AMD CEO: Big Navi is coming this year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 19, 2020.

1. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    AMD cards will have specific memory related "chip" to ray tracing.

2. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    This so-called "big Navi" needs to be released sooner rather than later. It would be nice to see AMD take the fastest crown for a while but does anyone here really see it being competitive with Ampere? Having a faster Navi part would be useful in driving down the prices of the high end Turin parts, not to mention giving AMD fans something to purchase at the high end but surely it won't compete with something like a 3080ti? If that did happen everyone's (apart from Nvidia) a winner.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Navtastic!

OnnA likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no they won't.

5. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Who needs HDMI and VRR in a computer monitor? DisplayPort 1.2 was capable of 4K 60 Hz and FreeSync like 10 years ago, and Displayport 1.3 from 5 years ago is capable of 4K 120 Hz. Which recent GPU can provide these frame rates in games?

Whatever. I'll take my DisplayPort 1.4 and FreeSync HDR, thank you.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    OnnA and Evildead666 like this.
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Can not believe people are still this garbage. 2010 called fanboy, your behind the times.

Evildead666 likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no he isn't.

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The 5000 series has driver problems and AMD are doing their best to fix those problems. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging this.

Lot's of people are looking at the 5700XT, but, won't pull the trigger until things are fixed. That's just the way it is. It's still a great line of products. No-one is saying otherwise.

Maddness likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Agreed, though I won't buy one I was looking forward to the architecture's improvements and await how Big Navi will do things in comparison knowing that Navi was a stop-gap between GCN and the full design.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'd have no problem getting one, but, I'm old and I don't have much time to be a beta tester these days with work and family etc. Win10 insider is enough to deal with. Definitely looking forward to the big Navi.

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    They're launching these GPU's too late, NVidia will be launching 7nm 3xxx series sometime this year, and NVidia's GPUs are gonna be blowing "big NAVI" out of the water considering that AMD have not been able to compete in performance with NVidia even though AMD are already on 7nm - when NVidia get on 7nm with 3xxx series they're gonna blow "big NAVI" to kingdom come...won't be so big anymore! AMD should have launched "big NAVI" last year.

12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    AMD should learn from Nvidia in some aspects. Nvidia had gsync closed ecosystem and in one year they became 3 times more supportive than Radeon ever was.

13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I think 7nm was still to new to launch a 500mm Navi chip last year. Yields would have probably been bad and it would almost certainly cost close to what Turing prices are. It was better to wait for the process to mature and yields to increase.

Robbo9999 and OnnA like this.
  14. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    I doubt it will be faster then a 2080ti. So to little to late for High-End gaming.

15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    U mad bro? Of course it will be faster than 2080ti, easily. Like 3080 will also be faster than 2080ti, what do you think 2080ti is?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Am i asleep?

Evildead666 likes this.
  17. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    No, not mad. real. AMD can't fight nvidia on high-end segment. Its clear for years. Don't know why are you so shocked.
    2080ti will still be king even after their big navi chips, you will see.
    As far as 3080 beating 2080ti, i again don't think so. It will be at the same performance, most likely.
    peace \/

18. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Because they wanted CES to be about laptops, and 5600XT.
    Plus, Nvidia new cards are just scheduled for maybe GDC. Maybe they're reserving a tease for GDC?
    I doubt big Navi will come before Computex.

19. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I agree, I could see AMD maybe talking about Big navi at GDC, but they could also talk about the Xbox/PS5 chips as well, and still get the info across, without giving much about big Navi away.
    In fact it will all be probably about Xbox and PS5.

Maybe a Computex release, in June. We could all be pleasantly surprised to have a real, non-paper launch there ? :)
    It would be shocking to actually have a launch, and for there to be stock in shops, on the day.
    (Not much in the way of stock mind you, it will probably be quite expensive)
    Only 4 and a bit months to wait ;)

Silva likes this.
  20. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yes, good point...I suppose my point still stands that we're likely to expect 3xxx to blow big Navi out of the water anyway.