Stuttering 5600 xt red devil

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zogran, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    I have had the 5600xt red devil since launch but almodt every game i play has stuttering.
    The fps stays at 60/75 deprnfing on my frame cap but i see IT stuttering/slowing down.

My specs:

I5 3570k at 4,2 GHz
    16 GB coraair vengeance overclocked tot 9-10-9-24 1866mhz
    5600 xt red devil
    Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250 GB for my games
    Intel 520 SSD 120 GB for Windows
    1 TB HDD for my files
    650 w gold xfx power supply

All temps grom cpu and gpu are under 70 c even the hotspot temp .

Anyone got an idea?

Thanks in advance,

T

warlord likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You monitor you clocks/temps/usage while playing? Its helpful to see what happens when stuttering occurs.

Im also sure that 4c/4t cpu isnt gonna cut it in 2020 and its probably pegged at 100% all the time.

3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Try flashing new vbios. 5600XT is a messy launch.

Fox2232 likes this.
  4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    CPU the culprit

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    This particular CPU oc'ed is equal to Ryzen 1500X in everything. This isn't a witch-hunt here, unless you say R5 1500X is also a bottleneck for 5600XT.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    1500x have 8threads, gives it a much more headroom.

7. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    Gpu at 80 - 99 pct
    Cpu around 50 pct all cores with spikes tot 80 pct .
    Cpu temp 60 max
    Gpu hot spot 70 and normale temp 60.
    The only thing i do see is the gpu clock going down pretty agressivly ...from 1800 to 500 and back up.

Monitoring everything with hwinfo combined with rivatuner.

My monitor is a 75 Hz freesynch aoc g2460v

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Navi is an aggressive downclocker. There are various threads about this "feature". Update gpu vbios, motheboard bios and get ensured windows 10 is the latest version updated with gpu drivers.

Maddness likes this.
  9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Turn off freesync. Turn off energy saver on pcie option in power plans.
    Turn off balances power plan use something like high performance anyway

Use displayport cable...

Maddness likes this.
  10. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    I am using the dp cable that came with the monitor.
    Tried all the power optiona already and everything is up to date and both silent and pc bios have been flashed.
    G
    try leaving freesynch off to see if if makes any differenc.

11. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    [​IMG]

Here is everything running for about an hour or do.

Green is the gpu ,Orange cpu and blues ram

12. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
  13. Strijker

Strijker Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060Ti
    Did some googling and mb this helps:
    https://community.amd.com/thread/245420

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Try disabling freesync. And use ati/amd clock patcher. Then reboot and try again. 75hz shouldn't be an issue at all. Never.

15. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Does setting video settings minimally get rid of the issue?
    Does turning down the resolution to 720p help?

Sounds like it's periodically loading a bunch of stuff in and maxing out processor with loading routines caching things into RAM, while still having to feed the game-engine and it's rendering duties to the GPU.
    It's a very dated processor, by technology standards anyways (4c 4t), and lacks some of the newer instruction sets, and hyper-threading too. It's not out for the count yet. Also, 1866mhz ddr3 is 'slow' by today's standards, as memory bandwidth has increased faster than cpu IPC over the years.

If it bothers you build a new system - and yes, there is a difference between what older haswell/ivy bridge / sandy bridge processors can do and what new 300$-and-up processors can do. It's not as much faster per-core / per ghz (IPC) speeds, but the minimum fps (1% lows / 0.1% lows) will be vastly improved.

The Ryzen 1xxx series has much stronger memory bandwidth than ivy bridge does (if I am wrong, someone site a correction).

MSI afterburner will tell you all that is going on with the system. Run the game that's giving you issues, and go ahead and send in a screenshot of the graphs on it (the full screen graphs).
    Have you tried shutting down stuff running in the background?

If it was me I'd pass the machine on to a less fortunate family member with the 120gb SSD and the 1tb HDD, keep your 250gb ssd, and build a new one with discount-bin parts... or get X570 motherboard and 6 core 12thread / 8core 16 thread ryzen chip in it for the latest. All things considered, the AMD 3600 / 3600x / 3700x will get you 98% as far as the 9900k will in gaming unless the game can use all the cores you throw at it.
    I have a hard time recommending intel as the security patches have hurt performance of it's I-can't-believe-it's-not-still-Skylake butter, unless you can wait for 10xxx series. Keep video board and 250gb SSD for your next build - possibly power supply too if it's got the plugs you need on it, and it's not more than 3 years old.

Maybe time for a new one soon me thinks... but that's on you. I think you could get another 12~24 months out of that one if you wanted to.

16. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    Thanks i will try all of your tips&tricks tommorow,currently at work.

As for building a new system i would love to do that trust me but currently to expensive for me.
    I'm gonna keep an eye out for second hand processor/mobo/ram wich we have plenty of here in the Netherlands.
    From what ive looked up i can see that my 3570 k didn't age well :confused:

I did a test with my ram before i legt for work.
    Putting it back to stock 1333 made my fps drop by 20+ , gonna take a closer look tommorow.

Thanks again for the help thusfar!:)

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That.

Anything not 98% ideally 99% GPU load makes the clocks drop.
    HARD.

D3D9 especially often can't hit this and might be CPU limited too (Single threaded API and bottlenecks and such.) but there's a number of D3D11 titles hitting the issue as well, any single time the GPU hits anything less than 99% load well Navi just clocks down and *nothing* can fix this.

Wattman has settings but they seem kinda bad almost to where a single voltage and single boost target speed would be the way to go as the others don't really apply as you can't set a minimum clock it'll just ignore that value entirely and the mid ("game" or normal.) clock is calculated on it's own as a mid-point between the idle and boost speeds but is often not respected either.

