Are you still on Windows 7? Upgrade to Windows 10 today as it is still free

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 13, 2020.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's perfect in every way.. haha//

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

the way i disabled the updates, it only prevents WU from downloading them during windows update checks, the device manager can still search windows update.

3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    they cant steal my data when my rig is offline (only go online when i need to), most things cortana/search etc are turned off,
    and i used o&o shutup/blackbird/sanitysetup/win10privacy/SB antibeacon, so google/fb will spread more of my data/personal info, than 10 ever will.

i should have said for ppl like "avg joe", which is the target group for that kind of news.
    not those that can clone os drives/inject drivers etc.
    thats also why i said you "cant" do those things with 7, as +80% of users wont know how to do those work arounds,
    or that you cant get x570 drivers that i can install on 7, and the BSODs i got with 7 i didnt have on 10, so HW wasnt the cause.

i like 7, and didnt care for 10 because of gui looking like its "win 3.1", but after someone helped me changing things with classic shell,
    so i dont really mind 10 anymore (outside that win now has stuff like "settings" vs using control panel only).

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Fixed Windows 10 on all my PCs years ago, and it seemed to be faster even on my oldest PCs. It has also by far had the best support out of the box, the only driver I did have to fix myself was installing the Win8.1 driver for a Geforce 6 series GPU.

I also don't like telemetry but it's always frustrated me seeing the same people complain about it on Win10, unquestionably still use Android phones and the play store apps for everything.

Microsoft has made DX12 possible on Win7 but it's on a game-by-game basis. Existing DX12 games would need to be patched. They also say performance isn't as good as in Windows 10, which sounds similar to how Vulkan is supposed to also be better in Windows 10.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    again, out of the box use of 7+dx12 without any "additional" work past installing driver/games, no.
    i see it like sli/cf. yes i can gain perf but its not 100% and you (sometimes) have to live with micro stutter/frame pacing issues etc,
    so not something that +80% of users will deal with (or even know how to).

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Ha ha, that was actually my first thought when I heard about the telemetry stuff. "Oh, so Windows is now like Android and other modern OSes which track user activity." It was kind of surreal to see all the backlash against Windows 10, especially since user privacy was never a highlight of Windows before - let's face it, the only reason we use Windows is because most PC games require it.

In general, I think those who cling to Windows 7 do so for the same reason that XP users clung on for so long - familiarity. People generally don't like change, and especially don't like being forced into it. Telemetry was a convenient excuse to avoid changing (even if it was ultimately inevitable).

fry178 likes this.
  7. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    If people don't like the "telemetry" now just wait until they begin forcing everyone on the DCH drivers, they contain surveillance-level amounts of "telemetry" that you can't turn off because of how it's packaged with UWP, Intel is already trying to force these drivers with newer hardware.

But in the end it has nothing to do with "change" and everything to do with `forced updates that are specifically designed to bring unwanted and unwarranted change to the os at microsofts discretion, privacy issues and bloatware/adware being forced on users.

Tiny_Clanger likes this.
  8. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Im on a few more technical sites than this and Winaero stuff is safe to use and there are no bad reports. dont forget our own @mbk1969 is russian, a good bloke with some great stuff. :)

mbk1969 likes this.
  9. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I am on WIN10, because I kind of have to be simply because the sabotage of WIN7 makes it a PITA to use/update for my Ryzen 5 2600, and nearly impossible on my Ryzen 3 2200g. That said, I had some time and decided to install Windows 7 one last time for kicks on the 2600. Here are my thoughts on it.

1. I added the USB 3 support and the 2016(?) Convenience rollup to my ISO first and that was no problem at all.
    2. Everything installed fine but Windows Updates were simply blocked, completely. It pops up a new window about the hardware being intended for newer Windows and refuses to even check for updates at all, full stop. This is utter bull$***. Straight up sabotage.
    3. So I got all the updates via alternate method (a current update pack) and it was WAY faster than the usual Windows Update method anyway.

Windows 7 is so...glorious to use compared to 10. Just SO MUCH less tweaking and disabling things and removing junk. Everything about it was much faster than Windows 10. All the parts like Event Viewer, Computer Management, etc just pop up and populate instantly where on 10 they are sluggish and even hang for a while at times. Windows 7 boots much faster than Windows 10...I have no idea where people get the idea 10 boots faster. I assume because they got an SSD at the same time or just because they installed clean and their old 7 install was riddled with junk? That or they allow it to use that fast boot crap that never really shuts down? I don't. I'm talking about a full clean boot.

My games (Warframe) ran much smoother, less/no stutter. The whole UI of windows parts and added programs are snappy by comparison.

The only things I like better about 10 are little things like the ability to copy/paste into the 'terminal' or paste a registry path into regedit and jump straight to it, but I have had superior (like O&O Regedit) replacements for those that could do that for years anyway. It has DX12....but yeah....who f'n cares. Vulkan.

