55% of gamers own an Nvidia GPU and 27% of them have an RTX model says JPR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 19, 2020.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Both those consoles will use AMD video cards, so it won't exactly be Nvidia's implementation of raytracing / RTX.

And.... yeah.. this is way off topic for the thread, it's about of percentages of Nvidia RTX cards vs Nvidia Non-RTX cards sold.

2. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    well i own an Gtx 1070 but i will get a big navi 5800 or 5900 i will wait and se how prices are but surely it will be a better price value and performance.
    so iam going with amd.

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Steam is Nothing lol?! Everyone and there Mother is using Steam across the entire Globe yet this guy says Steam is nothing lol.

Why is it wherever you go there's always one of these people in the crowd?! Every game reviewer or product tester has the steam service and uses it, But I said Steam is Nothing!!! I test my games using Windows store and epic cause I wanna be that one guy who stands out from the crowd I wanna be different! AH.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah, I don't get this either. Also, there's an over emphasis on Intel igpu and their impact on the numbers, however, no-one is saying how many of those are in business machines that won't be gaming. Company I work for has just upgraded to W10 and bought a load of new systems and laptops, all Intel as far as I'm aware (I get to use them as well). So, are we seriously going to count those igpu as gaming systems? No, we won't because they wouldn't even be part of most gaming/gamer stats in the first place, which brings me onto....

Counting every single sale and using that to define market-share is completely different to the gaming market-share.

This thread is specifically talking about gamers gpu market-share, but, I've already made that point.

Whether the actual percentage is 55% (this report) or 80% (steam), it's clear Nvidia is still leading the gaming market-share.

And for all you AMD users who are arguing the survey is opt-in (optional) and thus inaccurate, well, do your bit for your side then, simple as that.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Did physx have a massive performance penalty when it was established? More or less, if I recall correctly.
    But widespread adoption could help ray tracing to have the hardware (and software) built for it, even more so if AMD catches up to the DXR state in their cards. Over time, performance penalties will decline, and that's what probably makes the gimmick legit again.

Don't get me wrong, I am far from sold on current ray tracing, but if at one point the penalty on performance is negliable, why not like it? My main issue with dx12 as it is right now is, that it lacks any graphical fidelity added, besides DXR which takes a big toll. If it wouldn't, I'd appreciate better graphics non the less.

bernek likes this.
  6. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I can't say you made your point but you were very early in the ATI Radeon world and didn't talk anything about Vega56/64 cards and current ones. I agree AMD had some issues at first but that was until R9 series maybe earlier. I started myself with an Radeon 7000 back in those days and the switched from Nvidia to ATI then AMD each year. I still remember the x1600 cards were decent so were the R9 270X 280X and so on. Even 380X was good. It quite hard to compare all this history wars between these two companies.

Still nvidia had an edge over AMD/Ati most of the times ... even if it was software or hardware it was there. AMD will catch up maybe and will be better for us all (prices).

L.E. I had an 4870 and 4890 and were great cards for me (completly forgot about those).

7. Sturmx

Sturmx New Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    I'm sorry. AMD's Tracing Rays rofl.. as far as off topic many posts above mine mentioned ray tracing as a failure. Good job.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's not a failure, but it certainly isn't something huge, from what I can see it's due to the prices for a cards that supports it, just crazy prices.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Similar with us. Everyone except those who request developer type of notebooks get intel based ultrabooks. Dev. notebooks are based on Ryzen APUs + 32GB of RAM and larger M.2 storage.
    (Would love to have Lenovo Yoga with Ryzen APU+Navi iGPU as my next device. I wonder if it will be available in a year or so.)

Stormyandcold likes this.
  10. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'd argue that it IS huge. It's really the only new topic that console gamers have been talking about in youtube land. They've been watching it develop on PC and are fully anticipating that it'll be a feature in their next-gen consoles. Meanwhile, the PC gaming crowd are excited to see what it could do for PC graphics, while being fully aware of the painful prices to achieve that kind of fidelity.

The most interesting thing for me is how this will play out regarding PC ports. Will the devs choose a general/in-engine RT method, or utilise RTX when they can? I honestly think that games like Fifa and the method they choose for such a game will signal which method won out. However, they could also have some form of RT for the next-gen console versions and nothing in the PC port (wouldn't be the first time PC version was left behind). Potentially a similar situation to PC HDR support; when there's two competing standards with no clear winner, the industry in general chose to support neither of them.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I can absolutely see raytracing becoming a standard used in most video games in the future, but currently it is not so I can't say it is currently a Huge feature every single video game is using because that is not the case, the cards capable of RTX are simply too expensive for the average gamer, with future generations of cards that are cheaper and more capable then it will be Huge.

Maybe AMD's implementation will be similar to Nvidia's? so a dev could just pick the best choice to get the most out of the hardware... *shrugs*

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    All they need to do is base it on DXR. Then it works on AMD and Nvidia all the same... right? And consoles should be even easier to port if it's somehow doable to convert what happens on those AMD APUs to DXR frameworks... right?

13. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Being as DXR belongs to microsoft the next xbox will use it.

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I would've thought that that'd be the way it works. However, statements from EA Dice regarding RTX in Battlefield V made me think otherwise, and that it's more complicated than this (due to the lack of an AMD equivalent).