Epic Games Store has more than 100M users

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Epic's  PC game store, the Epic Game Storereached over 100 million customers. The company credits the success in part on its strategy of giving away games each week, and it says that it will continu...

Epic Games Store has more than 100M users

Thunk_It and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Long live the epic. :D

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So the average account spends $6.30 on the store.
    $680 million spent on games with an average of $50 still means they sold 13,6 million copies, right?
    So... 108 million accounts that buy 13,6 million copies?
    Which could mean, that something around 13% of accounts bought a single game (or less % of accounts who bought more than one game), the other 87% of accounts did not, and are in for the free games only?

Of course this is just messing around with numbers, faulty thinking, ignoring any micro transactions for Fortnite, people who buy more than one game per account, claim more than two free games per account, etc. etc.
    But very interesting statistics.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    single game was definitely borderlands 3

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    I had the launcher to play UT and now they give me free games. I won't buy from them. Steam is where I play and nothing new interests me.

6. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Indeed. Haven't bought anything so far...got a sh!tload of free games, though. But Steam and GoG had the games I actually wanted (and on sale) last month.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    My stats:

GPU bundle games : 3 (Control, World War Z, Borderlands 3)
    Free games : 1 (Yooka Laylee)
    Games bought : 1 (Detroit : Become Human)

These 108m users must include all Fortnie users right? If yes then this number isn't as impressive as it looks.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    When 108m people play your game its impressive nevertheless.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Certainly true. Still not everybody has Fortnite I jest, but 100m, yeah that sounds reasonable. Although, it's hard to tell how many Chinese people play MMOs we never heard of outside of that country, how many people play Clash Royale or stuff like that... Candy Crush certainly has 100 million downloads...

10. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    So far iv 16 free games from them, haven't bought any yet
    i wont just add any free game to my account, a lot of there games so far have been 8 and 16 bit looking and im not a fan of new games being made like that at all, il play my mega drive games as i grew up with them

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    You need that 'killer app' for people to install your launcher for sure, and I had to think hard about what the other launchers have got as killer apps over time.

I think it goes something like this:

Steam = Half Life (2003)
    Battlenet = Diablo (1997)
    Uplay = Assassins Creed? No idea...maybe Ghost Recon? No idea which year Uplay launched, couldn't find anything conclusive.
    GOG = The Witcher Series (2008?)
    Bethesda dot net = Skyrim (2010?)
    Rockstar Social Club = GTA IV (2008?)

And, on topic:

Epic Launcher = Unreal Engine 4 (2014 - official, non-beta/non-sub)
    Epic Games Launcher = Fortnite (2019 - final)

The years given are the year the launcher/app was made available, or the year the game was available through digital download.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

G*addict, Hypernaut, BetA and 5 others like this.
  13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well HL1 did not require steam per se, since it didn't exist at that time, but HL2 was the game that made steam mandatory for me.
    Diablo 1 and 2 worked without the launcher, same as Starcraft 1, but iirc WoW was the thing where battlenet really took off, and all the subsequent games (Hearthstone, SC2, WC3...).
    Uplay was a bit special since not every game needed it (Anno didn't need it until Anno 2070 iirc), AC 1 and 2 did not, etc.
    Witcher games still don't need the GOG launcher... CDPR games don't need the GOG launcher iirc?
    Skyrim didn't need Beth launcher, but I believe Elder Scrolls Online does, as well as Fallout online
    GTA4 only required you to have an account, but it didn't need the Rockstar Social club to launch. 5 does though.
    Fortnite ofc needs EGlauncher... but the latest iteration of UT (before Fortnite) already did too

To add to it, I believe ME3 was the first to need Origin of it's series, like BF3 (BF4 for sure) needed it when launching etc.

But you are right ofc, you have a killer app, that's when you can push launchers onto people. At one point or the other, thus, it's a given that they will start to force their own launchers, and eventually with that, their own stores onto you, since all the launchers you mentioned to support buying the games directly at the publisher... like many of the EGS "exclusive deals" still are available at their own publisher's exclusive launcher (like Anno 1800 is on uplay too for instance).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  14. Lcc

Lcc Guest

GPU:
    RIVA TNT 2 32mb
    :D

15. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Hades sold on Steam more in a single month, than it did during entire year on EGS. But game and tech media just loves to praise EGS and trust Epic/Tenscent propaganda without raising a single question.

Someone extrapolated actual units sold on EGS, with exception of BL3, these numbers are either unimpressive or down right terrible for The Outer Worlds and Control.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Of course, but the piece of news reflected EGS as a digital store which is why I mentioned that.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wow... that's actually quite ridiculous... I mean BL3, 2 million copies seems legit, WWZ as a not really AAA game with 1 million seems good too.
    But sub 1 million for Metro... Control with not even quarter a million... not that the devs would loose much money (they're getting paid via exclusivity deals), but the sales numbers if true really do seem low.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    73 free games ?? crap , ive missed some

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The news says "$251 million spent on third-party games in the Epic Game Store", does that mean actually games besides Fortnite ? If so, that's just terrible, especially since people spent far more on cosmetics (I assume) in Fortnite than in on anything else in the store. Same for 100M users, if it includes Fortnite players then the number is meaningless.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It was more that the killer app existed on the platform, rather than whether it operated or was a prerequisite.

Multiplayer on GTAIV did require social club, and Windows Live, before you could link up and play the game together with a few friends, hell, I even had that game on a LAN at a friends house. Happy days tripping over cables :)