Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Thanks! Yeah, MSI seems to benefit a lot on all tasks, no idea why nVidia does not set this to Default on their GPU's. I know some have it, but only certain products.

2. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    From what ive read on another post only Quadro's have it enabled by default,but no idea if this is true or not.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nvidia are still maintaining support for the Nforce 4-6 PCIE controllers and these have issues with message signalled interrupts, there were also some SiS and VIA controllers that couldn't use it, and i think a AMD SB chipset but can't remember which specifically.

Theres a way to include both methods in the downloaded package, since the binary components of a "DisplayDriver.MSI", and "DisplayDriver.Legacy" would lzma quite well, the only size difference would be a few bytes at most due to the MSI folder infs having MSI set and a signed catalog respective to that difference.

Nvidia are already fighting with multiple driver batches though, Standard, DCH, Studio, GRD

Inclusion of MSI's would triple the work

4. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

Would you recommend enabling MSI for all hardware shown or only for GPU ? I actully recently came across this,still trying to understand it all.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    some components cannot be set to msi (UHCI/EHCI), XHCI typically defaults it, HD Audio is MSI capable (excluding XFI's in HDA mode), SATA drivers (IRST 11.2 and lower NOT)

MSAHCI cannot, Storahci can.
    Just about all ethernet drivers can be.

6. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    What? Those are ~14 years old and all nForce is Legacy (the latest Nforce 9 driver is from 2011 and for Windows 7). It's similar for graphics cards of similar age (Geforce 8 cards didn't receive drivers since 2016).

Why would you duplicate any binaries? The setup.exe could automatically decide to enable MSI (or rather disable it on some legacy platforms from default-enabled state). Full duplication of the entire driver set would be insane (even if compressed/deduplicated at archive level).

You mean fighting the sanity of users, may be...

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    And yet people still seek to install modern cards on them (though sucks for them, Turing can't run on Gen 1.x)

simplest way to run the setup against either, you submit the full driver package for signing on the driver portal anyway so no point doing anything fancy like copying the inf and cats to the display.driver replacing the legacy ones, its all batch automated packaging so you'd just add a setup option for msi's, rename the existing to legacy and point them to the new folder packages.

8. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Thanks for that,i just leave it enabled on my gpu only from now on.

9. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    AMD 6800
  10. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

Yeah no i dont mind a small performance hit for more security.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    How can you tell which game benefit with ISLC disabled? Metro: Exodus also seemed to stutter a lot on my end, no idea why really. The tool was active when I played the game.

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Do you use the ISLC with these exploit protections disabled or do you keep active?

13. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    AMD 6800
    Security aside, we are all trying to fix stuttering in games. The stuttering issues seem to be a memory management problem and these exploit protections mess with how the memory works for games. My stuttering is gone with the exploit protections off. There isn't any extra FPS but the frametimes are always more consistent. Applications like ISLC are band aids to the memory management problem.
    The new Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling feature on Win 10 2004 puts the video memory management on the GPU which probably helps the issue a bit and may make turning off the exploit protections obsolete.

Smough and Kolt like this.
  14. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Metro doesn't run well on my 1070ti either, it just might be that it doesn't like Pascal. There are stutters even if I move it to NVMe and use low settings, even at 100fps+. Hairworks tends to aggravate the situation. Clearing the cache doesn't impact all games. Some do fine without it even on 16GB RAM.

15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    So are most issues fixed on Windows 10 2004? I really hope some day ISLC is not needed anymore.

16. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    AMD 6800
    Feels the same as 1909 to me but I've been running with all exploit protections off since 1903

Do you have ray tracing switched off?

17. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Yup. As I said, there's stutter at 100+ fps too, and if I turn on the DXR illumination thing fps plummets to 20s at 1080p, as expected from a card without RT cores.

Smough likes this.
  18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Do you still use ISLC or have you decided to stop using it?

19. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    AMD 6800
    Once I was happy with how games were performing I removed ISLC. Only because I disable every service that I or Windows doesn't really need or I would have let it be.

20. Gazza0101

Gazza0101 Guest

GPU:
    amd radeon r9 380
    Hi Guys

New here, but would like to share my experience with the windows 10 stutter, low frame rate.

My 1 and only Game I play is World of Warships, usually Asia as best ping as i live in Australia.
    Anyway after upgrading to Windows10 from my win7 I started to get Stuttering and and frame rate dropped fro 66-76 right down to 18-22 when the action started, it was totally unplayable, So me being a total noob i googled how to overclock my 17 cpu in the bios, and i stuffed that up big time, as pc would not even start !

So googled how to fix, This might help others.

I turned off and unplugged pc, took out Graphics card, and also the Bios Battery !, waited 1 minute, when put back in and turned on , it set everything back to basic settings

re connected Graphics card, and booted up .....perfect !

Game plays great , frame rate back up to 66-76 all the time. No stutter at all, even with heaps going on in game.

So either both helped or 1 helped, might just have been put back in Graphics card, but either way it worked.
    just my 2 cents,

Regards