MSI Optix MAG272QR 27-inch monitor offers 1440P at 165 Hz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Theres a typo on the title of the article, saying its 65hz instead of 165hz. :)

3. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    Hi Hilbert, you should look at the Lenovo Y27gq - 1440p, 240hz, 0.5ms response time

4. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Yeah but it's a TN panel

5. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Seems a bit overpriced. Must be the stand and all that RGB bling on the back bumping up the price. I think I'd rather have a 32 inch VA for cheaper before considering this. If I wanted 27 inch, I'd probably go for an IPS 144Hz variant and save some dough.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    A lot of the monitors coming out are still TN panels..... Considering monitor pricing, some of us have no issue with TN panels if it means reasonable pricing.... (No, $350+ is NOT reasonable.....not even remotely....)

7. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    I cannot find such a monitor. Can you link it? The closest I come is the Lenovo Y27gq-20. The exact same specs as this MSI monitor in the article for only $700.... I did find a couple of references to the Lenovo Y27gq - 1440p, 240hz, 0.5ms, but they were indicating $999...

8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    They are still some of the best screens for fast action twitch shooters.

9. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/access.../Lenovo-Legion-Y27gq-25-Monitor/p/DD116LPY27G

Looks like it's supposed to launch Q1 or early Q2 next year. I couldn't find any information on the price.

10. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    This can be a banger, quality VA-panel under 400 € is something what the market wants. I'm not saying current ones are any bad, but they include compromised factors such as color accuracy, black smearing, maximum brightness, sharpness, etc. Decent overall VA-monitor is welcome without any nasty setbacks. That 165 Hz is a nice bonus and it looks like the stand rotates. Also this monitor looks slightly better than earlier Optix models, still being rather gamey though.

11. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I have last year's 144 Hz version (switched to it from a Dell S2716DGR, which is a 144 Hz 1440p TN panel). I'd give the Dell a slight edge in color accuracy, but the MSI Optix is better on pretty much every other front:
    • Much better color saturation and contrast
    • No ghosting (unlike the Dell)
    • Feels just as responsive, despite being a VA panel
    On paper, it seems like a sidegrade, but it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade for the $250 I paid for it.

If this new 165 Hz version is the same quality, it will be good. I'm just not sure if it's worth it to pay for the extra 21 Hz (especially at $350). Some of my friends with 165 Hz monitors also mentioned having to drop them to 144, due to lack of support in some games. Not sure if that's still true.

GamerNerves likes this.