AMD based Xbox Series X could have 3584 shader processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DeskStar likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    5800xt incoming. ;)

panogr likes this.
  3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    If this is true, it's for the first time ever that a console is on-par with high-end PCs in computing power.

What a moment to be alive ! (and a gamer...)

Keitosha and DeskStar like this.
  4. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
    i have the same feeling :)

Undying likes this.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Wonder how true this is. considering price points of consoles normally, unless the X series X is going to be in the £600-£800 range? that or they are willing to take a massive hit from sales. It wouldnt shock me if they come out being weaker than this, though guess id be a bit shocked if xbox and ps5 have massively different compute levels

6. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Well as we know from previous generations Sony and Microsoft are fine with selling at a loss since that gets more people in the ecosystem which eventually brings more revenue, and usually after the first year or so the price of the components drops so they are no longer sold at a loss.

7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Shocked and sad.
    I want to have the ps5 ( since i have the 4 ) but if is less powerfull of the xbox i won't buy it :p
    And i won't buy a XBOX because i'm like that.

Seems weird that the difference is so big. Maybe xbox is coming with multiple version at launch?

Loobyluggs likes this.
  8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I'm very curious to see the zen performance coupled with gddr6. I would like it we could benchmark it.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Guys, Jensen has spoken. 2080 max-q is faster than this.

10. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Considering 5700XT has 36 RDNA1 CUs at 1750 and Anacoda 56 RDNA2 at 1700, while having Jensen talking down the new consoles it will be funny to see the faces of all those splashed £1200 for their RTX2080Tis and 3080Tis.

waltc3 and Brasky like this.

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    The ps5 specs are believable but the xbox x specs seem too good to be true either way the consoles are shaping up to be decent looking power houses.

12. MaKerUltra

MaKerUltra Guest

GPU:
    In regards to how they're going to get these expensive machines in people's hands-
    I've heard from a friend in retail say they're working on the presumption that they want to sell this new generation the way mobile phones are sold.

So finance over two years plus access to services like Microsoft gamepass.

jbscotchman likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That sounds very optimistic, new phones are close to 1000$ and even 500$ would be pretty expensive for the console units to a lot of people but even at a loss or hoping PSNow / GamePass covers it over a period of time I have no idea how Microsoft or Sony could get higher-end components into the upcoming consoles without pushing a higher than before price level and maybe having cheaper models but I don't know what they could do there other than the possibility of a refresh Pro / X model higher-end in a few years again but that's a price increase not a decrease.

Will be very interesting to hear the announcements and what they're going to actually price these at.

EDIT: Well I don't expect the retail price to be quite identical but probably above the 399$ range possibly even hitting over the initial PS3 price at 599$ I think it was?

Still cheaper than a comparable PC but I have no idea how that's going to work or how it will be received if it's going to be some 700+ USD / EUR cost for these.
    Or perhaps it won't and they'll take a bigger loss on the actual hardware to push prices down and sell with expectations of making it back over the next few years through the games, services and subscriptions and such.

Going to be interesting to hear how it's going to end up. :)

14. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    I'll buy whichever console screws up the launch less.
    Last time that was PS4 though eventually I did get an Xbox One and it's honestly a great console now. But remember the original Xbone announcement?
    -Kinect required to operate the console and turn it on
    -Must be online all the time for daily license checks
    -No playing used games or letting friends borrow game discs.
    -$499, with shared DDR3 and weak hardware and much of the RAM reserved for the OS

Then Sony said $399, none of that bs, and more powerful hardware and the console war was over before it began.

Fox2232 and Keitosha like this.
  15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Or it could just be like previous generations of consoles, sell the console at a loss with the intent of making the money back via subscription to play multiplayer video games.

At least this is my understanding of what happened in the past.

16. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Companies always sell consoles at a lost. Money is made back on subscription and games, services etc.

Early days of specs, obviously will change. Depending on many things.

Will be interesting to see what other things will be used in software as well.

Regardless of power. It's the games that matter and os and other things these consoles will be capable of.

17. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    The launch date is one year ahead, it's too early to be sure and some specs can easily change (like GPU CUs). Let's see.
    I'm expecting both hardware to be very close spec wise, much like xone e ps4.
    Finally, even if hardware difference is like the article says, the games are what matters most as always (or it should be). :D

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  18. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    What makes you think that? Semi-customs, be it monolithic or chiplet which remains to be seen, have nothing to do with AMDs discrete graphics chips. They share the same IP blocks, but that's it, no matter if there's 56 CU, 100 CU or 10 CU it doesn't tell absolutely anything about any discrete chip AMD might release in future.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why? Are games for the new consoles going to run worse on those cards?

20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    A 56 CU Navi sounds impressive as 5700XT is 40 CU. We're looking at a 40% jump in CU, if the performance jump is linear that means it would be better than 2080S and trade blows with 2080Ti. On a console. What hardware will I need to run a game in 2021? F*ck!