone.
    Still, there is room for improvement and what we are getting now, somewhere 3-4 years down the road will be less than the norm.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That was one of mandatory properties when I was picking board. I wanted M.2 above 1st full x16 PCIe slot.

Some M.2 SSDs heat up a lot.

tunejunky likes this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is clearly not for everyone. but if you have a theme and an exposed M.2 slot this would be the icing on a tasty cake.

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Technically, storage manufacturers make use of SI units correctly, 1GB meaning precisely 1 billion bytes or 1,000,000,000 and not the formatted usage we're accustomed to which if we were to use the binary prefix would be GiB or Gibibyte and thus 1,073,741,824 bytes. The truth is we don't actually use the units correctly in daily usage.

12. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I had a headache understanding what I was supposed to do with my M.2 on the TRX40 Msi Creator, but they designed the slots to work with single-side and dual-side, there are thermal pads on both sides under the covers and depending on how many sides are populated you add/remove, still unsure I did it right...I guess so ?
    (less than 1hr of uptime, it's going to go in the 50-57 but not much more)
    Force MP600 37 °C (diretc airflow from bottom fans)
    Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB 36 °C / 46 °C(special placement between right memory stick and 24pin psu cable)
    Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 43 °C / 48 °C (airflow blocked by pcie card in bottom slot)

one thing for sure even in my intel build, M.2 require good airflow, behind the gpu helps or not depending on how hot it gets, if you set the fan to min rpm for example 1000rpm with msi afterburner the videocard will blow air onto the m.2 and thus actively cool it, it's when you play games using 98% of your gpu that things go bad, slots above the gpu will be hotter as the gpu backplate is the no1 heat generator when gaming inside your case, backplate temp go to 80 or 100°C (I learned that the hard way when I had a case with a door left panel, opened it placed my fingers on the backplate after 8hrs of gaming, bad idea) easily if you play high detail borderlands 3 (game is using the gpu as much as stress tests like Kombustor) and the slot under the gpu will have 60°C or more air blown onto it
    this is the reason why I completely dropped cpu air cooling and now only buy cases with bottom fans, the only fix for those damn glass panel cases (without it your rear-below quarter under the gpu has absolutely zero airflow and your gpu is sucking constantly hot air, your front fans air is going straight up to the top exhaust and never reaches there)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I was surprised drives getting hot even regular ones. I just got a MX500 2TB Corsair. It hit about 53C while transferring large game files. I was seeing sustained transfer rats of 500MB/sec moving from one SSD to another. It's not in an enclosed space and idle temp is 21C.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i did a error scan on an ssd to see if slow spots was a thing that also affected ssd's recently and it pushed it to 60c.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah NVME drives can get very warm when used which can lead to the drive not performing to its fullest potential. I remember this one SSD that is a standard SATA that had RGB lighting which is nice and all but it was causing the drive to generate more heat than usual for a SATA SSD which caused the drive's performance to degrade so much that the entire system was in slow mode to the computer locking up.
    This would be perfect for one of them white builds or black and white builds with either that limited edition ASUS Strix 2080 Ti card or the Galax HOF 2080 Ti that is white if aesthetics is something you care about.