Easy enough to test via GPU-Z or Wattman itself I suppose too, GPU dropping to 70 - 80% here often has it below the game/normal clocks so whatever genius energy saving measures are in place are just too aggressive and since GPU usage will fluctuate it's impossible to resolve when anything but 99% will make the GPU hit the target boost clocks. (Sorta, often around 50 Mhz lower and then possibly power limited for the 5700's at least though the power limit slider at 10 - 20% can resolve that.)

Test it if you want but don't expect to fix it unless AMD removes or allows Wattman to remove this little behavior the card has.

EDIT: As to 98% well that's GPU-Z and monitoring for how to show how the really behaves, log it to a file and just check said file later and you should see that 99% and it's up to the boost speed (Maybe -50Mhz or so.) and then at 98% it should lower down clocks and voltage.
    (Even RAM clocks at that.)

Then as it hits 90% or less it starts falling steeply hitting below boost, game clocks, below game clocks, idle and even below idle which is stupid because there's no way the GPU would ever be doing 6 - 30 Mhz or maybe upwards of ~500 Mhz if it detects some light workload but the result is very noticeable stuttering as the framerate takes a steep dive.
    (Might still maintain high framerate of sorts even with it but the switch from what it was at and what it's at now that's going to be noticeable thus stuttering.)

EDIT: Also works the opposite in some cases thus what's called spikes where it exceeds clock speeds or even voltage including the power draw so that's something to consider when testing via Wattman especially undervolting.

AMD's tuned profiles trying to squeeze out extra performance seems especially sensitive, Battlefield 5's a excellent stability tester as a result often demanding more than other titles for stability as I'm reading though I don't have the game myself to confirm that.
    (Witcher 3 and Borderlands 3 seem to be a bit under that but also prone to being very sensitive so if those work well it's likely any changes are at least 99% stable.)

Important but less so for this issue here which I presume is simply the GPU usage dropping and as a result the GPU simply clocks down because that's apparently a really good idea.
    (These energy measures really should be user controllable but AMD barely acknowledges them tuning the behavior somewhat in a earlier driver but yeah it didn't really do much.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For my own GPU and testing the target boost clock is 1950 Mhz effectively 1900 due to the -50 this is hit only when the GPU is at 99% load and requires an additional 10% power limit minimum or it'll be in the mid 1800's instead.
    98% load results in 1800 - 1850 Mhz and the lowest I recorded for Division 2 which was used to test this was a dip to 70% load hitting clock speeds of 1300 Mhz. (Game/Normal clocks the way I've set it up targets 1425 Mhz.)

Different games might behave a bit differently or be better at maintaining the GPU load, DXVK by simply "wrapping" or converting (Of sorts.) D3D9 to D3D11 into Vulkan has given excellent results also though it is a workaround and not without issues, not even intended for Windows at all.
    Which just confirms how ineffective these measures are and how troublesome they are. :)

D3D9 to D3D11 wrapped into Vulkan thus CPU overhead and a expected performance penalty around upwards of 20%
    Instead framerate *improves* and stuttering is mostly removed which well that's not how it's supposed to be at all but just how problematic the downclocking issue is.
    (Alternatively while not perfect using AMD VSR and forcing a higher resolution can also force a higher GPU load thus better performance in a situation where it really shouldn't be possible.)

EDIT: Sekiro DXVK test.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ek9zvd/potential_fix_for_sekiros_performance_issues_with/

Shouldn't happen especially gains like that but it does and that's incredibly problematic because something is very wrong here.

https://preview.redd.it/27fi67diyw8...bp&s=5b7c0ce432bb6f9c511ae9313991557b21e087b4

https://preview.redd.it/fe9qw6diyw8...bp&s=72c70be7c7a77818fe7879899de7685ab87d0ab9

51 to 73 FPS.

A near 45% improvement though I kinda suck at math but that's what I get it to.
    (Operating properly this little overhead and limits added should *cost* 10 - 20% performance.)

Doesn't always work, doesn't always give those results but it works really well when it does even if the gains maybe aren't that high or you get a slight drop but it reduces the throttling and thus there's no stutter.
    (And this needs to be fixed much as the black screen problems are a priority the performance simply not being there is kinda very important too.)

EDIT: Also that's with a Polaris GPU but it applies to Vega and Navi too with the benefit that on Navi cards it kinda stops the GPU downclocking which for Polaris and Vega unless Adrenaline 2020 changed it users could lock a P state as the minimum and stop throttling this way though it doesn't apply to Navi since it doesn't really have P states more like a min and max value and a mid between these two.

But min is ignored and mid is basically just there though it is possible to somewhat balance voltage scaling I suppose between min, mid and max/boost and of course boost clocks much as that works under these conditions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  19. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    That ons big wall of text but an informative one .
    Been on guru3d since the omega driver era almost every day but never knew the forum was so alive:oops:

I hope one of these things at least improves my issues so i can extend my pc's life a little.

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it's a bit hard to describe it but short of it would be how the GPU is no longer using these former P1 to P7 power/performance states and instead the clock speeds go more freely from min to max but Wattman doesn't quite work(?) or react as assumed and with the way the card itself only seemingly hits the boost clocks near max GPU load things happen when the GPU is at anything less. :)

Which is quite often both due to the drivers but also game specific or software specific causes.
    Hard to resolve for the end user as a result but hopefully AMD improves on how it works assuming that's what this is but I don't think anything's changed with the 5600 and the issue has been there since the 5700 was released with not much from AMD in response to questions on why this happens or how to avoid it. (One of the earlier drivers had something about D3D9 improvements but it didn't really affect much and clocks still quickly drop down from how the GPU is scaling performance in response to overall GPU load.)