AMD wants to increase performance per cycle by more than 7 percent annually

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Good luck to them !

We really need it, after so many years of sub-5% Y2Y increases (or even decreases in some cases... AMD guilty of that too)

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Seriously considering Ryzen 4000 for a potential build at the end of this year (yep I had to remember we're in the New Year now!) - will take a look at the reviews, compare it to what Intel is offering and then make my choices...it's looking good for Ryzen 4000!

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    AMD is not tired of winning.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  6. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    An i5 2500K should not be viable these days but it is, because Intel gave maybe 25% IPC increase over 9 years.
    Meanwhile you look at ARM and they manage 15-25% performance increases every year, getting near Intel mobile performance levels now and using a fraction of the watts.
    Intel really held computing back and I'm glad that this dark age of PCs is finally ending.

7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Wow, at this rate I'll have to replace my 6600k by 2026 or so.

8. TechEnthusiast

TechEnthusiast Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti
    Great news, if they can pull it off.
    The 3950X is already close to a 9900K in gaming, but also way more expensive.

For FPS games AMD is already "good enough", but those of us itching for strategy and sim games, we really need that slight edge Intel still has with the 9900K sadly.
    If they manage to break that last stronghold, I can finally switch to Team red for my rig. Nothing I would like to do more than that.

9. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    It should be noted that its easier to do that when you are still on lower levels of performance, while eventually it'll slow down once you have exhausted all the low-hanging fruits for improving performance, and the complexity ramps up.
    The next decade will be truely interesting for ARM to see where they potentially top out and need to slow down - approaching desktop levels of performance, maybe.

As did AMD by not producing worthwhile processors for a decade or so.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Yeah, Bulldozer.
    Never forget.

I wonder which company will pull the next Pentium 4 or Bulldozer cr4p, with new generation having lower IPC and bigger power consumption than previous gen ?
    But I do hope they both learned from those experiences and never do it again.

11. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Good, I postponed my main PC upgrade to later in the year and it sounds like this year might bring lots of cool toys for me to assemble an entirely new system with. Sadly, it seems this year will also see my venerable i7-980X put out to pasture as well. Not worth the power consumption to keep it around as a backup system any more. Still, I got a decade of use out of the X58 platform. Just goes to show how little things have been improving until recently.

12. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Sounds reasonable but we need to switch from silicon in the next 5 years or we are doomed.
    We know clocks won't get over 5Ghz on current silicon tech, 10-15 years to double single thread performance is pathetic.

13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Yeah 5GHz is pretty much the limit and a hard one at that, need to focus on extracting performance with higher instructions per clock.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    It says Defused in USA Defused in Taiwan made in China on the Cpu, I thought Amd was an American company? Oh wait that's the guys who built it for them what's there name again I forgot?

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The attitude is admirable and the effort is commendable, but I have low hopes this is actually going to pan out this way. Zen still has room for maturing, but unless they deliberately hold back optimizations per generation, I don't really see how it's possible for them to cram in that much performance each year, especially without causing regressions. I think it's fair to expect a 7%+ improvement for Zen3 and another 7%+ for whichever generation goes to DDR5, but I don't see how they could do much beyond that.

Much like many American companies, the products are designed in the US but manufactured elsewhere.
    I'm guessing TSMC is the company you're forgetting the name of?

16. Robson

Robson Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070
    I hope they support more and better instructions codes for Physiks and 3D.

[​IMG]

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    uh, i'd have to say 3.9/4 of that picture is wrong.

Alessio1989 likes this.
  18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Right now, i would prefer higher clocks over a small IPC increase.

19. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    [​IMG]

20. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i think they considering improved chip processing
    if we look at this roadmap https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/2788/tsmc-n7-euv-process-starts-shipping/
    tsmc is pretty aggressive with its plan, 3nm by end of 2022
    so amd most likely will also depends on tsmc new processing, rather on their chip-design alone

the bad things that can happen is if the there are any difficulties (delay) in tsmc roadmap, this can cause issue with amd proggression too
    reading at news so far tsmc confident with their roadmap up to 3nm... after that might be more challenge?

well tsmc been pouring money on its R&D
    https://www.techspot.com/news/82610-tsmc-adding-8000-new-jobs-focuses-3nm-beyond.html