Ryzen 4000 rumors: Allegedly can offer an up-to 20 percent extra perf over Ryzen 3000

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Most of the time a CPU spend is waiting for load and store operations into system memory. Solve this and you will be one of the richest person of the world (you could have better luck trying to purge object oriented design in the entire world in favour of data oriented though!). But anyway, since most of consumer real-word CPU-demanding software rely on SIMD, FPU improvements (whatever AMD PowerPoint team meant) are always welcomed. As for integer operations, nobody cares about them any-more in consumer software.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Did you forget about caches?

3. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    nah, its just why upgrade from ddr4 to ddr4, you know? doesnt make sense to me, rumors had it both ways, lets see how it turns out

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Cache speed is not an issue compared to system memory.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Carfax
    sorry, thats when you buy TR.

6. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    As i stated i am biggest AMD fanboy in history. So, this is a reason i wrote 3 out of 100, and yes, this is a exaggeration, we both know that. I am subjective, You remain objective, but i do really think AMD is complete winner. I just hope, others can see that too. Considering everything - price, performance, etc, etc......

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I've been putting off upgrading to Ryzen for 3 generations now... Give me a 12/24 with gaming performance of Intel and I'll finally jump the ship. I'm in no rush, if anything, I'm glad I've put off upgrading over the last 2 years.

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Market share, games. He did say AMD doesn't beat Intel in every regard. You yourself said, games... That's a regard. lol.

I'm with him. I'm not one to run multithreaded benchmarks on my cpu to epeen all over the place. I game. I want the best gaming performance.

And more cores also will come handy now that the next gen consoles will fully utilize more threads. So a highly clocked, high IPC cpu will no doubt be on top of my list. Along with a new gpu. But that's not until late 2020 or early 2021.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I've been building almost nothing but Intel systems for 12 years now with all Intel builds for myself. My next build is going to be AMD simply because I'm bored with Intel systems and they are basically neck and neck for gaming and AMD is superior in pretty much every other metric. I was going to do a Ryzen build in the next few months but I may hold off for this newer, 4000 series. My 4790K is still alright. Mostly. And I like the sound of 20% better IPC.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Zen 4 will fix it with DDR5

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You know better then me that DRAM performance cannot be increased by 2 order of magnitude in the near future.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Clockwise, no.

DDR5 is evolving the interface so you have channels per module, multiplying effective throughput at the same clockrates and rise and fall operations.

[​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I have to say I generally agree. But that's why CPU designers invented OoO, SMT, prefetching etcetera to mask memory latency. The on die caches these days are getting bigger and faster, and their algorithms more intelligent.

DDR5 alone won't solve this problem, but it will help a tremendous amount when combined with those aforementioned technologies. The huge L3 cache on Zen 2 is the biggest reason why Zen 2 is now competitive with Intel CPUs when it comes to gaming. And coincidentally, the reduced L3 cache per core in HEDT Skylake-X is the biggest reason why those CPUs are generally slower in gaming compared to the mainstream parts.

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    AMD is sticking to the DDR4 and the AM4 socket for Zen3. In 2021 is when AMD moves to a new socket which they must to support the additional pins for DDR5.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Just goes to show that upgrades are not safe anymore, especially for enthusiasts. I recently got hold of a 3950X and it stomps all over my 2 year old 1950X, a HEDT CPU - same number of cores but the 3950X performs 30% faster in BOINC with 50W less. An additional 10% - 20% improvement with Zen 3 would make Matisse all but redundant (the 4950X might stomp all over my 3950X).

The typical upgrade cycle for PCs is about 2 years for GPUs and 5 years for CPUs but that seems to be changing. It might now be advisable to make CPU upgrades 2 years as well, based on how rapidly it is progressing (helps that AMD keeps the socket for a long time). It's an exciting time to be a PC enthusiast.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You can't be a complete winner if you don't win at everything, aka "complete". This coming from someone who would never buy an Intel processor unless AMD no longer existed. More because i can't stand Intel then i am an AMD "fanboy".

That being said i see no logical reason for someone to buy an intel processor currently, but if someone wants the top top top gaming performance in the games that matter to them, that's their legitimate reason. Just may not be a practical reason.

Solfaur likes this.
  19. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    This will have even better IPC than Intel's Ice Lake

20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Well you could put Hbm stacks on package like a gpu to get that kind of bandwidth, not that it would be very economical . 1tb/s + is doable. Would not surprise me to see hbm used as a large level 4 cache.