So in short, Windows 10 is utter and complete garbage (as was 8) in my opinion. It is literally just spy/adware. It does nothing at all that couldn't have just been added to 7 in a service pack.

Order_66, sverek and Tiny_Clanger like this.
  10. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Yeah, thats my experience too, w7 on 8th gen pentiums and i3, mx500 500gb ssd, all prefetch and superfetch stuff disabled.

11. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Same about prefetch, superfetch/sysmain, all disabled. Another example: I am updating my second rig as we speak, W10 LTSB and it took at least an hour to check for and install today's cumulative update + cumulative .NET update. An hour...for 2 minor updates. Like 30 minutes just "checking for updates". I could have clean installed, configured, and updated Linux in that time and had 10 minutes left to play games.

Then afterward while cleaning up the residue it leaves, I was deleting the trash left in "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and when I hit delete, it did a "calculating..." thing for like, I don't know as long as it would take to cut/paste the files to a slow HDD, then popped up the "you must provide admin blah blah", then did the whole "calculating" delay again before moving it to recycle been. Then I emptied the recycle bin....and it did the whole "calculating" thing and warning AGAIN....then spent longer than it would take to write the damned files to a HDD again when actually deleting them! So like a 4 part, redundant and repeated delay procedure just to delete a folder that should be as quick as delete>yes I really want to> zip>done.

This is Windows 10 in a nutshell. Just garbage!

Oh, and as I am typing this, I am STILL waiting for "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase" to complete on that second PC like 20 minutes later.....

Order_66 likes this.
  12. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    i use ltsc 1809 and while it is a turd its the best of a bad bunch. it does take a lot of tweaking i'll admit but its not too bad for my needs once its installed updated and tweaked. trouble is i cant let go of 7 yet, it keeps pulling me. :(

fantaskarsef and AntiSnipe like this.
  13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Cry as long as you want. Microsoft knows better. They have knowledge, they test more apps and devices, if that's their direction, we should comply.

If you encounter any problems, use new machines or hardware devices with much more recent software.

Unless you have unplugged Internet and use PC as guinea pig, or just play those retro apps and games combined with old hardware to recall your youth. :rolleyes:

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Another thread where folks who 'improve their system' by removing/disabling services then annoy us with complains about their system behaving abnormally. Is there a planet we could ship all you folks too? How come I don't have all these weird lag issues and other problems these madcap modders have...aren't they going through the hours of effort to eliminate these? Meanwhile, I do a bog standard install, disable UAC, install Start 10. Take another few minutes set up the desktop and done.
    I must be screwing up somehow in not being able to trigger these issues.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @AntiSnipe
    lol.
    sounds more like a messed up os, as i can (and actually) do those things and it doesnt take longer than seconds until its done, some stuff at 1/10th of the time it took with 7.
    i have the same tweaks applied to 10 that i had before on 7, run a slower nvme than i had before for the OS,
    and everything feels/performs the same (15s to desktop) no matter if 7 or 10.

game fps is the same as well, nor anything else is lagging (gui) when i remove any "delays" etc win applies by itself.
    and with 1909 build i dont need to install 3.5 gb of updates from the start as with 7 (update pack as of dec).
    in short, after doing all the tweaks i did on 7, as well as the ones to change the ui to feel and look like 7,
    i notice no difference in anything, even with half the ram (16 vs 32gb),
    and tick slower os drive nor the dedicated nvme driver like i had with the samsung,
    and im picky on those things, as i expect the performance i paid for, no matter whaty it is.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Anyone got modern tutorial for tuning Windows 10 (1909) to disable useless features and optimize the OS?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what Hemi said.

fantaskarsef and warlord like this.
  18. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    windows 10 can (try to)dial home all it wants but without an internet connection ms gets zip zilch squat kadingus nada. my workstation is offline only.

19. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Nope. I don't tweak it heavily at all. I do watch installs and uncheck all the "start with windows" crap, but I do not "mod" or hack up anything. I disable Windows Defender and System Restore via GPEDIT, and turn off the Superfetch stuff to save wear on the SSD, that's about it. I don't need Windows to run slightly slower all the time (pre-loading crap and indexing) and use up many gigabytes of space (sys-restore, hybernation) just so it can pretend to load someting
    or boot 0.400ms faster later.

I boot in 6-8 seconds to desktop on W10 LTSC (not using fast boot)...so yeah, nothing is "messed up". Windows 10 is a bloated pig, and you folks who think it is not, simply do/must not know what a fast system feels like.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  20. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    10(ltsc) is a turd but it can be polished and an experienced tweaker can make it shine. i will tweak and kludge it and break stuff that other users use but i dont, it just takes patience time and several sources.

AntiSnipe likes this.