5500 Series Cards Reported to Perform better using PCIe 4.0

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Eastcoasthandle, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Disclaimer:
    The AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT is a graphics card with eight connections to the PCI-E slot. The effects of a faster connection through the PCI-E slot are therefore far more important than with almost any other graphics card, since the latter are usually connected with 16 lanes.

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Out of all the games tested BF V showed the largest gains in minimums using pcie 4.0.

4. EtherPhoenix

EtherPhoenix Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 GX
    Seriously?o_O
    Why every single solitary thing they made have some annoying cut? Ryzen memory write bandwidth cut, now that.. can amd make anything without compromises? :mad:

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Its a card specifically designed for PCIe 4.0. Oh well. Progress...

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Don't wan to break it to anyone, but 4G vs 8G version of same card with same PCB.
    Someone with just 4G version can reduce textures a bit, and then there is no longer need to cache data from system memory.

OnnA likes this.
  7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Seems more like a step backwards. 5500 cards are pretty much entry level and shouldn’t be bottlenecked by PCI-e x8

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I see the vision. Once next gen games come out everyone is going to want next gen PC hardware. Think about it. What average joe out there has a 8 core 16 thread cpu now? Not many. Perhaps enthusiasts but not everyone. And it's it's true that next gen will have some sort of hybrid RDNA 2.0 gpu that handly beats even the 5700xt. Everyone would need to upgrade in some form in order to play nextgen games at higher fps.

A 1st, evey next gen consoles have always been a down grade for PC gamers. If the rumors are true for this nextgen most will need to upgrade in order to keep up. Lets contemplate games like Halo, SlipSpace Engine, Cyber Punk, etc. If we know they will work best on console with at least 8 cores why would you think it, a console port for pc, will work well on PC with just 4 cores, for example? I can see Vulkan being a valuable api in such examples.

I think the hardware coming out now and in the future will be the bare min. needed. So a lowly 5500 card needing PCIe 4.0 is going to be the bare min. Having at least a MB with PCie 4.0 will at least force consumers to consider at least an 8 core cpu IMO.

9. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I’d agree if we were talking a 2080 Ti competitor, but certainly not an RX580 replacement card. There is no way the 5500 should have any sort of bottleneck. Especially the sort we are seeing here. No one is going to by a high end X570 motherboard and then pair it with a lowly 5500 series GPU. That just makes no sense at all.

10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It doesn't make sense if you still believe that PC hardware now will be more then adequate for nextgen hardware. The problem is that the writing on the wall says it won't be.

Right now, there is no need for such things. We will have to wait until nextgen drops to see if that turns out to be true.

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say there.
    I think you might mean this gen hardware won't be adequate for next gen games. But that has nothing to do with the 5500 being bottlenecked with PCI-e gen 3. It's basically an entry level card now and should be able to run at PCI-e gen 2 16x without any sort of bottleneck. The card is simply not powerful enough to saturate it. It may well be something AMD rectified in a future motherboard bios update or driver release.

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    No, what I'm saying is that it was specifically made for PC parts that you think are higher-end. When in fact they are made for pcie 4.0. It appears that you only see things from a Nvidia perspective.

The card was made specifically for pcie 4.0. What you think is not adequate unless it's a Nvidia 2880 TI which is a ridiculous statement. The results are clear 5500 works better at pcie 4.0 at x8. If you want the best benefit from that card you must use pcie 4.0. There's nothing more to it other than that. o_O

As newer cards are release I assume they too will take advantage of pcie 4.0 instead of 3.0 as part of advancement. Simple as that.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I think you and I have gotten off on the wrong foot and misunderstood what each other is trying to say. That was not my point at all. Sorry for the confusion.

Chess likes this.
  14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Oh my apologies then, it's all good.

Chess and Maddness like this.
  15. okejokej

okejokej Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7750 1GB
    The problem with this thing is that all info available points to B550 and A520 chipset NOT supporting PCIe 4.0. It's a big blunder on AMD's side to release a (what is nowadays considered) low-mid tier GPU that only spreads its wings on PCIe 4.0, but then release a corresponding low-mid tier chipsets WITHOUT PCIe 4.0 support. People who buy this kind of card most of the time are not people who will cash out on a X570 chipset, it's completely mismatched market targets.

This completely invalidates any possible arguments that it needs PCIe 4 because it's meant for new, modern hardware, when said new hardware itself will not support PCIe 4. Someone at RTG just messed up.

16. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Because new tech always will be adopted by the high end stuff before trickeling down to mid and low end. Early adopters pay for these new technologies.

I still think there is something wrong with the Intel motherboard used by pcgameshardware. https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-rx-5500-xt-review,5.html Hilbert himself did not notice any difference between PCI-E 3.0 and 4.0. Most 5700 XT reviews see a sub 1% performance increase when switching to 4.0.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The 5500 XT also doesn't see an improvement... with the 8 GB model.
    There is no PCIe bottleneck technically, saying you need PCIe 4.0 on a entry level GPU when much faster GPU's work fine on even PCIe 3.0 8x is misinformation.
    That being said, the 5500 XT 4GB model does benefit from PCIe 4.0 in a unique way. Since the card is memory starved, game data needs to be swapped in and out of VRAM. The high speed of PCIe 4.0 makes this constant swapping less of an issue.
    PCIe 4.0 is being used as a workaround effectively. The bottleneck of the 5500 XT 4GB is still the VRAM size though. And as you pointed out, doesn't make much sense getting a motherboard that cost as much as your GPU.

Maddness likes this.
  18. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

W5700 shows better results under PCIe4.0