Samsung DRAM and NAND plant shut down for up to three days due to power outage as short as one minute

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Oh boy, here we go again.
    Prepare for incoming higher DRAM prices, overpriced GPUs and SSDs.
    High tech BS, if you ask me.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Mesab67, Neo Cyrus and Keitosha like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I don't buy this at all. Pure BS. Any factory such as this will have redundant active backup generators that will instantly kick in.

My bet this is part of their scheme to artificially limit the supply and surge the prices. Outage here, outage there, contamination here and there, some dude sneezing in a wrong direction and yada yada. I don't buy this.

What's next - a roof leak stops manufacturing process for a week? Or a pigeon that magically flew in?

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Wait, that's illegal. You're not supposed to know this.
    /hides.

Neo Cyrus and Keitosha like this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

Keitosha and anticupidon like this.
  6. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Still remember when a flood at one WD factory was used as an excuse to raise HDD prices for like 3 years, including Seagate, and they both had record profits. The blatant collusion and gouging in tech gets really tiresome.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Oh dear, prices were low again.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    As stated . We don't buy this

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Despite being one of the most developed countries in the world, the South Korean power grid apparently isn't praiseworthy.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the cutover to a backup is not clean enough to guarantee that the wafers are cut or masked properly.

11. NaturalViolence

NaturalViolence Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 C216/896MB
    Oh christ here come the loony bin comments again.

A serious roof leak could stop manufacturing for MONTHS easily. A significant leak could quickly destroy billions of dollars of custom built equipment. It's not quite as simple as getting one day day amazon shipping and plugging it back in....

As anyone who has actually used them can confirm backup generators are not guaranteed to work reliably enough or kick in fast enough for something like this. They are designed to help with long term outages. For short term you need a whole building UPS. Of course this is a moot point to begin with since we don't even know if they even had backup generators but of course that never stopped this community from beginning wild speculations about things that they have no information about or even any background in.

Are you claiming the weather is a conspiracy? Or that the flood didn't happen? Or it didn't damage the factory? I mean jesus hundreds of people died in that flood you know. These comments disgust me to read.

Thank you! Anyone who has actually worked in the semiconductor industry would know this. Hell I work in IT and we have problems with generator cutovers with our clients all the time. But these armchair analysts have the nerve to sit here and pretend it doesn't happen just so they can continue to believe whatever they want.

yasamoka and DmitryKo like this.
  12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I couldn't care less. They make billions, and can't afford BOTH active generators and UPS? I don't buy it.

All of those are lies aimed at further inflating the prices.

13. NaturalViolence

NaturalViolence Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 C216/896MB
    Please go take a job as a risk management director in the semiconductor industry so that you can realize that you have no idea what you're talking about. Nobody runs whole building UPS on this scale in developed countries. It's ridiculously expensive and the risk simply isn't great enough to merit it. You would need to have consistent outages every year for it to even begin to make financial sense. And the SK grid is just not unreliable enough to justify that.

yasamoka likes this.
  14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    This is the natural consequence of Samsung price fixing and lying multiple times throughout the years.

15. Geoffc

Geoffc Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I worked on a huge data center design 10 years ago, they had dual redundancy measures for both telecommunications and power from "separate" companies. They don't "kick in" like a UPS as they are always on and if any one point fails it just carries on working from the dual stream. Of course all the main hardware inside the date center was designed for dual power/comms too.

Conspiracy theory or not, my assumption that the worlds largest multi trillion dollar chip plant is not capable of delivering sustained power for a 1 minute stretch is a little hard to believe. Especially as this has happened before and is not an unreasonable risk to mitigate.

Mesab67 and Prince Valiant like this.

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I work in the semiconductor industry growing compound semiconductor crystals and we also have on site cutting and polishing of wafers, honestly even smallest blip in power can cause massive delays in production, whether it's losing the growth of a crystal or having melt back a partially grown crystal that now isn't within spec to start again, this will put you back either several hours or in the case of a complete loss of a crystal several days.

Crystals aren't a simple case of load the material into the puller, push a button and off it goes, it can often take several attempts to grow a single crystal over several days and sometimes weeks.

Cutting the crystal, making sure wafers are in spec and polishing them is also extremely delicate and time consuming work, any interruption in power can lose entire crystals during cutting, and several hundred wafers during polishing.

Having UPS's on everything really isn't an option, they're good enough to keep the control consoles active, but you simply can't have enough of them to keep an entire site active, these machines pull serious power.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    HandR likes this.
  17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    So, someone sneezed and it was acted upon like someone has died.

We can't have anything cheap so it seems. And some wonder why I'm moving towards console only gaming. :rolleyes:

18. Geoffc

Geoffc Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I would say that AMD have played it smart in that regards. Long term vision and innovation on multiple fronts. Intel and NVidia really have milked us into a perilous future for themselves.

19. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I have worked with automation systems for the semiconductor industry for over twenty years and we have several systems in that very Samsung plant. This kind of thing is not all that uncommon. A good amount of the equipment will have a UPS and a fairly seamless switchover when power is lost. However, quite a number of systems do not because they use such huge amounts of power. Things like diffusion furnaces and ion implantation machines use so much power the UPS for one of them would fill a room. One type of system I worked on did chemical processing. If wafers are in an acid tank and it over-etches OR under-etches by only a second or two the entire cassette of wafers can be trashed. That can be millions of dollars worth of silicon rendered worthless in a matter of seconds. We have a UPS on nearly all of our systems and they handle the switchover pretty well but they have to be rather big because robots draw a lot of power.

These and other issues often take production down for hours or days at time. If you read the right publications you will see it happens at least once a week somewhere in the world. We had once case at a fab in San Jose, CA where someone inserted an infected flash drive into one of their computers and they were down for an entire week while they disinfected and reloaded backups for almost every computer in the building. That is, nearly all of them that ran windows. We escaped that one, thankfully, but it's just another example of what can happen and the effects it can have.

Geoffc, yasamoka, HandR and 6 others like this.
  20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Windows?
    As in WindowsCC- Scada?