Sometimes, one has to tell the truth, but as a joke

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Jan 6, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    DISCLAIMER:
    This post DOES NOT WANT to open a political or ideological debate. If the thread comes near this, please mods lock it down. Gentlemen, behave!

Hello fellow gurus, wanted to share/ask about the awesome roast that Ricky Gervais dropped at the Golden Globes Awards.
    He was the ultimate mad lad for saying what he said, in the way he said, having the audience that he had.
    He roasted live all Hollywood and some big companies. And made a very controversial joke, let's hope he gets lo live until next week.
    Didn't want to provide a link, just look it up. Look it up as in the full version, because he already was censured,and few sites have the full length video around 7 minutes.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Meh. Was he trying to be funny or the world's biggest hypocrite? Did you and he forget who and what he is? It's like watching a drunk tell a pot smoker to lay off the weed.

3. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I heard via Sargon what gervais said about tim cook, funny how the hollywood luvvies back ol polanski.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I honestly do not care about the indignations of hollywood actors and actresses.

I'm sure after a night in their mansions, and waking up to one of their servants with a cup of coffee, the morning light will seem perfectly adequate.

airbud7 likes this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I watched it this morning....LMAO!

Turanis likes this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I used to love watching award shows, but can't anymore due to liberalism. Ricky was pretty funny. I'll leave it at that.

Turanis and airbud7 like this.
  7. I find that the more often one hears the truth, the less painful it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2020
    airbud7 likes this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sadly, the more someone hears something, the more they believe it...at least that is what I was taught, and has proven to be right in my line(s) of work.

9. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    "Its just a.. joke" :D

I'm shocked of their shock,after Ricky Gervais intro.Some older man are not very entertained by Ricky. :D
    Lot of them become fluffy,snowflakes in these days,but the english man is doing his job.
    But,surely,marx and engels,lenin and trotsky,guevara and castro,marcuse and adorno,will be pleased by some in this crowd.

Glad for Brad Pitt,Olivia Colman,Renee Zellweger,Skarsgard,Rusell Crowe and some others who win the GG.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    To be honest, he didn't say anything new from what I understand. He just added salt on the wound.

Yes, it was entertaining to watch super stars getting trashed on and brought to mortals level, but do they really care? They already being criticized in magazines, news paper, internet, all kind of media. Speaker just echo-chambered it.

This is kind of joke that fun at the time, but when it cools down a bit, it's just becomes sad.

11. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :rolleyes:

12. Totally agree ... Zellweger and Skarsgard are ... man not to ignore the other two but they shocked the hell out of me this time around - great jobs

Turanis likes this.
  13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Perhaps you meant a stopped clock. A broken clock may be running too fast or too slow or randomly or not at all...thus may never have the right time...AKA Trump Time.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  15. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    While I agree with a lot of Hollywood celebs on their stances on issues, I do feel that the industry smacks of hypocrisy. Lots of stars will speak out on a topic like, say, gun violence, then go and star in a film where everyone solves their problems with guns.

The main thing is that Hollywood is actually conservative, but many of the actors are liberal thinkers. Hollywood is in the business of making money, period. And that transcends everything else; often this even comes at the expense of the quality of the work. Artists are often liberal, but will, just like any other human with a butthole, compromise their principles to make some o' dat $$$. But, as Adlai Stevenson said, it is often easier to fight for principles than to live up to them.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020

16. lol

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Pretty much this.

People do not often like actors and actresses, but like the roles they play, which were not written by them.

With all those lightbulbs flashing in their faces, I guess it can get quite easy to think that your $hit don't stink and that you must be special in some way. Not too mention of course all of the sycophants wishing poison into their ears, and then there are the agents who tell them they are the greatest people to ever live. Fame and fandom is fleeting. Tastes change. New starlets and stars are already queued up for the conveyor belt as we speak, and few that are on there now will be there at the end.

Just like the Star Wars franchise, stars and starlets get milked for all they are worth and then discarded, like cheap flip-flops you buy when you go to the beach.

Do they really think we would ever care what causes they believe in?

airbud7 likes this.