5700 aggressive downclock behavior workarounds

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by connos, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the first loop hitch is just a t hing heaven bench does.

2. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    It's not a thing that happens only on the first loop. It happens every loop at the exact same spots. You can watch the video to see that it happens everytime at the same spot.

• Oh that's easy; Google (kidding)
    • Irregular framepacing
    • Resource bottlenecking
    • Excess drawcalls, api-overhead
    • Frankly myriad of things..
    First launched in 2009, Heaven - that initial "jolting" at launch of the benchmark has been occurring since. There's explaining that stutter. After the initial 5 seconds everything should smoothen out if it doesn't yes that's a different story...
    There's another video? I just saw that one that jolts at the opening and then the rest begins to proceed with the benchmark right?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2019
  3. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Tried it last night. Its running well on my system. All settings high performs the best. There is 2-3 stutters when it gets dark but this happens almost each run on the same spot. Clocks are high, 1800+ with all settings high. If i set all the settings at low then the dowclocking begins and its very aggressive indroducing random stutters here and there. AMD must change this behavior and make the card wait a bid until it reacts to load. It looks like the cards reaction to clocks is miliseconds and its up to how well the game engine is if the 5700 will stutter or not.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019

4. paulco

paulco Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX6900XT
    No stutter here, ran several start/loops (1 hr.).

I should say, wattman not enabled, no 3rd party/other fan control/oc app.(running off vbios only)

ps. might try the newer gb vbios (slightly lower W/amp) sometime.

pss. so hot weather (no a/c) limits me with testing max.(used to it 5-6mths max settings, other detuned to high/med.).

5. shrewm

shrewm Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 660m 2gb
    which card exactly? which bios are you using right now?

6. paulco

paulco Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX6900XT
    Gigabyte RX5700XT Gaming OC, still on original vbios.
    Driver 19.11.3.

7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well, I bought nitro+ for my son, and he does not complain. Have pulse in way too, so I will check it out with it too. Slightly different platform as son has 8700k and I will try with 3700x.
    Had to buy pulse bc I burned old vega64....
    Oh well, happens

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, are these issues supposed to affect 5700, 5700XT or both? I've run Heaven Benchmark on my 970, 470, 1660Ti and 5700....and a myriad of other cards since it was released. Every card I've run it on has "hitched" in the exact same spots.... I've always assumed this was normal behavior.

9. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Drivers 19.12.1 seems to fix the stuttering. I test BFV and is much better. Stuttering now seems to come from the game and not the card. Even with render ahead turn off the game is playable now. Downclocking is still happening but with more stable higher clocks.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah that's what I have been reading on it so far, if it's not CPU limited then the GPU clocks down in response to demand but it doesn't cause the same hitching or stutter behavior and framerate is also more stable though games like Apex Legends, Overwatch and Destiny 2 can still fluctuate a bit due to said CPU demand being a bit higher here. :)

connos likes this.
  11. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Now what remains is wattman. Will we even be able to control the cards frequency? Why is there a minimum setting that does not work?

12. TehBuckets

TehBuckets Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700 XT Evoke
    Did you guys manage to find any fixes for the aggressive downgrading? I bought my 5700 XT Evoke a few days ago, and it just kills me that it performs worst than my rx 580. Also why have the option to fix your minimum gpu frequency when it does nothing?

13. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Which games are you playing?

14. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Latest drivers improved the situation. What games are you playing and how is the performance? You get less fps or stuttering?

15. TehBuckets

TehBuckets Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700 XT Evoke
    Mostly League of legends, Apex, CS:GO, and newer or not so old AAA titles like DMC V. I don't have a problem with the AAA titles, I have problems with League since even on low settings I can't get a stable 144 FPS (I do have a 144 Hz Monitor). What I want is to be able to play E-sports titles on 144 FPS stable, even my rx 580 gave me more stable FPS in league than my 5700 XT does.

connos likes this.
  16. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    You need to do the opposite. You need to increase the graphics settings and resolution to prevent the downclocking. Just need to find the right balance.

17. TehBuckets

TehBuckets Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700 XT Evoke
    And that's kind of my problem. You see what I need is way above 144 FPS, so that my monitor can supply that sweet 144 Hz. I dont need "around" FPS but waaay above. And here is the catch: No matter how I change my settings this god damn piece of work wont do it's job, the card will only work as much as "needed" and nothing more. Turning Radeon Chill on doesnt help. The card doesnt even work at 20% when I am playing league, and I cant manually crank it up, if I change the graphics settings it will only go up by around 5% and give me the same amount of fps (between 100-150). Funny enough DMC V 97th percentile is 143 fps. DMC V is more stable than League of Legends.

Vasil likes this.