[Solved]What is wrong with NV drivers? DPC Latency

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by X7007, Jan 11, 2020.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I found intel table what each setting does, so that said low or minimal should be ideal when gaming, I've set it to Low now.

It also smoothened out Desitny2 level loading transitions. Medium was still not quite it, this is with fastsync on, I hated vsync laggs and switched back to FastSync lol :D

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...005593/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Btw, did you fix your nvidia issue? Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.. :)

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    he said he did, it occured when he was loading 100+ chrome tabs.

3. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Interesting. And it was set to 'Adaptive' beforehand? And how was performance then?

I may look at tweaking this too for multiplayer fps games.

4. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    In one instance, the experience was smooth but FPS was only 50~60% what the system should have. The user assumed an upgrade was in order until I mentioned that with a considerably worse system than he, I was getting better average FPS. After some time in Latency Monitor, and seeing 1000+ on latency at the time (vs a few hundred max which is okay), using DDU to eradicate and then reinstalling nvidia drivers figuratively 'doubled' his performance.
    From a 'smooth' 40~45fps to better 80~85fps.
    So yes, they're pointless if you don't have an issue, or don't realize you have an issue (many systems don't). However, when you DO have an issue they are priceless. If it's consistent lag from first time you install the driver on a new system, then you'll never know what you're missing.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Performance is the same, it just eliminated some of the obvious hitching. Not completely, but now it's a lot smoother. :)

6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Not to mention, some people actually open them and start doing stuff on their computer, then freak out when the bar jump a bit high, as if delay wasn't something could happen in a computer. Who would have guessed?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. Rrekt

Rrekt Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 SLI
    OP are you using a PCI-E extender by any chance? I had this occur with the same .sys file when i damaged the pcie- extender.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    he opened 100 chrome tabs at once.

9. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    No, btw I've found what is causing the issue. I have a Mallenox Network card which has some crazy settings in the registry. I've added 1 registry that is causing this issue. after first uninstalling the driver to see if it's still happening, it did not. then I've added one registry at a time. now I have perfect DPC.

I also Disable Netbios in Network settings, it can cause weird Latency/DPC issues.

Using the motherboard PCIE x16 Gen 3. X399 Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7

I can almost do anything and it doesn't budge like before.

Doesn't matter if I open chrome with 100 tabs. it never happened, and after the fix, I did it still doesn't happen.

I can open Chrome and COD MW 2019 and it wouldn't budge, there shouldn't be any jumps if all drivers are working fine and there is nothing that is broken on hardware level. Also Bios settings and Voltages/Power Saving/Mem Timing/CPU options. the only thing I did actually cause that.

If you interested to know what I changed you might have insight into it. (It's on the spoiler)

https://docs.mellanox.com/display/winof2/Ethernet+Network
    https://docs.mellanox.com/display/w...nfiguringtheDriverRegistryKeys-FindingRegKeys

Also, I've added, but it did not give any issue on its own.

Threaded DPC
    A threaded DPC is a DPC that the system executes at IRQL = PASSIVE_LEVEL. An ordinary DPC preempts the execution of all threads, and cannot be preempted by a thread or by another DPC. If the system has a large number of ordinary DPCs queued, or if one of those DPCs runs for a long period time, every thread will remain paused for an arbitrarily long period of time. Thus, each ordinary DPC increases the system latency, which can damage the performance of time-sensitive applications, such as audio or video playback.

Conversely, a threaded DPC can be preempted by an ordinary DPC, but not by other threads. Therefore, the user should use threaded DPCs rather than ordinary DPCs, unless a particular DPC must not be preempted, even by another DPC.

For more information, please refer to Introduction to Threaded DPCs.

ThreadedDpcEnable

DWORD

• 0 - Disabled
      • 1 - Enabled
    Enabling Threaded DPC. See Threaded DPC.

First I added this because it does not exist on default. I gave it 1 which actually causing this issue. (1 setting for some reason takes high cpu usage 30% all the time, might because how it polling the data and not threading it.

Number 2 doesn't cause the issue. (2 seems to doesn't cause issues if I give it more RfdReservationFactor. Default 150 is not enough. what it does it Reserving actual RAM so like instead I have 5.5Gb it would be 7.9GB used depend on the number I use.
    But this would cause issues if I don't have enough RAM reserved set because it would cause high DPC.

Packet Burst Handling
    This feature allows packet burst handling, while avoiding packet drops that may occur when a large amount of packets is sent in a short period of time. For the feature’s registry keys, see section Performance Registry Keys.

By default, the feature is disabled, and the AsyncReceiveIndicate registry key is set to 0. To enable the feature, choose one of the following options:

• To enable packet burst buffering using threaded DPC (recommended), set the AsyncReceiveIndicate registry key to 1.
    • To enable packet burst buffering using polling, set the AsyncReceiveIndicate to 2.
    To control the number of reserved receive packets, set the RfdReservationFactor registry key:

Recommended

Maximum

I will keep checking I might just not use this packet burst option
    '[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Astyanax likes this.
  10. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Mellanox driver installers (when manually downloaded from the Mellanox site) used to ask something about running some kind of network throughput/(latency?) related system optimizations. I never liked how vague that question was (especially how this is supposed to be server grade stuff) but I never cared to open the scrip and see what's inside. But then again, I only use my ConnectX-2 for P2P home networking, not nearly at edge capacity, so I wouldn't care (it's still a lot faster than regular 1 or 2.5 Gbe).

11. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    For those who don't know, your microsoft OS can corrupt over time and cause extra hard page faults, sometimes to the extent it can't be repaired and you need a fresh install. I know because I've run into it a few times.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Garbage.

Smough, SyntaX, warlord and 1 other person like this.
  13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    DPC is overrated. Like those playing with timers or any other tweaking. Whoever gets bored, does wondrous ****.

Smough likes this.
  14. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    What, prey tell, is garbage? Windows OS? Lmao

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Time doesn't magically corrupt an OS. "Code rot" purely from time has been thoroughly debunked. There is always a logical, and fixable, reason for loss in performance.

16. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    After reading this i decided to check my system.
    No issues here, im still using 441.87

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    people have really consumed that "registry gets slow" crap.

18. Marctraider

Marctraider Member

GPU:
    670GTX
    Seems to be fine?

https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?attachments/latmon-png.2751/

Only times I see Nvidia spike (Still below <1ms) is when opening stuff with hardware acceleration, like chromium apps, discord, firefox, steam, just disable HW accel in those, but really shouldnt be problematic after they started up.. Seems like that is pretty normal.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hi, so to be clear you had high latency pointing to NV driver in Latencymon but resolved it with tweaking network adapter?

Asking because I've recently had insane latency spikes very like one in OP screenshot.

Using integrated Intel Gigabit controller.

EDIT: set Interrupt Moderation Rate to Low (from Adaptive) and so far so good. Though now that NV driver isn't the "hog" anymore I seem to get relatively high DPC routine execution with Windows Kernel...

still green though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  20. Andre Souza

Andre Souza Guest

GPU:
    Newbie question: What happens when there is too much interrupt calls? High CPU usage or a queue with delayed interrupt processing? If this is a queue, what happens when there is a bufferbloat?