Are you still on Windows 7? Upgrade to Windows 10 today as it is still free

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    anticupidon likes this.
  2. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Actually, no, prior to windows 10 most tracking was around windows update and other tracking was opt-in by way of the customer experience improvement program.

With windows 10 most everything is tracked and sent to Microsoft, including personally identifiable information, and some of it is shared or sold to unspecified 3rd party affiliates, this is stated in their privacy policy and also the eula that you are required to accept before you can use windows 10.

Truder likes this.
  3. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Win 7 UI is noticably faster than w10 1809.

4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    You're quite right but I do remember the basic telemetry being "upgraded" when transitioning from XP to Vista but didn't have personally identifiable information (XP had reports you could send but Vista sent them automatically if I recall? I'm not sure). Win10 though, under data protection and GDPR, any personally identifiable information has to be anonymised, particularly if you've rejected the extended tracking. This is a matter for users to be vigilant though to ensure their details aren't being abused (just like websites that try to trick you through accepting all the advertisement settings).

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    lol about the "tone".
    guess i read a different article, quote: ...just a piece of generic advice...
    nothing more nothing less.
    and who is "us"? you and a couple of ppl. the ppl on this forum?
    lots of ppl here havent much of a clue, as many sign up/join because they dont know/have questions.
    i guess they have a perfect install then too?

lets see:
    Dx12 on 7? nope
    booting from nvme? nope
    running the latest ryzen cpu/chipset drivers on 7? nope

and Tele is turned off on mine (so not an argument).
    im picky on boot/loading times, and how win "feels" when i use it with low load and on power savings, and with os/gui "tweaked" in similar way i did with win 7 before (as they arent identical systems), i have yet to see where 7 felt any quicker/snappier no matter what i do.
    win takes the same 15s to boot, even that i now have more tools/software loading on startup,
    and now windows treats ssd's properly (and applies trim, not defrag like on a normal hdd), without me needing 3rd party stuff.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Mineria and 386SX like this.
  6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If Putin can still run XP you can still run 7 lol

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    dx12 works on 7
    you can boot from nvme on 7 (only a uefi firmware is required)
    they can work on 7 just fine.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Windows 10 has memory compression. While it may be bit heavier on CPU, it makes life of devices with only 2 or 4GB of RAM easier.
    Windows 10 runs very well on Atom @2,2GHz with 4GB of RAM. And considering that atoms are low-IPC CPUs and 4C/4T actually behave like 2C/4T, yours C2D/C2Q laptop is likely stronger.

Size_Mick and 386SX like this.
  9. countmurcie

countmurcie Member

GPU:
    AMD 5700
    To fry178

1-DX12 on Windows 7 not functional = correct.

2-Can't boot from NVMe on Windows 7 = incorrect.
    You can't install on an NVMe drive without modded drivers, or god forbid, drivers provided by the manufacturer but you can install on a SATA drive and then use any imaging software, is still use Symantec's Ghost (DOS version) to image it to an NVMe disk like i do with my NVMe Samsung SSD 960.

3-Can't use the latest Ryzen CPU on Windows 7 = incorrect.
    On my ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X:
    -Ryzen 1600 = Zero Problems.
    -Ryzen 3600 (just made the switch last week) = several annoyances but all were corrected by using the onboard USB 2 connectors for keyboard and mouse.

4-X570 Chipset on Windows 7 = I don't know cause i don't have one!

10. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I actually like a lot of the changes from Win7 to Win10. Stability has been a bitch on my end though. My desktop is on 10, but my laptop is still running Win7 and I'm just going to kill the Wifi for now. I use it for mobile audio recording and can't afford to deal with the headache of moving over to Win10 just yet. Ideally, I'll switch to a Linux distro at some point, but I haven't had time to mess with the rt-kernel yet and I only half know what I'm doing with JACK.

11. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Microsoft released a couple of hotfixes for nvme, you just have to inject them into the iso then windows 7 will install and boot from nvme no problem.

And you can use any generation cpu with windows 7 it's just parts of the chipsets have been artificially and deliberately cut off from driver support ie my Z370+8700k works just fine but there are no drivers for the integrated intel 630 graphics, but since I don't use it then it's not a problem for me.

There were also no drivers available for the integrated wifi but I have my own broadcom I like to use anyway.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I use Windows 10 every single day and hate it... it's one of the worst operating systems Microsoft has ever released... or should I say, keeps releasing?... who knows... one of these days Microsoft will figure out how to release a good operating system and also learn how to count past 10.

Why was there never a Windows 9?... because seven ate nine... Lame joke I know.

13. countmurcie

countmurcie Member

GPU:
    AMD 5700
    To Order_66

On my Windows 7 partition, the transition from AMD Ryzen 1600 to Ryzen 3600 was not as simple as:
    Step 1: remove 1600.
    Step 2: insert 3600.

