Star Trek Picard

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Clawedge, Aug 5, 2018.

1. So if you are a geezer like me. Love TOS, like TNG, tolerate DS9 and Voyager, and hate all the newer stuff and movie reboots.....is this worth watching? Keep in mind i hate everything new that isn't computer parts and am an old man that tells kids to get off my lawn.

386SX likes this.
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Hard to tell just now, it has that same weird shimmer film effect that just about every new Trek from the films through to Discovery has, it's hard to describe exactly what it is but for some reason it's something that Trek just has now. It's far to early to really say if it's going to be worth it, as I have said before almost every first season of every Trek in history has been ropey and taken a good season or two to find it's feet but from what I've seen it hasn;t done anything that I would call openly offensive to either Picard and his backstory or Trek in general and for the most part it seems to have much better received than Discovery was, although I suspect that Jean Luc Picard being the main focal character has helped a lot in that regard.

TOS and TNG both had story of the week formats with very little in the way of season long or over arcing narratives. I am guessing Picard will be sticking to the season long episode by episode pushing the story forward motif with very little room for single story of the week episodes. Which means it has the potential to fall in to the same trap as Discovery i.e if the over arcing story doesn't interest you then you're pretty much out for the entire season.

3. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    [​IMG]

:D

Deleted member 271771 likes this.
  4. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    It isn't Star Trek, so you'll probably find it infuriating.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, you will utterly despise this more than:

The futuristic PDF in Enterprise that solved whatever writers block infected the writing team that week.
    The red blood of Klingons in Discovery.
    The 'frack it' logic of Jar Jar Abrahams, intent on destroying canon.
    SJW's
    People who talk at the movies.
    Kilts.
    Jump-cutting in YouTube videos because people assume their illogical non-point will not seem as bad if they keep. changing. the. camera. just. like. this. because. they. think. people. are. stupid.
    Anti-static tracks for cars.
    AWP noobs.
    CoD.
    Dentist bills when your teeth are fine and you've been in the chair for 30 seconds, and they talk about their new boat.
    gold-diggers.
    People who say Golf is not a sport.
    Rap music that is not poetic. Just because it rhymes, does not mean it's poetry.
    PC DOS
    Netscape Navigator
    Queues
    Pigeons
    Forced social commentary.

It is a bigger list than this, but one of the ways you know these muppets have no clue as to what ST is about and, by proxy who Picard is: they have a newsreader turn up to his house to do an interview, and, guess what the name of this organisation actually is?

FNN

Oh, you can tell the writers have no concept of a future where:

Money does not exist
    War and famine do not exist
    Disease and hunger do not exist

and

Everyone has access to a holodeck...

Y'see, you add all of these together and you have got absolutely no need to ask anyone difficult questions in a faux-news setting, as you do not care about numbers of viewers...

Their lack of imagination is...probably the biggest problem you will have of this.

They have turned ST into an episode of CSI, written by less talented people.

/THREAD

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Im the same and other than the glorious Ent-D shot in the intro, if you removed picard and that, you'd not know it was star trek at all.

7. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Other than the mentions of

Starfleet
    The Federation
    Data
    Romulans
    Utopia Plantia

and having a massive freaking Borg Cube in the final shot, yeah no clues at all to it being Star Trek.

scatman839 likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its startrek but the arc of say deep space nine that is told in the background is the forefront story of picard.

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Data yes, but the rest are simply not as we once knew them.

10. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    "Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life here!" :p

Tiny_Clanger likes this.

11. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    :D

12. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It's almost like twenty years have passed

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i know bro, if you saw in what context i was answering it, you'd understand what im saying.

14. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Because watching whole minutes of poorly choreographed rooftop kung fu is really refreshing in 2020, you mean...

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Especially when all one would need to do is be in orbit and teleport them into a cage...whoops - I forgot these writers have never watched Star Trek before and came from CSI Miami

insp1re2600 likes this.

16. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    No idea WTH they were trying to accomplish to begin with...

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    They had these very same discontinuities in the original series, which I watched in real time growing up. I still do not get the absolute SJW rage you have over a TV show. If one of my kids was as invested as you are, at your age, I would think seriously about therapy. As you know, I've participated in this thread for awhile...you've established your fweelings on the matter. No hard feelings man, it's just funny as hell.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You could say it took them a long Trek,
    (•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
    getting from there to here....
    YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Lol

Loobyluggs likes this.
  19. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I know I was being facetious. I am going to sit back and give it till the end of the first season before I pass judgement.

I will however leave this here, not because I agree with his review but because I just like his content

XP-200 and Repo Man like this.
  20. I haven't laughed so hard in such a long time "diverse female character" "yes I can definitely smell shiite"

[​IMG]