Cherry releases value segment mechanical Switch called Viola

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    High-precision mechanical key switch for premium value. Thanks to a simple design, a unique switching characteristic, and a new contact system, VIOLA replaces entry-level technologies such as rubber ...

Cherry value segment mechanical Switch called Viola

2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Depending on how much clickety-clack these switches make, could it mean the return of mechanical keyboards in the workplace?

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    As long as they're silent, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for a reliable, comfortable keyboard. At the moment I have Asus Cerberus and I like it, I wouldn't be willing to spend more on a keyboard. Plus, I hate the sound and feel of mechanic keyboards.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ban.

Jokes aside, I use a cherry blue leopold keyboard from like 2012 at work and annoy the crap out of everyone. I could see myself buying a cheaper, silent variant. I've had good experiences with cherry so maybe ill look into this

Silva likes this.

5. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I bought a k70 lux rgb with mx reds a few weeks ago after using a MS sidewinder x6 for 16 years, my number 4 key had been temperamental for a long time so i retired her to the scrap heap, the k70 is my first mech keyboard and my first impression when trying the keys was not good, the initial down stroke wasn't too bad but the keys were very noisy when released, so i did a bit of research and got myself a few o rings from a local hardware store....not cheap by any means but they actually dampened the key release noise, now i paid over £4 for 10 and given that i needed 120 to do the whole keyboard i took to ebay and found a pack of 120 o rings for this sort of thing and i paid £2.25 for the 120 and they do help a lot, well worth the money and 20 minutes or so to remove each key to fit the o ring, now i have reasonably quiet mx reds.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can be persuaded to buy 2nd mechanical keyboard for daily use. Even as costly as one I have now. But that next one has to have low total travel (around 2mm max). And actuation point at 1/2 of max travel. (And I would prefer it to be w/o numpad.)

My current keyboard has very fast actuation due to short actuation distance. But bottoming out means longer distance till switch releases contact.
    It took some time before I got used to it as my previous mechanical behaved quite differently. And I see a lot of space for improvement as result.

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Silva
    Lol.
    Mechanical doesn't automatically mean it makes noise and/or that it will feel differently.
    You can get silent switches and add some o rings to prevent bottoming out (no noise), then its just a matter of matching how much force you want on the switch.

rl66 likes this.
  8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Totaly agree, if you chose silent switch and know how to type, you do less noise than a student on a 1st price keyboard with rubber contact... and you will have less pain in hand after a long session.
    Also you can ger silicon ring for mecanical switch (btw it is only 1 by key or it mean that you have chosen the wrong switch).

And it's up to you if you prefer rubber over switch (no it's not about what you think... i have seen your smile...)

9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    @fry178 I know there are various types of switches, with different characteristics: blue, green, red, brown, etc. But even the "silent" ones make more noise compared to my Asus Cerberus (I have tried, they all sound metallic).
    Plus, by the time you finish the hard process of modding said keyboard, how much would you have spent: +100€? I just bought RX580 for 158€, do you think I'm going to spend that on a keyboard? Mine was already expensive as is.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    i can get a red/brown based KB for +50$, the o-rings cost between 5-15$, and it takes the time to pull the cap off and add one ring to it and put it back on.
    I had multiple different ones in the past 2y (because the rig owners wanted something for FPS gaming), and i used them at least after i finished building/upgrading the pc
    just to make sure it worked properly etc, and even the sub 50$ "no-name" units only made sound when the caps bottomed out.
    so not sure what boards you've used.

but the fact that you compare it to your gpu (what has that to do with an input device) and its price (again, what for) tells me enough.
    do you expect me to by the most expensive one, just because i have an 800$ gpu?
    then what about someone that only has on board (lets say office pc), should they limit the cost to some cheap sub 10$ no name plastic KB from the discounter around the corner?
    lmao

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    @fry178 I haven't used any boards, I just tested those at display on major stores from known brands like Razor, SteelSeries and others. They're all +100€ here, unless an unknown brand for 80/90€.
    I think my current keyboard is comfortable and silent enough for my needs, why spend 3 to 4 times more? It's just a keyboard, it will eventually fill with junk and cleaning is a pain, rather buy something new 5 years from now.
    Eventually they die too, my last keyboard went to my mom because hers had died. Recently the one I gave her died too but I preferred to spend 15€ on a Microsoft one to give her. She's happy.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    oh sure, not wasting triple digits on one, but especially with the raised keycaps, i dont have to worry about dust/dirt etc to even get inside.
    and after having bought a few of those no-name clones, virtually all were better than what you would get in same price range coming with membranes.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XR5M...olid=2DSDNRT3KLLAR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0170WGDZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KCKX1Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9767JQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1