Nowadays, it's not only the chipset that can/will cause headaches but the CPU architecture/motherboard firmware, at least in my case - ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X.
    Naturally i was on the latest ASRock certified Matisse firmware before proceeding and AMD Windows 7 chipset drivers.

Long story very short:
    -I lost 4 back USB 3.0 ports but replaced them with onboard USB 2.0 ports.
    --I now have 8 back USB 3.0/3.1 ports (4 provided by a VIA addon card), 4 back USB 2.0, 2 front USB 3.0 ports all fully functional.
    -Keyboard on USB 3.0 and text based prompt from Windows itself or Windows 98SE DOS (for Ghost) would freeze the computer.
    -It may all be down with ASRock firmware; the next implementation may fixe these annoyances.
    -Absolutely zero problems with the Ryzen 1600.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yeah, I jumped on Win10 bandwagon. It got much better than previous days and finally I justify the switch from Win7. Software got more stable, probably cause of better SSD utilization and optimized Win10 programming.

I also don't have to install drivers for my DAC, since Win10 already got them. Overall, Win10 seems like a fire and forget type of OS. Good for people who don't install their own drivers and just use it.
    I had to uncheck LOTS of checkboxes when installing Win10 though! All mentioning how I could benefit by sending data to M$. No, frack you M$.

Tiny_Clanger and airbud7 like this.
  15. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I had to buy a new key because my Windows has been in activation all year and was somewhat annoying changed my motherboard 3 times last year had the X370 Crosshair6, X570 Strix but that had a faulty 2nd DIMM slot so got an RMA. Problem with OEM keys once you replace the motherboard you need a new key, but saw on Amazon a windows 10 Pro key for £6 so thought to give it a try and it works. Can't grumble at £6 thats like the price of a McRubber Bigmac meal.

airbud7 likes this.

16. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Is this your personal device, or a work device? If it's the former then you can just tweak it until it's like Windows 7. The UI can be the same as it's been since Windows 95 if you use 3rd party apps and do some tweaking. I've used the same layout since Win95 and it just works for me, so I went to the trouble with 10 to make it match. Also I turned off everything new (Microsoft Store, Cortana, etc.) because who the hell wants any of that. Add a few more tweaks and you can have the old Control Panel and everything! Win10 has been the most stable OS from Microsoft that I've ever used, so although I hate a lot of the new stuff, as long as I can remove or disable it, I'm happy. WinAero Tweaker really saves a lot of time making Windows 10 behave, I will add yet again. Yeah, it's Russian software, but no, I don't think there's anything nefarious about it, and it's donationware so you can be a cheap bastard and get it for free.

fry178 and KissSh0t like this.
  17. countmurcie

countmurcie Member

GPU:
    AMD 5700
    To Khronikos

Everything is working fine now.
    -Gaming with AMD RX 5700 = perfect.
    -Browsing = perfect.
    -Video playback = perfect.
    -HDMI capture card = perfect.
    -Realtek AC WiFi, Realtek Audio, NVMe, SATA, Blu-Ray = perfect.
    -Not a single hiccup, same as my trusted Ryzen 1600, except as previously stated, loss of 4 USB 3.0 ports*.
    * There are modded drivers and .inf tweaks to "resolve" these issues but they were less then stable, so no go. Easiest is using the 4 USB 2.0 provided by the motherboard for keyboard/mouse and DOS.

And yes, i have Windows 10 installed on my third (turd) partition! Only for DX12 games.
    First primary partition: DOS for Symantec's GHOST
    Second primary partition: Windows 7
    Third primary partition: Windows 10
    Fourth primary partition: Whatever Linux distro i feel at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Little bit of both, work and play, I tweak it heavily too.. still don't like it, I've used it since it's initial release with a laptop, the main reason I'm putting up with it now on the main pc is the new xbox one wireless adapter doesn't function on anything other than 10, I guess it's just one way to force adoption *shrugs*

I set my Start menu up to look like this using Classic Shell, a little bit of solace for me xD....

[​IMG]

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sorry for OT but +1 rep for still using winamp.

Order_66 and KissSh0t like this.
  20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I cannot complain. I've been pestering Canon to update their drivers to support the MP990 series . Anyhow... yesterday I notice this constant 500kbs multicast stream in Winodws Task manager when the printer is on. Turns out the printer's bonjour service spams my router unless I disable that...somehow that is related...but I digress. In the process of fixing that, I find out after deleting the printer, the original win 7 driver, Windows 10 updates the driver with a new printer applet and now I have full printer and scanner functionality when I had zero scanning function before without using a third party bodge. I almost want to sent them a thank you email. :p