Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.3 - Download and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mtrai, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Yes I have them too

2. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    To be honest another useless feature that doesnt actually improve anything just can help your games to crash. Example COD MW (instant CTD) and Division 2 a lot of problems.

You see the problem with AMD graphics cards most of the time on paper they look fantastic but in real world they just don't ... or maybe they dont pay enough the game developers to make similar things like "the way its meant to be played". I've seen maybe a few titles RYZEN|RADEON (Division 2 is one of them but HBCC creates a lot of problems there also).

I wish so bad for AMD to succeed to have real competition on GPU market like on CPU market now. Otherwise prices will be the same and even higher ... but now buying ANY AMD GPU you will know that you are 2nd place. Radeon VII is a good card but the price just makes it totally noncompetitive ..

3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    AMD's eqivalent of "The way......" is "Gaming Evolved" Gears 5 is an AMD title

4. Vlooi

Vlooi Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon vii
    I have zero problems with HBCC enabled. Do not generalise.

5. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    Well my second place 5700xt gives me better frames and frametimes in SOTTR and strong numbers in dx12 titles vs 2070s.

bernek likes this.
  6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @mtrai (please have someone look at this)

I don't get it though. Task Scheduler Configuration Tool (2x) Is for AMDLinkUpdate and for InstallManagerApp. Why are these commands lingering in task manager?This posses a security risk IMO. These aren't processes but appears to be commands awaiting a response for something.

I have 'check for updates' set to manual. I've tried disabling stuff in Adrenaline to see if it would disappear from Task Manager and nothing seems to effect it from the GUI.

We have a total of 6 processes just for the video card which is a bit excessive IMO.
    -AMD External Events Client Module
    -AMD External Events Service Modules
    -Radeon Settings Desktop Overlay
    -Radeon Settings Host Service
    -Task Scheduler Configuration Tool (2x)

In all honesty I would like to disable processes that I don't use. But to have 6 just for AMD Radeon Software alone is a tad over the top.

7. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Strong numbers but not beating it I suppose ... my VEGA64 gives quite a good SOTTR perfomance also ;) I just hope big NAVI will challenge 2080TI. I just dont want it to beat 2080 because Nvidia will still have 2080TI and by the time AMD comes with big NAVI they will have Ampere out maybe and its all lost again.

Real competition is what we truly need in order to have lower prices for better GPUs.

Funny is my 1080TI is still going strong:

I guess it takes more than current gen middle tier card to beat this old monster :D

These 1080TI were almost twice as fast compared to 980TI ... I wish I could see this on AMD cards. Like double the performance from one gen to another. But it only happened with 1080TI and 390X if I remember correcly.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm I do know AMD uses a few tasks after Adrenaline 2019 though I've always cleaned those out but I wasn't expecting them to linger around other than well the auto start for Radeon Settings itself and the overlays now.
    DVR one shouldn't even be a thing since it's no longer used and the ReLive and overlays are handled differently through two other files and the ones for AMD User Experience something and Link seems like they should be opt-in instead of defaults.

Well I do a fairly non-standard install after all, run the program and install the driver but don't click the finish and instead rename the two exe files for the overlay so ReLive doesn't boot up and then finalize installation and before doing anything else clean up the tasks it generates and finally open up Radeon Settings and reconfirm settings and such.

With a more thorough driver cleanup for major build upgrades and comparing files and such if anything has changed which is rare but can happen.

EDIT: Oh yeah Radeon Settings now also runs a few extra processes when started and also Power Shell compared to the non-Adrenaline 2020 versions.

Some command line thing some additional process something for QT which I assume is partially for the web browser integration and then some power shell script plus if enabled the other services for the overlay and ReLive in addition to the two runtime services and if using the non-DCH driver also the DSEManager audio service.

Well that one is separate from the Radeon Settings software, doesn't seem to be part of the DCH driver at all but then this doesn't install to C:\Program Files\ but is contained to C:\Windows though this is somewhat altered by then installing the usual CCC2_Install.exe for the control panel even for this driver type instead of using the Windows Store app method for getting the settings software or the "lite" variant I think is the only one available from here.
    (Curious how that will work when or if Microsoft makes DCH a mandatory mode instead of something a bit recommended since Redstone 3 but not required, yet.)

9. zeusola

zeusola Active Member

GPU:
    6700 xt
    I said the same thing a while back and then ppl started attacking me :/, I try to keep my active processes as low as possible.

Others have said you need those 2 processes for Freesync. atieclxx? and atiesrxx? I've just renamed them atm, because I was having so many problems with my RX 580 (never 100% stable, even swapped for another identical card), I tried everything I could think of.

Frames don't even feel smooth with or without those files even in freesync range, I don't know if it ever really worked, sure it works in the Windmill Demo, but nowhere else.

I just reinstalled the latest driver fully and tried to record the windmill demo... none of the recordings came out smooth :/ Using Relive, I tried AVC, HEVC and lowering the resolution. It looked smooth while doing the recording, but not rewatching it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @zeusola
    Do you see:
    -gamebarpresencewriter.exe
    -upfc.exe
    in task manager while gaming?

11. zeusola

zeusola Active Member

GPU:
    6700 xt
    No I don't have either of those. I did a search on C:\ and didn't come back with any results of those file names. I'm only on windows 7 (by choice), will likely go to win10 one day, just for RIS.

I understand why they made the recent Radeon software run more processes, because then they can be spread out over more cores... I presume.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Those are Windows related aren't they? Windows10's Game Mode and it's overlay for the Game Bar and UPFC.exe (System32 folder.) is a Win10 1909 I think it got added in "Updateability From SCM". doesn't say much to me but part of Windows Update taking over from the prior WUSA I believe is what I read it's about.
    (Windows Update Standalone Installer though that exe is still there.)

13. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    After installing the driver just use autorun to disable anything related to AMD and you will only have Radeon Settings Desktop Overlay and Radeon Settings Host Service witch are needed processes. As for the gamebarpresencewriter.exe, yes is active in W10 when gaming but it can be disabled through regedit, only is more complicated because you have to take control. Here the procedure https://di.community/topic/87608-how-to-disable-gamebarpresencewriterexe/

14. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Are all 2019 games working on Windows 7 ? I heard about some DX12 translation/implementation in Windows 7 but not on 8/8.1

Just for fun I would try it but I'm afraid that I'll encounter a lot of problems with Ryzen/AM4 Mobo and so on.

15. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    well lets see[​IMG]

16. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  17. zeusola

zeusola Active Member

GPU:
    6700 xt
    I think the retail version of latest GRID game need Windows 10, but the *cough* copied version works on windows 7.

Microsoft games are the ones that are mostly Windows 10, Forza etc... but just checking it looks like Gears 5 works on Win 7 lolz.

Some recent ones I have that work fine are Mechwarrior 5, Star Wars Jedi Fallen, Phoenix Point, Borderlands 3, Rage.

18. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    COD MW works on Win 7 with the "12on7 DLL" Basically, it's a cutdown version of DirectX 12 on Windows 7. Also, the latest expansion of World of Warcraft (which was the kickstarter of 12on7)

bernek likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not a cutdown dx12, it has all dx12 features available, but with the limitations of the DXGI capabilities of 7 (so no directflip, etc)

D912pxy also supports 12on7 and improve sthe performance of GW2.

MerolaC, bernek, Krteq and 1 other person like this.
  20. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    If you open radeon settings the windows timer resolution from 15,625 becomes 1 and it dont change until you restart.
    You can see your timer resolution with intelligent standby cleaner from wagnard tool.

mirh and Dekaohtoura like this.