Next Generation NVIDIA Ampere reportedly to offer 50% more perf at half the power

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, 1.5 times performance at 0.5 times power draw... 3 times power efficiency.

I want to see that.

alanm likes this.
  2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Maybe you'll start posting more constructive replies rather than empty insults.

(Also when you quote my posts don't edit my posts, certainly not within a sentence...it's ok to cut out whole sections of the post, but don't edit my sentences.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Your idea isn't a unique one and has been countless times addressed.

I will quote and address as I see fit,

BVH must be performed within Engine or theres no point to it.
    The design and function of RT within the SM is to perform the final rendering with BVH results in cache.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It's possible to have your cake and eat it too. Speed AND efficiency should go hand in hand. That's the reason why NVidia has had such an advantage over AMD for so long, because their GPUs have greater performance per watt.

Nobody wants to go back to the days of the GTX 480 (or in my case GTX 480 SLi) where the damn thing was practically a space heater. Good for the Winter time, horrible in the Summer. Nah, you can keep it I say!

Maddness likes this.

5. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Naa mate, don't edit my sentences by cutting them short, you change the meaning/significance of my posts otherwise. It's ok to delete paragraphs or sections if they're not relevant, but don't edit my actual sentences. Have some more integrity with your posting and cut out the insults too (your previous post to me).

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I fear that the performace increase will be in the RTX not so much in the GPU performance . JUST MY OPINION and I hope that I am wrong , it seems to me that the gpu's have hit the proverbial wall so in order for customers to have reason to upgrade they had to bring something new where they can show performance improvements like they used to get . So if they increase the RTX performance which should be easy as its pitifull right now they can clame significant overal performance increase , even if the gpu only gets minor bump .

HandR likes this.
  7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    What limits the clocks on 10** and 20** series cards? its not voltage and its not temps, its the 120% power limit that throttles the core. Adding voltage has a detrimental effect, if the power limit was raised then clocks would be pushed higher so temps or stability once again became the limiting factor.

8. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I know right but do they ? They did when AMD had rumors to release Vega 56/64 and released 1080TI that got he both beaten senseless. Its kinda funny how it went back then ...

But now I think they are scared a bit since they've seen what AMD has done to Intel ...

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

nothing was edited, get over yourself.

10. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Once again AMD did nothing to Intel because Intel is not only desktop CPU and in the same way Nvidia is not only graphic cards for desktop business - it's a dragon with many heads.
    AMD needs to innovate on gpu market if they want to take the fight to nvidia (high end enthusiast especially) and I don't think that they have the right people for that right now.
    These rumors are just that: rumors, we will see what is true and what not in a few months but nvidia gave us Pascal - the most power efficient gpu ever (I think) so they have the right people and experience to deliver again ...

11. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    I excpect like double the price.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Lolwut? AMD forced Intel to rethink their whole CPU product line and also release the six-core mainstream probably a year or two ahead of schedule. And then release eight-core mainstream probably at least four or five years earlier than they would have liked to! Intel HEDT is currently dead in the water, and the only reason anyone would buy one is for religious reasons. The only reason the Xeon is still working is because in data centers things move slowly and there's the whole larger supply and economics aspect to consider, in addition to not just buying any components randomly like private citizens or small business would do, willing to wait for half a year if necessary. Nah, AMD did a whole lot, even if it doesn't really show so much in Intel's finances. One reason it doesn't show, though, is because AMD forced Intel to react and then react some more.

I'm fairly sure Mr. Leather Jacket doesn't possess the emotion of fear. Ironically I also don't think it at all impossible for Nvidia to beat AMD to a working MCM GPU design. Nvidia can spend more in R&D than AMD can even dream of, plus, crucially, Nvidia isn't fond of sitting on their hands like Intel.

Maddness likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    color me unsurprised, although more than a bit skeptical about claims at this stage.
    i think in all honesty that Nvidia's experience with laptops gave extra impetus to the die shrink/uArch this time around with thermals/ performance as desktops are ever a smaller slice of the market. AMD has caused Nvidia to look at how much money was left on the table in the mid-range to entry level price points. yes, Nvidia has always maintained a presence in the entire market, but has rarely been called a bang-for-the-buck.
    after having my trusty "old" (i.e. 7th gen Intel/Nvidia) laptop stolen, i needed a hi-perf laptop (gaming lol) and ended up with a black friday special with rtx 2070 and 8th gen Intel.
    we all know that the rtx 2070 is a beast, but given the performance of it under-volted (and whatever else in the mobile) i imagine Ampere will most likely hit those power targets with ease. as far as the raw power under ideal (i.e. custom loop geek-built system) situations that Nvidia is likely to boast, ehhh not-so-much. nobody in this game has ever been that honest at this stage, not least because of custom (not final) drivers. but with that said, we'll have another record breaker (not least pricewise) on our hands to drool over and complain about the high end market strategy.

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    3060 @ 349€
    3060ti @ 499€
    3070 @ 599€
    3070ti @ 749€
    3080 @ 899€
    3080ti @ 1499€

15. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    I don't care about ray tracing. Why do I need a game with a bunch of water puddles just so I can see reflections of things that have no bearing in the out come of my actions? I will simply wait for the 2080ti price to tumble to realistic pricing and only when I like the pricing will I buy a 2080ti for power savings and gaming performance. So I have no need for the $1600 3080ti to look at water puddles and sunbeams. [​IMG]

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It was, you're obviously deficient in a number of ways...we'll leave it there.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    inb4 they announce +50% RT performance and only +15-20% raster performance for x2 the price.

If AMD can offer a 5800XT or 5900XT that increases performance over my 1080Ti by 30% or more I will be going AMD.

18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    50% more performance at half the power don't look very realistic expectation to me. When is the last time this happened? 20-30% more consuming 5-10% less power would sound more realistic.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I wonder if they will even release a 3080Ti variant at first or go back to upper-mid 3080 and release the Ti a year after like the ole days.

I feel like if they launched a ~2080Ti card at a much cheaper price, like $500-600 @ 180w people would buy that up. In newer games the 2080Ti is nearly 40% more performance than my 1080Ti in 4K - I'd take that performance.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    Oh I'm getting one of these!
    Have started saving :D