Can't increase polling rate for GPU usage

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Deleted member 279881, Jan 11, 2020.

1. So I've set the hardware polling rate to 100 ms and it works for every graph except GPU usage which still only updates every 1000 ms. I've already tried reinstalling both AB (4.6.2) and RTSS (7.2.3), even deleting all the config files/profiles and setting everything up from scratch, but nothing changed.

I should note that the GPU usage graph correctly polls at 100 ms on my laptop, which leads me to believe that it could be related to my Windows installation or computer configuration. I did recently upgrade my GPU to MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z (making sure to reinstall the graphic drivers using DDU).

If anyone could offer some insight on what might be causing this or what other settings I should check, I would be really grateful. Thanks.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    try removing files in the profile folder and start over.
    Default path "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles", back them up if you want first.

I don't know why you would want so high a polling rate but it does work here fine after a quick test.

Deleted member 279881 likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply and suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I also tried with other values below 1000 ms, but the GPU usage graph still wouldn't refresh any faster than the default.

[​IMG]

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    polling rate is only available for sensors using chips and smbus level access, the GPU Util is polled from an API either provided in windows itself or via the NVAPI.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Polling rate is available for all sensors, including Win32 API and NVAPI/ADL based ones. But it is up to sensor implementation (GPU driver in this case) to select appropriate sampling interval and limit it if necessary. Usages are normally sampled once per second.
    And BTW, it is really _bad_ idea to set 100ms sampling interval. It stresses system a lot.

6. I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I will just keep it at the default 1000 ms from now on. Are frametime and framerate graphs less taxing on the system since they aren't technically sensors? I noticed they still refresh in real-time.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

They are not sensors.

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Open graph and right-click on it and enable "show profiler panel" that will show you weighted sensors in the list.
    Make adjustments you want (alter polling rate/enable/disable sensors).